Topics

moderated Allow Members to Be Able to Set Photos Sort Options #suggestion

Patty Sliney

I am again hoping that I can suggest that we add the ability for users to be able to set their Photos sort options, both albums and within albums.  Yahoo Groups has this feature, and all my my groups use it.  For my groups, which are sewing/embroidery/quilting based, we use the photos sections pretty heavily, to post up our projects.  So, discussion ensues on the list about the projects.  List members want to go see the newly posted photos, but trying to find the albums and the photos is very difficult.  Many of my list members are not particularly computer-savvy, and they just don't "see" the sort button, or really know how to use it. So, list mods are constantly having to explain how to re-sort the photo albums by "Sort By Created" down arrow, then sort the album photos by "Sort By Posted" down arrow.  If list members could either set their sort preferences, OR, if they set the sort once, it is "remembered" until they re-sort, that would be extremely helpful.  The default album "Sort by Title" is not helpful, as we use a monthly photo album system due to the number of our list members (way too many list members to allow individual photo albums), and the album default sort, "Sort By Name" is useless for us, since literally none of my list members re-name their photos.  Hoping to get this request bumped up the added features list?  I know others have also wished for this to be added in.

Patty S.

Dotty Bell

On Fri, Mar 8, 2019 at 08:07 AM, Patty Sliney wrote:
I am again hoping that I can suggest that we add the ability for users to be able to set their Photos sort options, both albums and within albums.   If list members could either set their sort preferences, OR, if they set the sort once, it is "remembered" until they re-sort, that would be extremely helpful.  The default album "Sort by Title" is not helpful, as we use a monthly photo album system ...  Hoping to get this request bumped up the added features list?  I know others have also wished for this to be added in.

I am in agreement with Patty in the request for the option to change the default photo sort option for photos at both the album level and individual photo level.  Our group also uses "monthly" albums, and the "Sort by Title" default does not work well for us.  I am currently adding leading zeros when naming the albums to force the 2019 albums to appear first. (ie. 00-2019 January, etc, to appear before all of the 0-2018 albums.)  Each year I will have to add more leading zeros to force the current year to the front, until I have the option to set the default to most recent first.
Many of my members are not very "computer comfortable", so each time I add photos, I include in my "New Photos Posted" message both a link to the proper album, and instructions for changing the sort order of photos within the album to show the most recent first.  It would be very helpful if they had the option to set their own default sort order, so that they could set it once (with help if necessary), instead of having to modify the sort each time they viewed the photos to show the most recent first.
Ideally, I would love to have the option of Folders within Folders, so I could create yearly folders, which would contain monthly folders, which would contain photos ordered by most recent date.  My group transferred about 10 years of photos, but I have only renamed the 2018 & 2019 albums in the hopes that Mark will eventually have time to work on the Photo features on his ToDo list.

Dotty Bell

Patty Sliney

Great suggestions, Dotty.  I guess I envision Groups.io to be better than Yahoo Groups, so it would be really wonderful to have the ability to set your Photos sort defaults both at the album level and within an album, at the photo level.  Livel the ldea also of being able to group all of a year's monthly photo albums into a yearly album, sort of "archiving" older photos.  Mark, I sure hope this is on the list of updates.  For groups who rely heavily on photos, this would be fantastic.

Andy Wedge

On Sat, Mar 9, 2019 at 05:40 AM, Dotty Bell wrote:
I am currently adding leading zeros when naming the albums to force the 2019 albums to appear first.
If you used a yyyy-mm prefix in your names then they would all be the same format and you could sort them.

Andy

Dotty Bell

On Sun, Mar 10, 2019 at 04:38 AM, Andy W wrote:
On Sat, Mar 9, 2019 at 05:40 AM, Dotty Bell wrote:
I am currently adding leading zeros when naming the albums to force the 2019 albums to appear first.
If you used a yyyy-mm prefix in your names then they would all be the same format and you could sort them.

Andy
Thanks for the suggestion, Andy, but I think you are missing my point. :)  It is not the inability to sort my albums, but the necessity to do so.   Naming albums with your suggested yyyy-mm format is not currently helpful as long as the default sort is by Title (up arrow).  The yyyy-mm format would put my earliest albums (2011) at the beginning of Photo page 1, and my most recent (2019) would be the last albums on page 11.  I would have to select to "re-sort" by Title (down arrow), or Created (down arrow) to put the 2019 albums first.  And I would have to repeat that "re-sort" each time I opened and closed an album.  And I will have to continue to advise my members that the "sort" option is available whenever I post new photos.  That is my objection to the current "pre-selected" default sort order, and the fact that a change of the sort order is not "sticky" when selected by the user.

My goal is the ability for each owner and subscriber to choose the default sort for albums (and photos within albums) in the order most appropriate for each individual group's use (or each subscriber's use).   In my case, I would likely set my default to sort by date Created (down arrow) so that my most recent albums and photos would appear at the beginning of the albums. (And I would choose a similar default at the Photo level within each album.)  Ideally, for me, I would like the ability to set the default sort at the group level.  This would prevent me from having to assist my "less computer comfortable" members in setting their own default sort at their subscriber level.  But I remember when I previously suggested that option, Shal and perhaps others had objections to giving that control to the group owner.  So I will not push for that owner ability, and will happily assist my members in setting their sort option to a preferred default as needed, if and when we are given the default sort control at subscriber level.

Dotty Bell

Dennis - WU6X <wu6x@...>

Some of us need to be able to set the "default" album sort by Created, Most Recent. The problem is that when an album is created for members to put pictures in, it is not visible unless the entire Photos section is re-sorted by "Created" down-arrow ... this is not intuitive and difficult to remember for some members to remember.
Can the default be changed, or can manager's have the ability to change the default ... please?

Dennis - WU6X <wu6x@...>

A workaround, yes, but it would be more convenient to be able to change the default sort so all members wouldn't have to remember to create a folder in that manner. Thanks for the tip, however.

Duane

On Mon, Mar 11, 2019 at 08:13 PM, Dotty Bell wrote:
Ideally, for me, I would like the ability to set the default sort at the group level.  This would prevent me from having to assist my "less computer comfortable" members in setting their own default sort at their subscriber level.  But I remember when I previously suggested that option, Shal and perhaps others had objections to giving that control to the group owner.
I think there could be group default settings that could be changed by the members, similar to Max Attachment Size for subscriptions.  Possibly add a 'lock' capability to prevent changes on groups where members may not be as computer savvy?

Duane

Patty Sliney

Again, asking pretty please with sugar on top for this small add to the Photos section:  Can the user set their Photo Sort option, or can the List Mod/Owner set the list's photo sort option?  Yahoo Groups had this, and it was extremely useful for groups that heavily use the Photos section.

Patty Sliney

Duane, it could be set by default at the List Mod/Owner level, or, as Yahoo Groups had, set at the User level.  Ideally, for my group population, who seems to be similar to Dotty's list member make up, many of my list members are not very computer savvy.  So, to have this Photo Sort option be able to be set by the List Mods/Owners would be more advantageous.

Hi All,

I've changed the default sort for both the album view as well as within each album to be most recent first. This is how Flickr does it, and I think that's what everyone's asking for?

Hope this helps.

On Fri, Mar 22, 2019 at 02:46 PM, Mark Fletcher wrote:
I've changed the default sort for both the album view as well as within each album to be most recent first.
Yes, this should cover most (all?) situations that have been mentioned.  Ideally, I'd like to see any page that has a sort option to remember the last one used for each member, but won't be upset if it takes awhile. ;>)  I know there are lots of changes and improvements in the pipeline and enjoy each one as it comes along.

Janice

My groups would prefer sorting by title ^.  The first three albums in our group are temporary holding albums.  We are quilters.  The first album is Show and Tell, the second album is I Need Help, and the third album is This Might Help.  I have numbered these albums so they always display first (001, 002, 003).  I just received a panic email because those albums do not automatically appear first.  I received another message from someone who wanted to add a picture to the Show and Tell album but couldn't find it so they sent the picture to me and asked me to add it to the album.  I remove pictures from these three albums after 7 days to preserve storage space.  My members know that they need to download and save pictures from these albums within the seven day limit.

Janice B
New Statler Siblings Group

Janice

My members are very, very unhappy at this new sort.  We are hoping you will make an option under Settings so that each group can have its own sorting default.

Janice B
New Statler Siblings

Patty Sliney

OMG, thank you!!!!  A million thank yous from this list owner of two very large lists whose list members are not the most computer savvy.  Yes, Photo Albums to sort by Created - Most Recent, and within a photo album, Posted - Most Recent.  Nearly every other photo sharing site or group sorts in this manner.  My list mods are going to jump for joy, lol!!

Annick Phillips

Like Janice, I had set up a protocol for my group albums such that they would sort in a certain way by title, using the number 1 before the name of the first group (and those albums starting with 1 then sorted alphabetically), 2 before the next group, etc.  Having an automatic sort by "most recent" now would totally screw up the effort that was made to make the albums show up in a certain order.  I, too, would much prefer to allow each group to choose their default sort for albums and photos, or even better to allow each member's sort selection to be a "sticky" selection. Just my 2 cents for what it's worth.  Annick

Hi All,

I've just pushed a change that will remember a user's sort field/order when viewing the Photos section. I will add remembering sort field/order when viewing an album next week, because it's late right now.

Chris Jones

On Fri, Mar 22, 2019 at 07:46 PM, Mark Fletcher wrote:
I've changed the default sort for both the album view as well as within each album to be most recent first. This is how Flickr does it, and I think that's what everyone's asking for?
If the last sentence is true then IMHO it reinforces the old agage of "be careful what you ask for". I have spent a lot of time with "historical" photos within albums to put photos in a sensible order by renaming photos as 01:, 02:, etc up to nn when nn ≤ 99. The new convention has played havoc with that and the photos now appear in a more or less random order. Now I accept that as an individual I can set them back using Sort by Title^ but I would much prefer to be able to set a Group default for both Albums and Photos back to the way things were.

At the moment, from my group's viewpoint, this change has not been an improvement. .

Chris

Annick Phillips

Thanks so much, Mark! That seems to be a solution that could please everyone. It will be helpful to my groups to see the newest photo in each album first, but we liked the albums themselves sorted by title, so now we can have both just by choosing "sort by title" for our albums and they will stay that way. It is so refreshing to have the management of IO Groups actually responding to the needs and wants of the group owners, unlike Yahoo. You have reaffirmed that our decision to move our groups here was the right one. Annick

Duane

On Fri, Mar 22, 2019 at 10:23 PM, Mark Fletcher wrote:
I've just pushed a change that will remember a user's sort field/order when viewing the Photos section.
Now that this has been added, I'd like to see the default changed back to Sort By Title.  This would allow those groups that had undertaken the extra work to get things sorted the way they wanted, based on title, to continue to use their method.