Topics

moderated Site updates #changelog

Changes to the site this week:

  • BUGFIX: When a member sent a message via the group directory, they were offered the ability to use one of the group messages as a template. Now, we limit that to mods/owners only.
  • NEW: For premium groups, when viewing a pending message from a non-member, new 'Approve & Add Sender' button for owners/mods with appropriate privileges.
  • NEW: Mods/owners can now edit messages in topics that have been locked.
  • NEW: Subgroups have a new 'Allow Parent Subs To Post' settings checkbox.
  • BUGFIX: Search queries that contained a single double quote were failing because it was not properly escaped.
  • BUGFIX: Add organizer info to #cal-notice notifications.
  • CHANGE: Yahoo transfers now require a year of premium.
  • CHANGE: Reverted previous change to how notification messages are handled. Now, as originally, notification messages do not follow the group moderation setting.
  • CHANGE: Got Yahoo transfers working yet again.
  • CHANGE: For enterprise groups that have disabled signups, allow +subscribe email commands if the person already exists and is subscribed to the parent group.
  • INTERNAL: Fix issue preventing paging me when the smtp check process fails.
  • INTERNAL: Set Elasticsearch processes to automatically reboot when they crash.

Have a good weekend everyone.

Mark

Andy Wedge

Hi,

I've seen the chatter about allowing members of parent groups to post to subgroups but I'm not sure if this is working as it was maybe intended.

I have these settings for my subgroup:

If I post (via email) from a member of the parent group that is not a member of this subgroup then the message is moderated as it was before when only 'Allow Non Subscribers to Post' was set.

If I uncheck the 'Allow Non Subscribers to Post' option and post again, the message is rejected with:

groups.io gave this error:

If the 'Allow Non Subscribers to Post' option is required and messages are moderated, then 'Allow Parent Subscribers to Post' on its own seems to serve no purpose as it stands.

Regards,
Andy

David M

Changes to the site this week:
NEW: Subgroups have a new 'Allow Parent Subs To Post' settings checkbox.
Just wondering how this works. If a member of the parent group sends to a subgroup, and someone in the subgroup replies, does that reply go to the person who sent the message, or only to the members of the subgroup?

For example, say I have a parent group called Members and a subgroup called Committee. And say a member of Members@... (call him Fred) sends a message to Committee@... asking for permission to do something.

If a member of the committee replies yes or no using the default reply, presumably that reply will only go to the other members of Committee@... but not to Fred?

Cheers

David

On Sat, Feb 16, 2019 at 07:37 AM, David M wrote:
If a member of the committee replies yes or no using the default reply, presumably that reply will only go to the other members of Committee@... but not to Fred?
That seems to be correct and it was the problem I saw with the request for this feature (although it may serve the requestor's purposes). If you were to instead make the subgroup members into moderators of the main group, then they could carry on actual conversations with (rather than just receiving a single message from) group members via the owner address.

Andy Wedge

On Sat, Feb 16, 2019 at 03:44 PM, J_Catlady wrote:
That seems to be correct and it was the problem I saw with the request for this feature (although it may serve the requestor's purposes).
My point was that the message from a parent group member to a subgroup ends up being either rejected or moderated due to the setting of 'Allow Non Subscribers to Post'.  The option 'Allow Parent Subscribers to Post' doesn't seem to have any effect on it's own.  I am not sure of the purpose of the original request but I don't think it has been implemented or tested well anyway.

The issue (using this example) of someone on the Committee replying to the subgroup but not being able to include Fred applies only if you are posting online as there are no cc: or bcc: options as there would be when using an email client.
(rather than just receiving a single message from) group members via the owner address.
If you are creating a private reply then I think the default is to show it coming from the owner address (if you are the owner of course). There is a drop-down though to allow you to select your own address as the sender which I guess makes it a bit more personal.

Andy

Andy

Oh, ok. I wasn't looking at the interaction of the two settings, nor at web vs email replies. I was referring only to the fact that when it IS working as intended, it STILL does not allow the opportunity for anything more than the subgroup members receiving a single message from the non-subgroup member. Further conversation that includes Fred, or even a simple response to him from a subgroup member, is precluded because Fred is not in the subgroup. I thought that was your point but I guess I misunderstood.

On Mon, Feb 18, 2019 at 02:25 AM, Andy W wrote:
If you are creating a private reply then I think the default is to show it coming from the owner address
That would/could only happen if (a) the subgroup member is a moderator of the main group and (b) the subgroup member uses the Send Message feature from the member's page. Both of those comprised my original suggestion to take the place of this non-subgroup-post-to-parent-group feature in the first place.

I'm not sure what would happen with a private reply from the subgroup. I'm not sure it would go to Fred, who is a non-member of the subgroup. I'm guessing that the only way a subgroup member could reply to Fred is outside the subgroup, either using Send Message from Fred's member page as above (if the subgroup member has been made a moderator - which the original requestor, Dave B, did not want to do), or by a personal message outside the group. Not sure whether a private reply would even work in this case. Would be easy to test.

On Sat, Feb 16, 2019 at 2:20 AM Andy W <andy_wedge@...> wrote:

If I post (via email) from a member of the parent group that is not a member of this subgroup then the message is moderated as it was before when only 'Allow Non Subscribers to Post' was set.

I'm not able to reproduce this. Is your subgroup moderated? Or is the member that is attempting to post moderated in the parent group in some way (override: moderated, or NuM)? That would cause moderation.

Mark

Andy Wedge

Hi Mark,

I've just run another couple of tests and I'm seeing different behaviour now. The Allow Parent Subscribers to Post works regardless of the Allow Non Subscribers to Post setting which I think was the intention of the change.

Andy