moderated Embed image within text

Rex Chadwell

Is there a way to embed an image within text? If that's not clear:
   Blah, blah, blah, text
   .jpg
   Blah, blah, blah, text

Currently my .jpg ends up being an attachment at the bottom of the message.
Thanks,
Rex

Andy Wedge

Hi Rex,

yes,  just copy your image to clipboard and paste it in where needed, like so:

Regards,
Andy

KWKloeber

Rex

Are you creating the message w/ your email application or thru the io web interface?

Are you speaking of finding the pic being attached (rather than embedded) when you (and members) receive the mirrored email from the group? Or when the message is composed?

Linda Perry

I insert images all the time in the body of the text on the group site.  I click where I want my image to go and then click on the "insert icon" symbol and the picture shows up there.  My issue is that I cannot get the picture to center.  I click on the picture and hit the center symbol, the picture moves to the center, but then when it posts it is right justified in both the e-mail and the group message page.

Linda Perry

Chris Jones

On Thu, Feb 14, 2019 at 06:25 AM, Linda Perry wrote:
My issue is that I cannot get the picture to center.
Ah; I thought it was just me that experienced that when trying to put things together for GMF wiki pages! It is a bit of a pain; I have found a sort of solution but it tends to be a bit hit and miss until it eventually works; too hit and miss to try to describe here.

I would also pprecitate a proper solution.

Chris

Rex Chadwell

I've tried composing with email and web, pasting or dragging a .jpg between text. The received message, email or web, has the image at the bottom of the message as an attachment.
If others are making this happen.....?

Rex Chadwell

Linda,
You just solved my issue with the "insert" icon. Thank you!
So....I tried to center, which looked good for the send, but showed up on the left margin, probably what you've been getting.
Have you tried putting a few tabs characters in front of your images instead of using the center function? Just a thought, but I'm sure this is not what your looking for....
Thanks again!
Rex

KWKloeber

Rex
some email applications strip out images and attach them. We’ve also found instances where imbedded images get stripped (the dreaded X broken image icon shows up) and are gone forever. It seems that imbedded images and email, are about as reliable as the olden day’s of win 3.1 reliability talking to modems. A box of chocolates 🍫

Bob Bellizzi

Have you tried starting a new line of centered text and placing the image there?
Then continuing on with left justified text?
None of the above are me but are my cousins.
Dig the old Packard
--

Bob Bellizzi

Founder, Fuchs Friends ®

Rex Chadwell

Yes, that broken image icon has raised it's ugly head on me several times here. By using the insert icon function, I'm getting pretty much what I want.

Gerald Boutin <groupsio@...>

On Thu, Feb 14, 2019 at 11:05 AM, Rex Chadwell wrote:
Linda,
You just solved my issue with the "insert" icon. Thank you!
OK, I give up. I have two issues that I do not understand in this topic.

1. What is this "insert icon" that everyone is talking about? Is this the one labeled "Insert/edit link" or the one labeled "Add Pictures"? I am referring to the labels that come up when I hover my mouse over them.

2. Has anyone managed to cut and paste an image into a message using the online browser interface? It certainly doesn't work for me using Windows 10 and the Chrome browser.

--
Gerald

This is beginning to sound more like a discussion for GMF, no? Is there any request for a new feature in this thread?

Gerald Boutin <groupsio@...>

On Fri, Feb 15, 2019 at 11:24 AM, J_Catlady wrote:
This is beginning to sound more like a discussion for GMF, no? Is there any request for a new feature in this thread?
--
My understanding is that there is interest in being to "Embed Image within Text".

It doesn't work for me and I'd certainly like to have that functionality.

--
Gerald

Oh, ok.

On Fri, Feb 15, 2019 at 7:42 AM Gerald Boutin <groupsio@...> wrote:
On Fri, Feb 15, 2019 at 11:24 AM, J_Catlady wrote:
This is beginning to sound more like a discussion for GMF, no? Is there any request for a new feature in this thread?
--
My understanding is that there is interest in being to "Embed Image within Text".

It doesn't work for me and I'd certainly like to have that functionality.

--
Gerald

Andy Wedge

Hi Gerald,

You're correct. Pasting an image into the message editor does not appear work with Chrome under Windows 10.  It does however work with Firefox as you can see.

Perhaps you should report that to support and see what they say.

Andy

Bob Bellizzi

I truly believe this belongs in GMF and not here because
if you're talking about using the build in "Add Pictures" function on the edit tools line above the message you are composing on
your group at groups.io, that's exactly what I did in my message above at
https://beta.groups.io/g/main/message/19859

If you are discussing another method of "embedding" pictures within text, you lost me a long time ago.

--

Bob Bellizzi

Founder, Fuchs Friends ®

Gerald Boutin <groupsio@...>

On Fri, Feb 15, 2019 at 12:26 PM, Andy W wrote:

You're correct. Pasting an image into the message editor does not appear work with Chrome under Windows 10.  It does however work with Firefox as you can see.

Perhaps you should report that to support and see what they say.

Andy

 Andy,

Thanks for the info, although I am now more mixed up than ever. There is some sort of issue, but I am no longer sure what it is.

I am using Chrome and as you can see below, I was able to copy from your post and do a ctrl-v into my post. Since the image was obviously in my clipboard, I then pasted it (same image) into Irfanview and tried a copy and paste from Irfanview to this post and no go.

I've also tested these scenarios in MS Edge and get the same varied results. I also tried pasting the image into GMAIL on Chrome and it has no problem with either method.

My conclusion is that there is an issue with pasting images into the groupsio compose window and not a browser issue per se. This may have already been brought up before, but if I can't find anything, I will bring it up to support.

--
Gerald

Brian Vogel <britechguy@...>

On Fri, Feb 15, 2019 at 01:05 PM, Gerald Boutin wrote:
I then pasted it (same image) into Irfanview and tried a copy and paste from Irfanview to this post and no go.
And therein could lie the problem.   I have experience all sorts of oddities over a long period of time with the file managers of a number of image viewers.

I only use the copy/paste technique as you describe when I'm hunting for an image on my computer via File Explorer (or Windows Explorer on earlier versions of Windows).

Bob Bellizzi

The Insert Picture tool is right .......................above the x.......................X...
Since a tool is provided to do this exact function, why ever do you  wish to copy and paste?  The above uses the picture tool on the edit message bar directly above the message you are composing at your group within groups.io
I think that you could really mess up the code underlying your message by pasting an image from the clipboard and so it's most likely inhibited.

--

Bob Bellizzi

Founder, Fuchs Friends ®

LOL it's upside down. ;)