Topics

moderated remove "compare revisions" button when there's only one version of message #suggestion

Not a big deal, but I just noticed that the "Compare Revisions" button under the revision history of a message (reached by clicking on the blue "Edit" button) doesn't go away even if all revisions have been removed except one.
--
J

Messages are the sole opinion of the author, especially the fishy ones.
My humanity is bound up in yours, for we can only be human together. - Desmond Tutu

Gerald Boutin <groupsio@...>

On Mon, Mar 4, 2019 at 07:26 PM, J_Catlady wrote:
Not a big deal, but I just noticed that the "Compare Revisions" button under the revision history of a message (reached by clicking on the blue "Edit" button) doesn't go away even if all revisions have been removed except one.
I'm not sure how you managed to delete a revision, but "Compare Revisions" for me is useful when there is one revision. I like seeing what was changed from the original.

--
Gerald

Yes, useful when there more than one version. But I frequently delete the original when I edit. Click on ‘more’ then ‘delete this edit.’ I think the compare button would be better grayed-our or gone when there only one version left.

On Mar 4, 2019, at 6:03 PM, Gerald Boutin <groupsio@...> wrote:

I'm not sure how you managed to delete a revision, but "Compare Revisions" for me is useful when there is one revision. I like seeing what was changed from the original.

--
Gerald

--
J

My humanity is bound up in yours, for we can only be human together. - Desmond Tutu

because the button doesn’t do anything. Like I said, not a huge deal but you can actually click on the butto now when there only one existing revision (= version) and for a moment I wondered whether it would let you compare with deleted versions, which would be bad. I was reassured to find out that it was just a no-op. So better to remove confusion and do away with it.

On Mar 4, 2019, at 6:07 PM, J_Catlady via Groups.Io <j.olivia.catlady@...> wrote:

Yes, useful when there more than one version. But I frequently delete the original when I edit. Click on ‘more’ then ‘delete this edit.’ I think the compare button would be better grayed-our or gone when there only one version left.

On Mar 4, 2019, at 6:03 PM, Gerald Boutin <groupsio@...> wrote:

--
Gerald

--
J

--
J

Gerald Boutin <groupsio@...>

Now that I follow what you did, I see what you mean. I never realized this functionality existed. I also find it unintuitive and rather convoluted.

If you don't want the original left around, I'd rather have that done up front when the edit is being done.

--
Gerald

It's useful because sometimes you don't want the original gone. In fact, it was a big fight to get this functionality implemented (deletion of edits). Sometimes inappropriate info is posted and you want to permanently redact it. Other times you just want to fix a typo. Big difference.

Anyway, my main point is the compare button. I'm done. :-)

On Mon, Mar 4, 2019 at 6:26 PM Gerald Boutin <groupsio@...> wrote:
Now that I follow what you did, I see what you mean. I never realized this functionality existed. I also find it unintuitive and rather convoluted.

If you don't want the original left around, I'd rather have that done up front when the edit is being done.

--
Gerald

--
J

On Mon, Mar 4, 2019 at 06:26 PM, Gerald Boutin wrote:
Oh, I see what you're saying (was rushing before). You mean that in the case where you want the original gone, it would be easier to specify that at the start of the edit. I agree but might be a bit convoluted to implement.

--
J

On Mon, Mar 4, 2019 at 3:26 PM J_Catlady <j.olivia.catlady@...> wrote:

I've changed it so that it's disabled now if there's only one revision. This matches the behavior when viewing wiki revisions.

Why have the button at all? I used to not display buttons if that functionality wasn't available (like if you didn't have permission to upload a file to the files area, I wouldn't even show the Upload button). But it seems that was confusing for people (where's the Upload button? would be a question I got a lot of). I think that showing the buttons, but disabled, is a better indicator that you can't do something. Happy to be proven wrong, of course.

Thanks,
Mark

Mark, 

Great. I totally agree that graying out is the best way

On Mar 5, 2019, at 12:39 PM, Mark Fletcher <markf@corp.groups.io> wrote:

I've changed it so that it's disabled now if there's only one revision. This matches the behavior when viewing wiki revisions.

Why have the button at all? I used to not display buttons if that functionality wasn't available (like if you didn't have permission to upload a file to the files area, I wouldn't even show the Upload button). But it seems that was confusing for people (where's the Upload button? would be a question I got a lot of). I think that showing the buttons, but disabled, is a better indicator that you can't do something. Happy to be proven wrong, of course.

Thanks,
Mark

--
J

I meant disabling it is best. I assume that means you grayed it out. As long as it’s disabled, no matter how. 😊

On Mar 5, 2019, at 12:45 PM, J_Catlady via Groups.Io <j.olivia.catlady@...> wrote:

Mark, 

Great. I totally agree that graying out is the best way

On Mar 5, 2019, at 12:39 PM, Mark Fletcher <markf@corp.groups.io> wrote:

Thanks,
Mark

--
J

--
J

Mark,

I think that showing the buttons, but disabled, is a better indicator
that you can't do something.
For cases like this, where the inability is circumstantial, I concur with J that disabled (and desaturated, or "greyed out") is preferable. Especially in a case like this where the reason it is disabled is manifest on the page: you can see that there's nothing to compare with.

(I wonder if that's a good design rule: ensure that the reason why a control is disabled is visible. Either implicitly, as with the Compare button, or explicitly when needed.)

The opposite case are things like the Admin pages not being present at all for a Member (as opposed to mod or owner). The change of Role is a major change in the semantics of the site, and for most users something that never happens. Leaving something completely out of their control visible but disabled would be pointless and would generate needless questions.

In between are things controlled by moderator permissions. I think these are more like member/mod distinctions (except possibly for mods with the permission to Set Moderator Permissions). If those are currently hidden (I haven't checked) I'd probably leave them that way.

Shal