locked Problem with invalid email address?


 

I have a potential member, from one of the Yahoo groups I moderate, who has had trouble getting registered for Groups.io. He reported in a Yahoo group a problem joining groups.io groups. His email address is larryjohn216@....

I just tried to invite this email address to one of my groups here and get an error message: "Invalid email address"

Anyone know what the problem is or know of a way to work around this issue?



 

On Sun, Nov 6, 2016 at 06:20 am, Roy Barnes wrote:

I have a potential member, from one of the Yahoo groups I moderate, who has had trouble getting registered for Groups.io. He reported in a Yahoo group a problem joining groups.io groups. His email address is larryjohn216@....

I just tried to invite this email address to one of my groups here and get an error message: "Invalid email address"

Anyone know what the problem is or know of a way to work around this issue?

 I see the actual email address was fig leafed in my message. The address is larryjohn216 at yahoo.com


 

It's ironic that the need for figleafing in a public group has finally, by this example, made very concrete to me. This is a public group, and now that person's email address has been blasted to the world at large.
--
J

Messages are the sole opinion of the author. 

I wish I could shut up, but I can't, and I won't. - Desmond Tutu


Maria
 

On Sun, Nov 6, 2016 at 06:22 am, Roy Barnes wrote:
I see the actual email address was fig leafed in my message.

Roy, It's figleafed because this is a public group with public archives. 

I would suggest you contact the support address for groups.io instead of posting someone's private contact info here.

Maria


Jeff Powell <jrpstonecarver@...>
 

To answer your original question directly, yes, I've seen this before with a perfectly valid email address. The groups.io developer has some code in place to look for spam addresses and reject them, and that code takes some tuning, apparently. The address you listed (which I have obscured below) is perfectly valid, but the software doesn't think so for some reason. Send an email to support@groups.io with the details and it will get resolved. That's what we did. And with luck the code gets tuned a bit more each time and this issue goes away.

--jeffp


On Sun, Nov 6, 2016 at 06:20 am, Roy Barnes wrote:

I have a potential member, from one of the Yahoo groups I moderate, who has had trouble getting registered for Groups.io. He reported in a Yahoo group a problem joining groups.io groups. His email address is xyzzy@....

I just tried to invite this email address to one of my groups here and get an error message: "Invalid email address"

Anyone know what the problem is or know of a way to work around this issue?


 


 

On Mon, Nov 7, 2016 at 7:12 AM, Jeff Powell <jrpstonecarver@...> wrote:

To answer your original question directly, yes, I've seen this before with a perfectly valid email address. The groups.io developer has some code in place to look for spam addresses and reject them, and that code takes some tuning, apparently. The address you listed (which I have obscured below) is perfectly valid, but the software doesn't think so for some reason. Send an email to support@groups.io with the details and it will get resolved. That's what we did. And with luck the code gets tuned a bit more each time and this issue goes away.

Jeff's right. I've removed the code in question and contacted the person having problems registering, as they should be able to register now.

Thanks,
Mark 


larryjohn216@...
 

On Mon, Nov 7, 2016 at 09:32 am, Mark Fletcher wrote:
Jeff's right. I've removed the code in question and contacted the person having problems registering, as they should be able to register now.

Thanks,
Mark 

Mark, I am one of the persons that was having trouble registering at groups.io due to an "invalid email address." I received an email from you that I was the victim of some overactive anti-spam measures that have been fixed. I was able to register at groups.io with no problem now. Thanks for your help Mark.