moderated Advertising

CW Bill Rouse

Several vendors have suggested that they would advertise on our group, thus offsetting the annual costs.

Has this ever been considered by groups.io for Premium accounts?

Chris Jones

On Fri, Mar 1, 2019 at 01:03 PM, CW Bill Rouse wrote:
Has this ever been considered by groups.io for Premium accounts?
I will not even attempt to imagine what Mark's response might be - or that of any other beta subscriber - but what do your own members think of the idea?

My own view is that one of the joys of Groups.io is the freedom from advertising (and the tracking that accompanies it) and I would be less than happy to find advertising creeping in on any group of which I am a member.

Chris

On Fri, Mar 1, 2019 at 5:03 AM CW Bill Rouse <brouse@...> wrote:
Several vendors have suggested that they would advertise on our group, thus offsetting the annual costs.

Has this ever been considered by groups.io for Premium accounts?

You are welcome to run your own ads in your groups if you wish. I have no plans nor desire to ever deal with advertising again.

CW Bill Rouse

Our situation is an entirely different advertising model.

We are a group of 1,000+ yacht owners who constantly need to buy supplies, replacement parts, and services. We have successfully tested leveraging our group size to obtain vendor discounts from vendors we choose to buy from. Those chosen vendors would be interested in advertising in our group. In fact, it is a good way for those chosen vendors to get the news out about new products. And, yes the members would want to hear from those vendors.

But, anyway since this model is so foreign to what anyone has done, I will table the question.

Thanks for the comments.

It sounds like allowing the advertising might actually be a good idea for your particular group, since it would serve the group members' needs. I'm thinking you could also (or instead) include the vendor info in a wiki page.

Bruce Bowman

On Fri, Mar 1, 2019 at 05:34 PM, CW Bill Rouse wrote:
Our situation is an entirely different advertising model.
I see no reason why you couldn't subscribe some advertisers to your group and have them post desirable ads. I just don't want to see things showing up in the margins or at the top of search hits like Yahoo did with NEO, and am pleased for the confirmation that Mark doesn't want that, either.

Regards,
Bruce

Noel Leaver

We have a number of traders and small manufacturers as part of our group, and information about an item that might satisfy a users needs or a new item now available are very welcome.

We just ask that any such posting has #TRADE in the header so people are aware the poster has a financial interest.

Noel