Topics

moderated Help to locate Members in the Directory and to enable easy Photo album 'owner' editing

Peter Rawbone

Good morning,

May I make the following suggestions / requests:

  1. In the Directory section, it would be really good to have a search box to locate a Member, &
  2. A similar search box to be able to find the owner when editing the albums' ownership.  This would be very useful after importing photos from Yahoo (or, perhaps, elsewhere) and to ascribing an image to the correct member - as opposed to the person updating the files.

Kind regards

Peter

Chris Jones

On Mon, Mar 4, 2019 at 03:30 PM, Peter Rawbone wrote:
A similar search box to be able to find the owner when editing the albums' ownership.
When a moderator selects an Album, and then selects +Edit Album the name of the owner appears at the top of the page, and is easily editable. (In fact the album's owner is visible on the thumbnail of the album) A similar edit of an individual photo's owner is also available once it is "opened" and Edit again selected.

Reassigning ownership can be tedious; as long as you know the "new" owner's Display Name then pressing the initial letter of that D/N will scroll through the membership list displaying those D/Ns starting with that letter is what appears to be a random order. You have to be watchful!!

Imports from Yahoo maintain the original ownerships unless the originator has left the group, in which case the album/photo is reassigned to the moderator who initiated the transfer from Yahoo.

Chris

PS; bad form to like your own post!

Peter Rawbone

Thank you for your reply.

However, its not Editing the Album per se, its editing the ownership of the individual images within an album where a Search Box would be beneficial.

Regards

Peter

PS.  Hadn't realised I had liked my post.  Now unliked it. Thank you for pointing it out.

Chris Jones

On Mon, Mar 4, 2019 at 05:11 PM, Peter Rawbone wrote:
its editing the ownership of the individual images within an album where a Search Box would be beneficial.
Perhaps I've missed something but what do you want to do that you cannot do with the editing facilities that exist at the moment?

Chris

Peter Rawbone

Chris, I don't think so!  Probably me not accurately describing my problem!

Whilst I appreciate that I can edit the Album, our problem has been in finding and inserting the name of the photographer/image owner when a lot have been transferred from, in our case Yahoo.  A Search Box would help here as 'Ownership' of the individual images comprising the Album has been credited to me or whoever initiated the transfer and it is a bit of a pain, to say the least, to change the name to the correct person.

Also I noticed yesterday, that the latest member who joined our group seems, within minutes, to have automatically been credited to an existing album that when transferred from Yahoo was credited to me.  Bizarre!  Any ideas?

Regards

Peter

Gerald Boutin <groupsio@...>

On Thu, Mar 7, 2019 at 03:17 PM, Peter Rawbone wrote:
... our problem has been in finding and inserting the name of the photographer/image owner when a lot have been transferred from, in our case Yahoo.  A Search Box would help here as 'Ownership' of the individual images comprising the Album has been credited to me or whoever initiated the transfer and it is a bit of a pain, to say the least, to change the name to the correct person.

In the case of importing from Yahoo, the best I could do was to look at the images in Yahoo to find out who had originally uploaded them. Even then, it was of little help as in many cases, the original owner no longer existed even in Yahoo.

--
Gerald

Chris Jones

On Thu, Mar 7, 2019 at 08:09 PM, Gerald Boutin wrote:
Even then, it was of little help as in many cases, the original owner no longer existed even in Yahoo.
This is a "feature". If at the time of transfer from Yahoo a photo's originator is no longer a member of the Yahoo group then by definition they cannot become a member of the successor (Groups.io) group and the photo is automatically credited to the person who initiated the transfer. The original photo owner will not appear in any Groups.io picklist so there is no point in trying to restore their name; it is simply not there to be found.

Was the new member who suddenly found themselves credited with some photos ever a member of the previous Yahoo group? If so, I wonder if there is some sort of concealed record of previous ownership. I cannot think of any other mechanism to explain this.

Chris

Peter Rawbone

Hello Chris,

Thanks for your message.  As we closed the Y! Group, we can’t check so will have to accept the situation.  However, it seems that something is not quite right when the io system automatically assumes that the newest member is the owner of an ‘unclaimed‘ photo album.

Peter

Chris Jones

On Fri, Mar 8, 2019 at 05:11 PM, Peter Rawbone wrote:
However, it seems that something is not quite right when the io system automatically assumes that the newest member is the owner of an ‘unclaimed‘ photo album.
Bit of a sweeping assertion that; I've never seen it before and IIRC no - one else has reported it.

A long shot, but worth checking... make sure that your new(est) member hasn't been turned into a moderator with editing rights!

Chris

Bruce Bowman

On Fri, Mar 8, 2019 at 12:11 PM, Peter Rawbone wrote:
However, it seems that something is not quite right when the io system automatically assumes that the newest member is the owner of an ‘unclaimed‘ photo album.
Peter -- Here's something I've found, which some may consider to be a bug.

If someone owns an album and later leaves the group, that album is left without an owner. If you come along later and click on "Edit Album," groups.io automatically populates the owner field with the person who most recently joined the group (i.e.: the first subscriber in the drop-down pick-list).

You don't have to actually open the drop-down and select the name, it just appears there, as if by magic. That person is not the actual owner, but to the uninitiated may appear to be. And if you happen to click on the "Update" button at this point, the assignment is saved.

This strikes me as a plausible explanation for how your problem came about.

Hope this helps,
Bruce

P.S. Another tip:  To select someone's name in the pick list, repeatedly type the first character in that person's Display Name, and you will eventually find it. That may seem somewhat crude, but it's still easier than trying to do so by meticulously scrolling through a list of 1000 subscribers.

Chris Jones

On Fri, Mar 8, 2019 at 06:32 PM, Bruce Bowman wrote:
If someone owns an album and later leaves the group, that album is left without an owner.
Interesting... so the migration from Yahoo is (in this case) not relevant. I wonder if the behaviour when a "photo - owning member" counts as a bug.

Bruce; have you been able to determine what happens if an album - owning / album - creator member leaves?

Chris

Bruce Bowman

On Fri, Mar 8, 2019 at 06:08 PM, Chris Jones wrote:
Interesting... so the migration from Yahoo is (in this case) not relevant. I wonder if the behaviour when a "photo - owning member" counts as a bug.
Personally, I think the Owner pick-list on the "Edit Album" screen should:

1) be sorted alphabetically,
2) with a "[no member]" entry at the top.

This should help to obviate Peter's problem.

Bruce; have you been able to determine what happens if an album - owning / album - creator member leaves?
I've been talking about album editing throughout, as...if I understand correctly...this was the basis for Peter's inquiry. But in the same situation, with the original owner having left, "Edit Photo" seems to behave very similarly, and I would propose the same remedy.

Regards,
Bruce