locked Auto-responder for group owners/moderators, does it exist?


Christopher Hallsworth <challsworth2@...>
 

Hello everyone.

The subject line says it all. So is there a way to set up auto-responders for group owners and or moderators? For example, say one or more owners and or moderators are away on vacation and cannot access email, an auto-responder could be set up to notify either the entire group or its individual members that the owners and or moderators is or are away and will approve your request on a given date or when they return home and regain access to email. If not, then just a suggestion but could this be implemented in the not too distant future?

Thanks for any responses. Very much appreciated.

Kindest regards Chris


 

Hi Chris,

On Sun, Nov 6, 2016 at 11:36 PM, Christopher Hallsworth <challsworth2@...> wrote:

The subject line says it all. So is there a way to set up auto-responders for group owners and or moderators? For example, say one or more owners and or moderators are away on vacation and cannot access email, an auto-responder could be set up to notify either the entire group or its individual members that the owners and or moderators is or are away and will approve your request on a given date or when they return home and regain access to email. If not, then just a suggestion but could this be implemented in the not too distant future?

We don't currently have that feature. How would you want it to work in a situation where a group has more than one moderator? 

Thanks,
Mark 


Christopher Hallsworth <challsworth2@...>
 

Well, it could be set up on a pwer owner basis? I know groups.io currently can distinguish who is owner, who is moderator and who is member, so you could set up an autoresponder for the main owner, but not for the other owners or moderators. So yes, I'm thinking a per owner setting could be implemented.

On 15 Nov 2016, at 21:43, Mark Fletcher <markf@corp.groups.io> wrote:

Hi Chris,

On Sun, Nov 6, 2016 at 11:36 PM, Christopher Hallsworth <challsworth2@icloud.com> wrote:

The subject line says it all. So is there a way to set up auto-responders for group owners and or moderators? For example, say one or more owners and or moderators are away on vacation and cannot access email, an auto-responder could be set up to notify either the entire group or its individual members that the owners and or moderators is or are away and will approve your request on a given date or when they return home and regain access to email. If not, then just a suggestion but could this be implemented in the not too distant future?

We don't currently have that feature. How would you want it to work in a situation where a group has more than one moderator?

Thanks,
Mark


 

Christopher,

Well, it could be set up on a pwer owner basis?
That's likely possible. But I think the question then is what happens when more than one moderator is on vacation? Does the member get a notice from each of them? That seems a bit overkill.

But I think the real problem is that gives the wrong impression if there are other moderators still active - the member probably doesn't care *which* moderator handles his/her message; but getting a "vacation" response from one (or more) implies that no one is handling the inbound messages (that's the usual meaning for an email box).

So perhaps one could set it up so that the vacation response is issued only if *all* of the owner/moderators are on vacation. But that too has problems if some have gone permanently inactive, unless other mods can set/unset that status on their behalf.

The other option is to have it be a single setting on behalf of the whole moderation team. That way they present a united front to the members. But the individual moderators may have imperfect knowledge of each others' status. So that too has problems if one moderator sets it but others are still active, or if everyone goes on vacation but no one thought they were the "last one out".

There may be an obviously right answer to this, but I haven't thought of it (yet?).

At the moment I'm leaning towards each moderator having their own setting, and the message sent only if all are "on vacation". This has the property that if there's only one owner/mod it works as expected.

Each mod's status should be shown in a column of the Moderators list so that the management team can be aware of each other's status. Probably there also an ability to set the status on behalf of an inactive moderator.

Another idea: maybe instead of just a vacation checkbox, it should be a date/time field that lets each moderator set an "I'll be back on" date, with "Off" and "Never" both being available choices.

Shal
https://groups.io/g/Group_Help
https://groups.io/g/GroupManagersForum


Christopher Hallsworth <challsworth2@...>
 

Ok, good points there and let's try your approach and see how that goes. I like the date time field approach too.

On 16 Nov 2016, at 08:55, Shal Farley <shals2nd@gmail.com> wrote:

Christopher,

Well, it could be set up on a pwer owner basis?
That's likely possible. But I think the question then is what happens when more than one moderator is on vacation? Does the member get a notice from each of them? That seems a bit overkill.

But I think the real problem is that gives the wrong impression if there are other moderators still active - the member probably doesn't care *which* moderator handles his/her message; but getting a "vacation" response from one (or more) implies that no one is handling the inbound messages (that's the usual meaning for an email box).

So perhaps one could set it up so that the vacation response is issued only if *all* of the owner/moderators are on vacation. But that too has problems if some have gone permanently inactive, unless other mods can set/unset that status on their behalf.

The other option is to have it be a single setting on behalf of the whole moderation team. That way they present a united front to the members. But the individual moderators may have imperfect knowledge of each others' status. So that too has problems if one moderator sets it but others are still active, or if everyone goes on vacation but no one thought they were the "last one out".

There may be an obviously right answer to this, but I haven't thought of it (yet?).

At the moment I'm leaning towards each moderator having their own setting, and the message sent only if all are "on vacation". This has the property that if there's only one owner/mod it works as expected.

Each mod's status should be shown in a column of the Moderators list so that the management team can be aware of each other's status. Probably there also an ability to set the status on behalf of an inactive moderator.

Another idea: maybe instead of just a vacation checkbox, it should be a date/time field that lets each moderator set an "I'll be back on" date, with "Off" and "Never" both being available choices.

Shal
https://groups.io/g/Group_Help
https://groups.io/g/GroupManagersForum



 



On Wed, Nov 16, 2016 at 12:55 AM, Shal Farley <shals2nd@...> wrote:

That's likely possible. But I think the question then is what happens when more than one moderator is on vacation? Does the member get a notice from each of them? That seems a bit overkill.

But I think the real problem is that gives the wrong impression if there are other moderators still active - the member probably doesn't care *which* moderator handles his/her message; but getting a "vacation" response from one (or more) implies that no one is handling the inbound messages (that's the usual meaning for an email box).

So perhaps one could set it up so that the vacation response is issued only if *all* of the owner/moderators are on vacation. But that too has problems if some have gone permanently inactive, unless other mods can set/unset that status on their behalf.


Which vacation response would be sent in that case, if everyone has their own vacation response?

One thing I've been contemplating is adding a status field for every profile. Just a text line. You could use it for whatever you wanted. For moderators on vacation, you could change it to say 'response may be slow, I'm off-line this week...' or whatever. I'm not sure about an automated email with this, but it'd be easy for people to look these up in the member directory.

Mark


Maria
 

On Wed, Nov 16, 2016 at 01:35 pm, Mark Fletcher wrote:
One thing I've been contemplating is adding a status field for every profile. Just a text line. You could use it for whatever you wanted. For moderators on vacation, you could change it to say 'response may be slow, I'm off-line this week...' or whatever. I'm not sure about an automated email with this, but it'd be easy for people to look these up in the member directory.

That's a cool idea. 

Maria


 

Mark,

Which vacation response would be sent in that case, if everyone has
their own vacation response?
I knew I didn't have it all figured out. ;-)

I think it would have to be a message set for the group, one more 'Member Notice' (or 'Response Template'). I like the idea of leveraging those features -- storing multiple variations and setting one as active (default). Only the "On vacation" setting (checkbox or date/time) would be per moderator.

One thing I've been contemplating is adding a status field for every
profile. Just a text line. You could use it for whatever you wanted.
That's also interesting, and a step in the direction of having "social" features in the profile.

I recommend that users' changes to this field be recorded in the activity log, so moderators have an ability to cope with inappropriate status messages. As a moderator I don't know if I'd want email notification of status updates, but maybe. That should at least be considered in the notification overhaul (I might want only a daily digest of these, versus immediate notification for things like pending messages and members).

Shal
https://groups.io/g/Group_Help
https://groups.io/g/GroupManagersForum


Linda
 

On Wed, Nov 16, 2016 at 01:35 pm, Mark Fletcher wrote:

One thing I've been contemplating is adding a status field for every profile. Just a text line. You could use it for whatever you wanted. For moderators on vacation, you could change it to say 'response may be slow, I'm off-line this week...' or whatever. I'm not sure about an automated email with this, but it'd be easy for people to look these up in the member directory.

For groups that don't use the member directory, especially, I'd prefer an optional automated response to members who post messages requiring approval.

Thanks,

Linda