Topics

moderated Is there any hope on unmoderation?

Dave B.

We desperately need for a subgroup to be able to unmoderate addresses in the main group.  This doesn't seem to be unreasonable, but it does not seem to be possible at this time.  We can't have members of the main group joining the subgroup, but they do need to be able to write to the subgroup without moderation.  They cannot have privy to all of the subgroup traffic, just be able to send to it.

We are a condo HOA.  The unit owners constitute the main group and the Board is the subgroup.  When unit owners write to the Board, each message must be moderated.  This doesn't make sense.  We have a constant stream of messages requiring moderation, and it's driving us nuts.

Is there a reason this can't be done?  Is there hope that it will be changed?

We did try setting up a separate group account for the Board as well.  That doesn't help, because all messages from the unit owners to the Board still need moderation.

Thanks,
Dave Brown

What if you made all the subgroup members group moderators (with limited permissions, as appropriate)? Then main-group members could simply send messages to the group owner address, Those wouldn't be moderated. I might not completely understand the situation, but this seems like at least a workaround.

On Tue, Feb 12, 2019 at 08:28 PM, J_Catlady wrote:
What if you made all the subgroup members group moderators
this should read

What if you made all the subgroup members main-group moderators

Sharon Villines

On Feb 12, 2019, at 11:22 PM, Dave B. <@DaveB22> wrote:

We are a condo HOA. The unit owners constitute the main group and the Board is the subgroup. When unit owners write to the Board, each message must be moderated. This doesn't make sense. We have a constant stream of messages requiring moderation, and it's driving us nuts.
I have the same situation. What I’ve done is leave the groups set to anyone can post. The lists are private and not listed in the directory so the chance of anyone finding them is slight. If a spammer does find them, we’ll have to change. In the meantime it isn’t causing a problem.

Sharon
----
Sharon Villines
In Washington DC, Where all roads lead to Casablanca

Dave B.

Sharon, thanks for your thoughts.  I have always checked "Allow Non Subscribers to Post," but posts from non-members of the subgroup still require moderation, even if they are members of the main group.  Did I miss something?

Frances

Could members of the subgroup - the "Board" - monitor the main group?
Use the subgroup to discuss things?
Forward anything that the full subgroup - the "Board" - needs to know to the subgroup.
Or do the messages for the subgroup require privacy?

This may not work for you, but I wonder if you should look at how you are using your groups.

Frances

Bob Bellizzi

It would seem to me that only members and not "anybody" should be able to post to the main (homeowners') group
Why would you wish the world to be able to post to your homeowners' group?
If someone wished to contact your homeowner's group they could write to groupname+owner@...
which is listed on the home page of each group.

Board members should also be members of the main group but as Moderators &/or owners.
They wouldn't have to receive emails except possibly Special Notices, in fact, they would most likely
utilize those for announcements and could also control and use the calendar to notify homeowners'
of dates of major interest to the homeowners.

Board members only should be members of the subgroup.
You should allow all members of the main group post without moderation which would relieve the burden of moderation.
But, essentially the Board "owns" the homeowners' message board, controls it and is responsible for its maintenance
and proper running.
--

Bob Bellizzi

Founder, Fuchs Friends ®

On Wed, Feb 13, 2019 at 10:56 AM, Bob Bellizzi wrote:
essentially the Board "owns" the homeowners' message board,
I agree with this and that's why I, too, suggested simply making the board members owners or moderators of the main group. You'd have to bcc all moderators (aka board members) on any subsequent messages in the conversation beyond the first one, instead of having the whole conversation automatically go to the subgroup. But at least the whole board would automatically receive the first message sent by the homeowner, with no problem of moderation.

Dave B.

I appreciate everyone's thoughts here, but I'm not sure everyone understands what I've said or appreciates the challenge of our situation.  I never said that we needed people from outside the group to post to the group, we simply want unit owners -- members of the main group -- to be able to post to the Board subgroup without moderation.  Absolutely disallowing this seems to be an unreasonable restriction.  Seems like it should be a configuration option.  Of course, if there's a reasonable workaround (invisible to the Board) we would go that way, but so far the suggestions add burdens to the Board members that they're not willing to carry.  For example, Board members should not see moderation requests or need to do any extraordinary bcc'ing.  Their focus is on the business of the Board, not on making the email system work a certain way.

I'm posting here because I believe that it's a reasonable request that an option be provided for main group members to post to the subgroup without moderation.  This was not a problem for us when we were with Yahoo Groups.  (We are otherwise glad to be done with them...)  I'm actually curious to know why this isn't an option already.

Thanks,
Dave

On Wed, Feb 13, 2019 at 12:33 PM, Dave B. wrote:
Board members should not see moderation requests or need to do any extraordinary bcc'ing.  Their focus is on the business of the Board, not on making the email system work a certain way.
Moderators do not have to see any moderation requests, nor do they have to do, or receive, ANYTHING except emails addressed to the group owner address.

If you are concerned with them seeing only each initial message from homeowners, making them main-group moderators accomplishes exactly that with no further ado, including bcc'ing.

If on the other hand you anticipate longer conversations beyond a single initial message sent by a homeowner, they would simply have to check "bcc all moderators" on their response.

I can't answer your question as to why your feature is available in yahoo but not here, but I do think that meanwhile, if you plan to stay in groups.io, making the board members into group owners with extremely limited moderator permissions is a reasonable workaround for you. I would suggest familiarizing yourself with moderator permissions.

On Wed, Feb 13, 2019 at 01:03 PM, J_Catlady wrote:
making the board members into group owners
typo, should read

making the board members into group moderators

Here's another concern regarding your request: It sounds like what you desire is the ability of subgroup non-members to post to the subgroup, but not read messages in it. (Because if you also allowed them to read messages in it, then what is the point of having the subgroup and keeping them out?)

And if that's what you want, then the subgroup accomplishes only letting subgroup non-members to send one message to the board. It does not allow them to participate in a back-and-forth conversation with the board, because they would not be privy to the responses within that conversation.

And if THAT'S true, then the suggestion broached here of making the board members main-group moderators with limited permissions accomplishes exactly what you want.

Dave B.

J, thanks for your thoughts.  We're paid up through August, so we're not going anywhere else right now.

Dave

Dave B.

J, just saw your last post.  I'll experiment with your suggestion.

Dave

Dave,

Did I miss something?

I don't think so. I have the same use case, and the same request, in my PTA group.

The members of the school's PTA unit are (allowed to be) subscribers to the unit's primary group. The board members of the unit (a much smaller number of people) are subscribers to the "Board" subgroup.

The primary group members are already (in my estimation) trusted enough to be allowed to send messages to the board, but they should not be allowed to see the other conversations going on among the board. The primary and subgroup setup seem perfectly well suited for this.

Except for that one (in my case minor) annoyance that the subgroup can't be set to allow primary group members to post without moderation. For my case this a minor annoyance because it doesn't happen all that often that a unit member wants to contact the board. So having to approve the occasional non-subscriber message pending in the board subgroup isn't a major hassle. But as they say, "your mileage may vary" -- the need for prompt message delivery to the board might well be more pressing for other use cases.

Shal

So it seems both of you (Shal and Dave) want members to be able to post to the subgroup but not read messages in it. (I just created a test group to see if that configuration is even possible, and it is.) The upshot is that they can send single messages but not participate in conversations that the single messages might lead to. I suppose it makes sense on some level (e.g., I can send a complaint to the city street sweeping dept - which I just did lol - but I can't communicate further with them after that in a message thread).

So that said, I think the suggested workaround of making the subgroup members main-group mods, with only the permission to receive owner messages, could work, at least until the desired functionality is implemented. Further, it - unlike the "post to but not read" subgroup idea - would allow further conversations, if desired, by using "bcc all." With the post-to-but-not-read subgroup, you couldn't do it at all.

Dave B.

Is there any way to beg and plead for the addition of functionality in Groups.io?  Specifically, that when I click on "Approve and Unmoderate" from a subgroup it will unmoderate an address in the main group?  For the user that would be a much more straightforward solution.

Thanks for everyone's' help and comments.

Dave

On Tue, Feb 12, 2019 at 8:22 PM Dave B. <orf1000@...> wrote:
We desperately need for a subgroup to be able to unmoderate addresses in the main group.  This doesn't seem to be unreasonable, but it does not seem to be possible at this time.  We can't have members of the main group joining the subgroup, but they do need to be able to write to the subgroup without moderation.  They cannot have privy to all of the subgroup traffic, just be able to send to it.

Subgroups now have a checkbox 'Allow Parent Subs To Post' that, when checked, will allow parent subscribers who are not members of the subgroup to post to the subgroup without their messages being moderated.

Cheers,
Mark

Dave B.

This is great.  Thanks so much!