Topics

moderated Limit for number of invites that can be sent out without approval, enhacement request

YT9TP - Pedja

I tried to send invitations to group I administer and got into problem.

"You have reached the limit for number of invites that can be sent out without approval. Once your new invites have been approved, they will be sent out. You will receive a notification when this happens."

I lurked around and found out that is the feature to prevent spammers to quickly create large spam lists. I also found out there is limitation of 20 invites per 24 hours.

That is strange, I did this invitation sending several times before, with list of few hundreds of mails and had no issue like this.

I have no problem with the limitation. I understand it's need and accept it as necessity.

That said, here is my problem. I do try to upload invitations using list of several hundred of emails but most of them are already on the list. I would like if it i is possible, to change site behavior to apply limitation after it filters out emails that are already on the list.

My problem is that we have membership application and all I can get from it is list of all email addresses of all members. I cannot distinguish which emails are already members of group on groups.io and which are not. I relay on groups.io feature that it checks emails and disregards emails that are already members of the group and sends invitations only for new ones.

That means each time I have to send invitations I have to use complete list even if there are only few new members to add (and usually it is just a few). I guess it is clear that this limitation makes my life as group admin miserable. Simple change to first disregard emails that are already on the list and force limitation only for emails that actually have to be used for invitations would save me as i guess that way I would never hit limitation..

On Wed, Mar 13, 2019 at 08:53 AM, YT9TP - Pedja wrote:
I did this invitation sending several times before, with list of few hundreds of mails and had no issue like this.
I'm guessing, but perhaps that time, the filter only produced 20 or less email addresses that were not already group members.

I cannot distinguish which emails are already members of group on groups.io and which are not.
That seems to be your real problem. If you send out 100 invitation requests, then even if the feature enhancement you want is implemented (and it may already be there, from your comment above), if more than 20 of them are not members, you still run into the same constraint. I don't know if groups.io can help you with this.

YT9TP - Pedja

I'm guessing, but perhaps that time, the filter only produced 20 or less email addresses that were not already group members.
I found later in the evening that my invitations all passed through. I guess someone reviewed and decided it is ok to let hem go.

Also, I noticed that indeed it was more than 20 new emails. It might be that groups.io already works as I suggested but it does not display proper info so it is confusing for the admin.

If you send out 100 invitation requests, then even if the feature enhancement you want is implemented (and it may already be there,
from your comment above), if more than 20 of them are not members, you still run into the same constraint. I don't know if groups.io can help you with this.
That would not be the problem as that would be significantly smaller number of emails and I could handle them manually, especially, because I would see which email are new - groups.io, while processing invitations, displays statuses so it is clear which emails are skipped as already on the list.

Andy Wedge

On Thu, Mar 14, 2019 at 09:24 AM, YT9TP - Pedja wrote:
I found later in the evening that my invitations all passed through. I guess someone reviewed and decided it is ok to let hem go.
Yes, the process is designed to stop abuse of the process.

See https://groups.io/g/GroupManagersForum/message/14981?

Andy

YT9TP - Pedja

I already stated that I know background and explained issue I have.
Thanks for point me out to something I already know.

On Thu, Mar 14, 2019 at 02:24 AM, YT9TP - Pedja wrote:
If you send out 100 invitation requests, then even if the feature enhancement you want is implemented (and it may already be there,
from your comment above), if more than 20 of them are not members, you still run into the same constraint. I don't know if groups.io can help you with this.
That would not be the problem as that would be significantly smaller number of emails and I could handle them manually,
Maybe, but what I was trying to point out was that your underlying problem is that of not *knowing* who's a member and who's not. That's what you yourself stated. So how would you *know*, in the above example, that it would be a "significantly smaller number of emails", whether the number is 100 or 1,000? Call is "x." No matter what the number, the problem is the same. You have no idea how many within that quantity are already members.