Topics

moderated Apply to Join button on the main group screen

Beth Weld

I have a restricted group, and I do not want people to be able to apply to join the group from the main group page (the one you see if you aren't logged in).  I have tried everything I know to tell people not to use the "Apply" button, but apparently no one reads.  When we deny the pending request, it causes confusion and angst no matter what we tell them about how to join the organization and therefore the group (again, if people would read!).

Please - can we have an option to make that button disappear if the group is restricted? I'd rather just not even have it for a restricted group, but I'm sure that some other groups use it even for a restricted group.
Thanks
Beth Weld

Chris Jones

On Tue, Feb 26, 2019 at 10:21 PM, Beth Weld wrote:
Please - can we have an option to make that button disappear if the group is restricted?
Perhaps I am having a senior moment but if the Apply button is removed how are people going to, er, apply? And do we assume that you want the "apply by email" function removed as well?

Chris

Chris

Leeni

I think that you think that Restricted means by invite only and that is why you won't want the apply button there.

I think restricted just means subscriptions need approval or rejection from an owner or moderator. It means they aren't automatically added if they want to join the group. Their membership is pending upon approval.

If you don't want stray members to apply to your group don't have it listed in groups IO Directory. Also you should put on your home page - By Invite Only if that is how your group gets it's members.

Ilene

On Tue, Feb 26, 2019 at 11:01 PM, Leeni wrote:
I think that you think that Restricted means by invite only and that is why you won't want the apply button there.
Leeni: I had to read your message a couple of times to work out whether you were addressing me or Beth. I realised you were addressing Beth, and FWIW I was wondering exactly the same as you about her interpretation the meaning of "Restricted".

Chris

Leeni

Sorry, yes I was addressing Beth but your message about her not wanting the apply button prompted me to write what I wrote. Hopefully she will write back and let us know or understand what she means by her group being restricted. Leeni aka Ilene

On Tue, Feb 26, 2019 at 11:01 PM, Leeni wrote:
I think that you think that Restricted means by invite only and that is why you won't want the apply button there.
Leeni: I had to read your message a couple of times to work out whether you were addressing me or Beth. I realised you were addressing Beth, and FWIW I was wondering exactly the same as you about her interpretation the meaning of "Restricted".

Chris

Beth Weld

Thank you both. I have put messages on the home page - in large letters in RED, but it seems to do no good. My group is restricted in that people can't just join. I would like to further restrict it by not even having the apply button available.  I don't want to take the group out of the IO directory in case people see it there and are interested. But - we have a separate process (as others do too), and it has to be followed before we direct add them. Maybe a point that I didn't state - we are a premium group and don't use the invitation process so are restricted more than most.
Thanks
Beth

Samuel Murrayy

On 2019/02/26 11:21 PM, Beth Weld wrote:

I have a restricted group, and I do not want people to be able to apply to join the group from the main group page (the one you see if you aren't logged in).
In the mean time, you can set a "pending" notice at:
https://groups.io/g/zalang/membernotices
which will be sent to any members who apply to join.

It won't prevent all the rest (e.g. users will still get the message asking them to confirm their e-mail address, etc.).

I agree that there should be an option to remove the "Apply for membership" button, at least.

Samuel