Topics

moderated please allow moderators to edit messages in a locked topic

Mark,

I'm starting a new thread for this because IIRC the old one, or ones, got hopelessly sidetracked.

This is now a *desperate plea* to allow moderators to edit messages in a locked topic. Not to post in them, necessarily (although I would not object to that either). Just to be able to edit, say, even *one word* of *one message* in a locked topic without moderating the topic so that you can unlock it first so that you can edit the message and then unlocking it. This is a GIANT PITA and it happens at least once a week.

Thanks for considering relaxing the lock function to at least that minimal extent!

On Thu, Feb 14, 2019 at 07:11 AM, J_Catlady wrote:
and then unlocking it
should read "and then relocking it"

Brian Vogel <britechguy@...>

Seconded!  It only makes sense to allow moderators/owners to post to locked topics, too.

Brian, I’m with you (more than I can say) but let’s please not rehash the entire crazy thread from before! I am only asking for editing capability. I will only add here a statement of the obvious: the functionality (and permission) already exists but is currently a humongous PITA to get to, especially given the inconvenient navigation back and forth that’s required to do all the steps (moderate, unlock, edit, relock) when the thread is old.

 I’m not going to argue here for posting ability as well and then shield mg eyes from the deluge of ‘why would anybody want to post to a locked topic’ messages again, even though the same arguments in favor of allowing it apply. My request is limited to the simple scope of just editing. 😊

On Feb 14, 2019, at 8:43 AM, Brian Vogel <britechguy@...> wrote:

Seconded!  It only makes sense to allow moderators/owners to post to locked topics, too.

ps by ‘difficult navigation when the thread is old,’ I mean the cumbersome (time-consuming, frustrating) back-and-forth required when the thread is several pages down in the chrono list.

On Feb 14, 2019, at 8:50 AM, J_Catlady via Groups.Io <j.olivia.catlady@...> wrote:

[...]

J,

    What Mark may or may not choose to implement shouldn't change what one requests.

    I'm still requesting whether I get it or not.

 Also, and does history here bear this out, whether or not anyone agrees with a given request or not when it has no "side effects" isn't relevant, either.

None of the above should be considered as a criticism of you, as that's not the intent.

I get it! Just trying to ward off a deja vu situation. I’ll add that the posting ability and permission exists, too, just like editing, and is simply cumbersome now. So all I (we) are really requesting is some simple streamlining. No real change in functionality at all!

On Feb 14, 2019, at 9:10 AM, Brian Vogel <britechguy@...> wrote:

J,

    What Mark may or may not choose to implement shouldn't change what one requests.

    I'm still requesting whether I get it or not.

 Also, and does history here bear this out, whether or not anyone agrees with a given request or not when it has no "side effects" isn't relevant, either.

None of the above should be considered as a criticism of you, as that's not the intent.

ps ‘Simple’ streamlining but extremely value-adding.

On Thu, Feb 14, 2019 at 7:11 AM J_Catlady <j.olivia.catlady@...> wrote:
This is now a *desperate plea* to allow moderators to edit messages in a locked topic. Not to post in them, necessarily (although I would not object to that either). Just to be able to edit, say, even *one word* of *one message* in a locked topic without moderating the topic so that you can unlock it first so that you can edit the message and then unlocking it. This is a GIANT PITA and it happens at least once a week.

Owners/mods with the right perms can now edit messages in locked topics.

Cheers,
Mark

Yay! Thanks, Mark!

Brian Vogel <britechguy@...>

On Thu, Feb 14, 2019 at 01:36 PM, Mark Fletcher wrote:
Owners/mods with the right perms can now edit messages in locked topics.
Might you share what "the magic perms" are?   I definitely don't know though I'm not a group owner, but I feel certain that there are others who may not who are themselves group owners.

On Thu, Feb 14, 2019 at 01:59 PM, Brian Vogel wrote:
what "the magic perms" are
I'm assuming (although Mark will correct me if necessary) the perms are the same ones that were needed to edit a message in a locked topic before this change. That should be the ability to lock and unlock topics and edit messages, which I think are all encompassed by "edit archives."

On Thu, Feb 14, 2019 at 2:07 PM J_Catlady <j.olivia.catlady@...> wrote:

I'm assuming (although Mark will correct me if necessary) the perms are the same ones that were needed to edit a message in a locked topic before this change. That should be the ability to lock and unlock topics and edit messages, which I think are all encompassed by "edit archives."

That is correct.