moderated improve/fix logging, etc., of "set display name via email" action #suggestion

Mark,

There's a log entry "set display name via email." When it appears, especially in the case of a generally inactive member, I usually look into the member's activity log to see if there's a similar entry there (there never is); I check the member's page to see if I notice anything different about their display name (there usually is, although there has been no other activity logged for the member, often within months); I check my inbox to see if there's any email from the member, to either the owner or group address (there never is); and I endeavor to do a search for this action by other members by using the dropdown in the group's Member Activity log (which fails because there is no such search criterion in the dropdown).

So here are some questions and suggestions: Suggestions:
- If this action is logged in the group's Message Activity log, also log it in the member's Activity Log.
- Add both "set display name via email" and "set display name via web" to the group's Message Activity search dropdown

Questions:
- What triggers this log entry other than an email from the member - how can it be logged if there was no email? Is it triggered by anything else?
- The former policy, as implemented by request in this group (possibly by me?), was not to change the display name via email unless there has been no display name previously set. So why is it being allowed to be "changed via email" at all if it already has a value?

I have thought for some time that there are some odd things going on with the "set display name" log entries. Hopefully these specific questions and suggestions will be a prod to clear things up a bit! Thanks!

On Fri, Mar 15, 2019 at 07:40 AM, J_Catlady wrote:
why is it being allowed to be "changed via email" at all if it already has a value?
I forgot to mention that our group immediately sets each member's display name, upon approval, to their first name plus their cat's name. So it is obvious when it has been changed to, e.g., their first and last name and no cat's name.

p.s. Mark, I'm now guessing that possibly, the display name changes when the member changes their "name" field on their email address, regardless of group. I still think this should be logged in the member's activity history as well as the group's member activity log, and I still think the change should be prevented in the member's groups in which the display name already has a value. So if this is the case, my updated request is to

(1) fix the oversight (or bug) where a member's display name in any particular group changes via email because their email name changes, if it has already been set in that group (i.e., don't allow the change);

(2) add "set display name via email" and "set display name via web" to the group's member activity search dropdown; and

(3) log any display name changes in the member's activity history as well as the group's member activity log

Hi J,

On Fri, Mar 15, 2019 at 7:40 AM J_Catlady <j.olivia.catlady@...> wrote:

There's a log entry "set display name via email."

This is triggered as follows. Someone sends an email to one of their groups. We look at the display name on their user record as well as the display name on their subscription (they can be different). If neither of those fields are set, we try to pull the user's name off the From line in their email. That's what happens with 'set display name via email'. We set their display name on all their subscriptions, and we generate an activity log entry for each group they are subscribed to.

When you, as a mod/owner, set someone's display name, you're setting it just on their subscription record.

Someone can set their display name via the /account page, which sets the display name on both the user record and on all their subscription records. This generates a 'set display name' activity log entry for each group they are subscribed to.

If someone already has a display name and is changing it to something else, the log entry says 'changed display name from X to Y'. But in the system, it's the same type of log entry as the 'set display name' entry (the idea being that it might look weird if the entry said 'Changed display name from nothing to Y'). So, when you look in the drop down action list, you will only see 'Changed display name', because there is only one log entry type for this action. But maybe I should just have it be 'Changed display name from nothing to Y' to avoid confusion?

On Fri, Mar 22, 2019 at 01:16 PM, Mark Fletcher wrote:
If neither of those fields are set, we try to pull the user's name off the From line in their email.
Mark,

Thanks for the clarification. The problem, and/or misunderstanding, I'm having, is that I or someone, had previously requested, and you agreed, that the display name would be harvested from email only if the member didn't already have one set. I understood that to mean "if the group display name is not already set." But now you're saying that even if the member already has a display name set in the group, that will be overridden if they change it in their user record.

As before, prior to your implementing the request not to change it if it was already set (for which I understood "it" to mean "their display name in the group"), this is problematic for our group, since display names keep changing around and we have to keep resetting them. I was hoping that you would be able to bypass the change in each individual group for which they already had a name set. But if nothing can be done about it, then nothing can be done. (It's at least not as bad as when it changed each time they sent a group message.)

I don't care about the diction in the log entry; I'd already figured out that "set" was a synonym for "changed" in some cases. However, I *would* prefer that this get logged in the member's activity log as well as the group activity log. Isn't this possible?

J,

On Fri, Mar 22, 2019 at 2:30 PM J_Catlady <j.olivia.catlady@...> wrote:

Thanks for the clarification. The problem, and/or misunderstanding, I'm having, is that I or someone, had previously requested, and you agreed, that the display name would be harvested from email only if the member didn't already have one set. I understood that to mean "if the group display name is not already set." But now you're saying that even if the member already has a display name set in the group, that will be overridden if they change it in their user record.

Ok, I figured things out. My intention was for things to behave as you expected them to. But there was a bug in the system that would cause the subscription display name to be overwritten if: 1) the user sends a message to another group they are subscribed to and, 2) that group's moderator had not set their display name (and 3) the user themselves hadn't set a display name). So, yeah, that should be fixed now.

I don't care about the diction in the log entry; I'd already figured out that "set" was a synonym for "changed" in some cases. However, I *would* prefer that this get logged in the member's activity log as well as the group activity log. Isn't this possible?

There's only one activity log. If it appears in the group log, it'll appear in the member's log. If there's an instance of that not happening, something else is up; please send a link to support and I'll bug hunt.

Chris Jones

On Fri, Mar 22, 2019 at 10:16 PM, Mark Fletcher wrote:
Ok, I figured things out. <snip>  So, yeah, that should be fixed now.
And thanks from me! I have seen this weirdness on the group I moderate and it has puzzled me several times, although it never was an actual "issue". (On second thoughts it might have been once or twice, but one external Groups.io as we use the Display Name as an "indentifier" for access to a separately hosted Archive.)

So thanks for applying a fix and clarifying why it was necessary.

Chris

On Fri, Mar 22, 2019 at 03:16 PM, Mark Fletcher wrote:
there was a bug in the system that would cause the subscription display name to be overwritten if: 1) the user sends a message to another group they are subscribed to and, 2) that group's moderator had not set their display name (and 3) the user themselves hadn't set a display name). So, yeah, that should be fixed now.
Thanks, that was my guess. Glad you've been able to fix it!

If it appears in the group log, it'll appear in the member's log. If there's an instance of that not happening, something else is up; please send a link to support and I'll bug hunt.
Yes, this particular case is logged in the group activity log but not the member's activity log for the other groups. I'll try to find the particular occurrence that caused me to start this thread and send it to support. If I can no longer find it, I can say that I'm pretty sure that the circumstances causing the bug above (subscription display name gets overwritten if the name changes in a different group) is logged in each group's activity log but not the member's activity log for groups in which they didn't change their name.

On Fri, Mar 22, 2019 at 03:16 PM, Mark Fletcher wrote:
There's only one activity log. If it appears in the group log, it'll appear in the member's log.
p.s. Mark, to clarify, I meant was that it is not logged in the individual member's Activity History. It is probably correctly logged in the group's Member Activity log, since (as you say) that's just a subset of the group's "All Activity" log. The weirdness is to see the out-of-the-blue new display name, together with no entry about it in the members' activity page (AND you do see it in the group's activity log).

Anyway, I'll take this part offlist to support. Thanks.

On Fri, Mar 22, 2019 at 4:17 PM J_Catlady via Groups.Io <j.olivia.catlady=gmail.com@groups.io> wrote:
On Fri, Mar 22, 2019 at 03:16 PM, Mark Fletcher wrote:
There's only one activity log. If it appears in the group log, it'll appear in the member's log.
p.s. Mark, to clarify, I meant was that it is not logged in the individual member's Activity History. It is probably correctly logged in the group's Member Activity log, since (as you say) that's just a subset of the group's "All Activity" log. The weirdness is to see the out-of-the-blue new display name, together with no entry about it in the members' activity page (AND you do see it in the group's activity log).

Mark, just letting you (and anyone else who may be wondering about this) know that I can no longer find the example of nor reproduce this logging issue. I think the logging is fine and will not be emailing you at support. Thanks.

Samuel Murrayy

The current wording makes it appear as if this was something that the user had initiated and performed, and it would be nice if the wording made it clearer that this was something that was done by the system and not by the user.