Topics

moderated suspend/reinstate user rather than ban/unban/resubscribe

L. J.

From the group managers forum:

"I administer group for organization. It is for member only. It often happens that someone looses member status and we want to stop that persons group membership. But, we do not want to remove user form the group or ban him.

We just want some kind of temporary disabling his group membership as usually organization membership is regained and user has to be activated in the group again.

Is something like this possible or I have to file feature request?"

This has been asked by several forum owners/moderators. Any possibility that this may be a coming modification?

Thanks!

On Tue, Mar 12, 2019 at 06:06 PM, L. J. wrote:
We just want some kind of temporary disabling his group membership
Is your goal to prevent the member from having access to all group content, or just to prevent them from posting messages? If the latter, you can set their posting status to NP (can't post).

L. J.

Thanks for your reply.  The NP was suggested in the managers forum.  I tried that but it did not accomplish what I was trying to do.  We would like to prevent all access to group content until they would send in their annual renewal to our organization.  This can be accomplished by banning them but when you unban the member, they are removed from the group and have to be invited or they have to ask to subscribe again.  If the ban function would have an option to permanently or temporary ban the member.  With a temporary ban, it would seem that unbanning them could allow them to automatically go back to the active members list.  Permanent ban would function as it does now with removing them from the group.

If you upgrade to premium, you can reinstate them (“Direcf Add”) without issuing an invitation.

On Mar 13, 2019, at 9:59 AM, L. J. <l.j.hanke@...> wrote:

Thanks for your reply.  The NP was suggested in the managers forum.  I tried that but it did not accomplish what I was trying to do.  We would like to prevent all access to group content until they would send in their annual renewal to our organization.  This can be accomplished by banning them but when you unban the member, they are removed from the group and have to be invited or they have to ask to subscribe again.  If the ban function would have an option to permanently or temporary ban the member.  With a temporary ban, it would seem that unbanning them could allow them to automatically go back to the active members list.  Permanent ban would function as it does now with removing them from the group.

If a temporary ban/suspension feature is added, I would also like to suggest a way to temporarily suspend a member for a defined period of time, after which the suspension will automatically be lifted. For example, if someone is getting out of hand, and you know they just need a little cooling off time but would otherwise be a valued member of the group, you could suspend the member for, say, two days. If the member tries to access the group via the web in that time, it would show that the member is suspended, until a given date/time. Access via email would bounce with the same message. Two days later, the member could once again access the group as normal, without further action by a moderator/owner.

JohnF

Seems like groundhog day.
https://beta.groups.io/g/main/topic/25140223?

YT9TP - Pedja

I second this. I also made similar suggestion some time ago.

Suspension is needed option. We also have an organization and members may follow read-only group. If someone does not extend membership we prefer to suspend him form group until he reinstates as member.

We do not want o ban him fro obvious reasons (ban is punishment for vicious acts which is not a case), we cannot just disable his posting because list is read only, members do not post, and we cannot delete him form the list because we use notes for additional info about member and deleting them would cause lost of such info.

I also second suggestion for optional temporary suspensions/bans. that would obviously be useful.

Jim Higgins

Received from JohnF via Groups.Io at 3/14/2019 12:30 AM UTC:

If a temporary ban/suspension feature is added, I would also like to suggest a way to temporarily suspend a member for a defined period of time, after which the suspension will automatically be lifted.

Yes! "Suspend Member" with an option for an automatic unsuspension could be a really useful feature.

Jim H

This conversation is paralleling the conversation I just posted a link to a couple of messages back, including the discussion of automatic vs manual reinstatement, etc.

Jim Higgins

Received from J_Catlady at 3/14/2019 07:15 PM UTC:

This conversation is paralleling the conversation I just posted a link to a couple of messages back, including the discussion of automatic vs manual reinstatement, etc.

That conversation was 5 messages back in August 2018. Today is March 14, 2019.

So your point is...?

Jim H

My point is that people might want to have a look to see what’s been said about this before. What is YOUR point? 🙁

On Mar 14, 2019, at 12:45 PM, Jim Higgins <HigginsJ@...> wrote:

Received from J_Catlady at 3/14/2019 07:15 PM UTC:

This conversation is paralleling the conversation I just posted a link to a couple of messages back, including the discussion of automatic vs manual reinstatement, etc.

That conversation was 5 messages back in August 2018. Today is March 14, 2019.

So your point is...?

Jim H

Jim Higgins

My point is that "Seems like groundhog day" sounds (at least to me) nothing like, "People might want to have a look to see what's been said about this before."

Jim H

Received from J_Catlady at 3/14/2019 07:49 PM UTC:

My point is that people might want to have a look to see what's been said about this before. What is YOUR point?

On Mar 14, 2019, at 12:45 PM, Jim Higgins <HigginsJ@...> wrote:

Received from J_Catlady at 3/14/2019 07:15 PM UTC:

This conversation is paralleling the conversation I just posted a link
to a couple of messages back, including the discussion of automatic vs manual reinstatement, etc.

That conversation was 5 messages back in August 2018. Today is March 14,
2019.

So your point is...?

Jim H

Andy Wedge

On Thu, Mar 14, 2019 at 07:56 PM, Jim Higgins wrote:
My point is that "Seems like groundhog day"
That comment also had a link to a previous discussion which was the point of making it I guess.

Andy

Hahahahaha! 🤪

On Mar 14, 2019, at 12:57 PM, Jim Higgins <HigginsJ@...> wrote:

My point is that "Seems like groundhog day" sounds (at least to me) nothing like, "People might want to have a look to see what's been said about this before."

Jim H

Received from J_Catlady at 3/14/2019 07:49 PM UTC:

My point is that people might want to have a look to see what's been said about this before. What is YOUR point?

On Mar 14, 2019, at 12:45 PM, Jim Higgins <HigginsJ@...> wrote:

Received from J_Catlady at 3/14/2019 07:15 PM UTC:

This conversation is paralleling the conversation I just posted a link to a couple of messages back, including the discussion of automatic vs manual reinstatement, etc.

That conversation was 5 messages back in August 2018. Today is March 14, 2019.

So your point is...?

Jim H

Yes, Andy, that was the point!

On Mar 14, 2019, at 1:03 PM, Andy W <andy_wedge@...> wrote:

On Thu, Mar 14, 2019 at 07:56 PM, Jim Higgins wrote:
My point is that "Seems like groundhog day"
That comment also had a link to a previous discussion which was the point of making it I guess.

Andy

Jim, Oh, I misread that and thought you were self-referential by doing a ground-hog day thing too. 😜