moderated Yahoo Group exports

Hi All,

I had a bit of a brainstorm today and after some work, figured out how to make Yahoo Group exports work once again.

I'm going to make a change in the process however. For new groups requesting a transfer, I'm going to ask that they pay for a year of premium up front (they can of course downgrade after that). There are 8 groups that gave the go ahead to transfer between the time that transfers stopped working and when I took down the transfer page. I will grandfather them and not require they pay the year of premium.

I will set this up either tomorrow or Wednesday and send another notice then. If you are one of the 8 groups that gave the go ahead but have changed your mind for whatever reason, please contact me. I won't transfer those groups until Wednesday.

Questions, comments?

On Mon, Feb 11, 2019 at 06:56 PM, Mark Fletcher wrote:
If you are one of the 8 groups that gave the go ahead but have changed your mind for whatever reason, please contact me.
I would probably contact those people directly if you can...??? They may not be reading here and could be in for a surprise. :)

CWGI Director, Brandy Brow <director.brow@...>

I know one of the eight and her group just transferred, for which she'll be grateful.

Thank you, Mark.

Brandy Brow
Executive Director
Christian Writers' Group International (CWGI)
-----------------------------
Freelance Editor & Writer
"Medicine for Words and Hearts"

On Mon, Feb 11, 2019 at 6:59 PM J_Catlady <j.olivia.catlady@...> wrote:
On Mon, Feb 11, 2019 at 06:56 PM, Mark Fletcher wrote:
If you are one of the 8 groups that gave the go ahead but have changed your mind for whatever reason, please contact me.
I would probably contact those people directly if you can...??? They may not be reading here and could be in for a surprise. :)

A good idea. Will do.

Olympia Friends Meeting

Mark, I don't think I am one of those eight but my plan has been to pay for the year Premium all along.
So unless I hear otherwise I'll start the transfer process and pay tomorrow.

This is great news.
Thanks,
Gabi

Victor Mendez

Hello Mark,

Thank for your help. I'll just wating for the export from Y! Groups to start using groups.io, so, I'll be happy to pay a year premium.

Thanks again.

V.

El mar., 12 feb. 2019 a las 0:48, Mark Fletcher (<markf@corp.groups.io>) escribió:
On Mon, Feb 11, 2019 at 6:59 PM J_Catlady <j.olivia.catlady@...> wrote:
On Mon, Feb 11, 2019 at 06:56 PM, Mark Fletcher wrote:
If you are one of the 8 groups that gave the go ahead but have changed your mind for whatever reason, please contact me.
I would probably contact those people directly if you can...??? They may not be reading here and could be in for a surprise. :)

A good idea. Will do.

Víctor Méndez Muñoz
Arqueólogo, Investigador Independiente

Margery Flax

If I already have a premium account for one of my groups, and if I want to export a few more and make them subgroups, do I still have to pay for the transfers?

And, with subgroups, must all the members of the subgroup be a part of the main group?  And, is there a detailed explanation of how subgroups work available.

Thanks,
Margery

Dave Sergeant

Sadly that will mean that many groups who cannot afford the cost of
premium will be discouraged from moving to GIO. All my own groups moved
long ago but there may be many caught out by this change. I assume even
if they do later downgrade the initial payment is non refundable or
have I misunderstood?

Dave

On 11 Feb 2019 at 18:56, Mark Fletcher wrote:

I'm going to make a change in the process however. For new groups
requesting a transfer, I'm going to ask that they pay for a year of
premium up front (they can of course downgrade after that).

http://davesergeant.com

Duane

On Tue, Feb 12, 2019 at 07:49 AM, Margery Flax wrote:
And, with subgroups, must all the members of the subgroup be a part of the main group?  And, is there a detailed explanation of how subgroups work available.
This part I can try to answer.  Yes, in order to be a member of a subgroup, they must be members of the main group.  Otherwise, subgroups are pretty much independent of groups and have all of their own settings.

They may not cover all of the details, but there are a couple of good helper pages for subgroups at https://groups.io/g/GroupManagersForum/wiki/Why-use-a-Subgroup and https://groups.io/g/GroupManagersForum/wiki/Subgroups.

On Tue, Feb 12, 2019 at 07:56 AM, Dave Sergeant wrote:
Sadly that will mean that many groups who cannot afford the cost of
premium will be discouraged from moving to GIO.
It shouldn't keep them from moving, they'd just have to do everything manually.  My groups also 'moved' about 4 years ago, but we decided to start mostly fresh, so very little from Yahoo was needed.  Even with our fairly small number of users, we could have collected enough donations to pay $110 for a one year upgrade if we had wanted everything copied for us.

Duane

CW Bill Rouse

I am one of the 8 and the transfer went fine...thanks Mark

dave w

On Wed, Feb 13, 2019 at 03:45 AM, Duane wrote:
so very little from Yahoo was needed.
Duane/ Mark
While I understand the needs for commerce and a subscription basis, it is disappointing right now.
I am not wealthy at all and have been just cajoling a couple of other hobby groups to come over. Both have been devastated to some extent by membership attrition and the continually failing and limited facility provided by Y*.

In essence these groups have a small number of members (less than 100) and a small but to them valuable amount of records/ messages/ photos and documents about interest to their hobby. I'm sure we will not be able to shift under these circumstances.

I'm sure we wouldn't be unique, but understand the commercial necessity.
Regards
Dave W
Owner

Bill Burns <ftldny@...>

On 2/13/2019 3:21 AM, dave w via Groups.Io wrote:
While I understand the needs for commerce and a subscription basis, it is disappointing right now.
I am not wealthy at all and have been just cajoling a couple of other hobby groups to come over. Both have been devastated to some extent by membership attrition and the continually failing and limited facility provided by Y*.
In essence these groups have a small number of members (less than 100) and a small but to them valuable amount of records/ messages/ photos and documents about interest to their hobby. I'm sure we will not be able to shift under these circumstances.
I'm sure we wouldn't be unique, but understand the commercial necessity.
Regards
Dave W
Owner
Perhaps you could ask on your existing Yahoo groups if members could kick in a couple of dollars each to pay for the move, which is all it would take.

When I moved one of my groups last year I had to go Premium, as we had several hundred thousand messages. Even with just about thirty active members at that point, I had enough offers of support to easily pay the $110 for a year's subscription.

It's a move that we've all agreed was very worthwhile.

--
Bill

On Tue, Feb 12, 2019 at 5:49 AM Margery Flax <marigold20@...> wrote:
If I already have a premium account for one of my groups, and if I want to export a few more and make them subgroups, do I still have to pay for the transfers?

No, the premium account is for the parent group only.

And, with subgroups, must all the members of the subgroup be a part of the main group?  And, is there a detailed explanation of how subgroups work available.

Yes, members of the subgroups must be members of the parent group.

Hope this helps.
Mark

On Mon, Feb 11, 2019 at 6:56 PM Mark Fletcher <markf@corp.groups.io> wrote:

I'm going to make a change in the process however. For new groups requesting a transfer, I'm going to ask that they pay for a year of premium up front (they can of course downgrade after that). There are 8 groups that gave the go ahead to transfer between the time that transfers stopped working and when I took down the transfer page. I will grandfather them and not require they pay the year of premium.

The yahoo transfer page, at https://groups.io/yahootransfer is working once again.

Victor Mendez

Thank to you Mark!

We are already with even the payment for one year, We just want to leave Y!

El mié., 13 feb. 2019 a las 20:30, Mark Fletcher (<markf@corp.groups.io>) escribió:
On Mon, Feb 11, 2019 at 6:56 PM Mark Fletcher <markf@corp.groups.io> wrote:

I'm going to make a change in the process however. For new groups requesting a transfer, I'm going to ask that they pay for a year of premium up front (they can of course downgrade after that). There are 8 groups that gave the go ahead to transfer between the time that transfers stopped working and when I took down the transfer page. I will grandfather them and not require they pay the year of premium.

The yahoo transfer page, at https://groups.io/yahootransfer is working once again.

Víctor Méndez Muñoz
Arqueólogo, Investigador Independiente

CW Bill Rouse

Mark,

The price for transfer (Premium for 1 year) is less than a service call on your refrigerator! This is very generous. I want to thanks you.

I also want to say that I am glad that you are changing the focus of your time to benefit those groups that are paying an annual fee. In fact, in reality the groups paying an annual fee, actually allow groups.io give free service to groups that cannot afford a fee.

Bravo! Thanks!

Bill Rouse

Olympia Friends Meeting

Mark, it is wonderful that you figured out how to make the transfer from Yahoo work again.
We upgraded to premium and followed the transfer directions and you moved our stuff over and it was smooth as I could hope for.

Thank you!
Gabi