Topics

moderated Advanced Search Functionality - Is it coming? #suggestion

Brian Vogel <britechguy@...>

. . . and, if it isn't, shouldn't it be?

I am finding more and more often that I would love to be able to narrow my searches on a lot more than keywords/key phrases, and to do so easily.  I cannot find an easy way to do this on Groups.io, and although I have been given a couple of interesting workarounds using the Filter function, that's still not "good enough" for use by the average (or maybe slightly above) user.

I am thinking of something along the lines of what I have available to me on Bleeping Computer or even the now ancient forum software used by the Rolls-Royce Owners Club of Australia:

Bleeping Computer:

RROC-A:

I have no idea if such may already be in the works, but if it isn't, I'd like to ask that it be seriously considered.  There really should be an advanced search mechanism, even if that search is confined to one group rather than any of the groups one subscribes to, though the latter would be great if it's not hellishly difficult to implement.  There are often times when I can remember specific keywords or phrases, but not the group something was said in, or the author and the approximate date range, but not have an exact key word or phrase I can use.  Searching on this sort of criteria allows one to locate material far more easily.

Drew

Would love to have regex capable search in Groups.io but I suppose that is probably out of the question.

Drew

On 02/12/19 11:05, Brian Vogel wrote:
[...]
*/     I can hire one half of the working class to kill the other half./*
           ~ /Jay Gould <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jay_Gould>/, U.S. financier & railroad robber baron (1836 - 1892)

Duane

On Tue, Feb 12, 2019 at 03:38 PM, Drew wrote:
Would love to have regex capable search in Groups.io but I suppose that is probably out of the question.
By my reading, that should already exist since there was a 'fix' just a couple of weeks ago: https://beta.groups.io/g/main/message/19648

Duane

Drew

Thanks, Duane- I missed that. But I have tried a few regex in my group's search box and they don't work. There is probably some special syntax but I haven't been able to find any information. Anyone know?

Drew

On 02/12/19 16:50, Duane wrote:
On Tue, Feb 12, 2019 at 03:38 PM, Drew wrote:
Would love to have regex capable search in Groups.io but I suppose
that is probably out of the question.
By my reading, that should already exist since there was a 'fix' just a couple of weeks ago: https://beta.groups.io/g/main/message/19648
Duane

Bruce Bowman

On Tue, Feb 12, 2019 at 10:48 PM, Drew wrote:
But I have tried a few regex in my group's search box and they don't work.
I have tried a few POSIX expressions and can confirm that several are not recognized. The * and ? wildcards appear to work, as do quoted phrases. I've not experimented with it beyond that. See https://groups.io/g/GroupManagersForum/wiki/Using-the-Search-Engine. Further discussion of existing features should be carried out in GMF.

Regards,
Bruce

Brian Vogel <britechguy@...>

If regular expressions are actually supported, it would be really helpful to know what flavor/syntax (see: https://regex101.com/) is required.

I put this here since Mark may see it and be able to answer the question easily and quickly.

On Wed, Feb 13, 2019 at 6:36 AM Brian Vogel <britechguy@...> wrote:
If regular expressions are actually supported, it would be really helpful to know what flavor/syntax (see: https://regex101.com/) is required.

I believe that * works. I now don't think I have it set up for any other regex queries. Regex queries are apparently very resource intensive, and I'm seeing that a bit with the limited * searches that people are doing.

I put this here since Mark may see it and be able to answer the question easily and quickly.

Better advanced search is on the TODO, but I'm not sure when I will get to it. It's below my two current (and delayed...) main priorities, the ability for group owners to charge subscriptions, and an iOS/Android app.

Brian Vogel <britechguy@...>

Mark,

         This is not meant to be as argumentative as it may sound, but the ability to use the * wildcard would not be considered regex capability by anyone familiar with regular expressions.

          Wildcarding is supported in many contexts where regular expressions are not.  Until or unless something more akin to full regular expression syntax were to be supported I'd avoid making any reference to regular expressions as part of the Groups.io search.

           It's useful to know that this is the extent of what is supported, and I thank you for saying so.