Topics

moderated Invite people to subgroups

(making this a new thread)

On Sun, Feb 10, 2019 at 11:48 PM Andy W <andy_wedge@...> wrote:
Hi Mark,
NEW: You can now invite someone to join a subgroup (they will be added
to the parent as well if they accept).
I've just been looking at this new feature.  I think previously, moderators of subgroups could only use the Direct Add feature (if they had permission) to add members of the main group to their subgroup. Allowing moderators of subgroups to invite members to a subgroup now gives them additional permissions over membership of the main group where they may only be a subscriber.  This goes against the principal of having those permissions in the first place.

What do other people think about this? Should this be a new/different permission? The permission is currently just worded 'Invite Members'. Previously a moderator of a subgroup who had this (but not in the parent group), could only add existing members of the parent group to the subgroup (directly adding them). Now they can invite people who are not members of the parent group to join the subgroup (they would be added to parent group automatically on joining).

Michael Pavan

Subgroup members must be Group members, therefore:

If a Moderator (with permission to invite to a Subgroup and the Group) invites someone (who does not belong to the Group) to join a Subgroup, then the invitee should be invited to join the Subgroup with the invitation saying they would also by default be joining the Group.

If a Moderator (with permission to invite to a Subgroup, but not the Group*) invites someone (who does not belong to the Group) to join a Subgroup, then the invitation should not created and the Moderator should be reminded they do not have permission to invite non-Group members to join the Subgroup.
*This recognizes that such Moderators do not have permission to invite to the Group.

On Feb 11, 2019, at 11:00 AM, Mark Fletcher <markf@corp.groups.io> wrote:

[...]

Andy Wedge

I'm just unclear about the rationale for this change. To anyone looking at the permissions of members at the main group level, it's not possible to determine who has access to control the membership.  A moderator of a subgroup gets access almost by proxy.

In our case, we planned to have a centrally maintained membership list with subgroup moderators being able to add previously vetted members to their own subgroups. The ability to have a centrally maintained list is one of the reasons we are looking at groups.io instead of a set of disparate Y! groups whose overall membership is difficult to control.  This latest change blows a big hole in our plans for that.

If the ability of a moderator to invite members to join a subgroup remains then I think it should be optional (distinct from Direct Add) - in which case we would disable it.

Regards,
Andy

Jim Higgins

Received from Mark Fletcher at 2/11/2019 04:00 PM UTC:

What do other people think about this? Should this be a new/different permission? The permission is currently just worded 'Invite Members'. Previously a moderator of a subgroup who had this (but not in the parent group), could only add existing members of the parent group to the subgroup (directly adding them). Now they can invite people who are not members of the parent group to join the subgroup (they would be added to parent group automatically on joining).

Since members of a subgroup must be a member of the main group, a subgroup moderator with no permission to add to the main group should not be able to add a member to the subgroup.

I suppose you could add a new permission the Group Owner could apply to subgroup moderators that would permit the subgroup moderator (who isn't a moderator in the main group) to add members to the main group ONLY by adding them to the subgroup, but that's starting to feel a bit messy for my taste.

Jim H

Andy Wedge

Hi Jim,
Since members of a subgroup must be a member of the main group, a subgroup moderator with no permission to add to the main group should not be able to add a member to the subgroup.
Can we clarify the terminology here.  Subgroup moderators (with the right permissions) have been able to Direct Add members from the main group membership list.  The new feature allows them to invite members.

to add members to the main group ONLY by adding them to the subgroup,
This is what the invite at subgroup level achieves as by accepting a subgroup invite, a user is also added to the main group.

Regards,
ANdy

Jim Higgins

Despite not using the word "invite," I understand... and my comments referred to subgroup moderators with NO PERMISSION to add to the main group.

Jim H

Received from Andy W at 2/11/2019 07:11 PM UTC:

Hi Jim,
Since members of a subgroup must be a member of the main group, a subgroup moderator with no permission to add to the main group should not be able to add a member to the subgroup.

Can we clarify the terminology here. Subgroup moderators (with the right permissions) have been able to Direct Add members from the main group membership list. The new feature allows them to invite members.

to add members to the main group ONLY by adding them to the subgroup,

This is what the invite at subgroup level achieves as by accepting a subgroup invite, a user is also added to the main group.

Regards,
ANdy

Andy Wedge

Hi Mark,

since making this recent change, the main help page is now out of date as it still states you cannot invite members to join a subgroup.

https://groups.io/static/help#subgroups

Regards,
Andy

Andy Wedge

Hi Mark,

I notice that the help page is still out of date as it states you cannot invite members to join a subgroup.

Andy

On Fri, May 31, 2019 at 3:16 PM Andy W <andy_wedge@...> wrote:

I notice that the help page is still out of date as it states you cannot invite members to join a subgroup.

I've removed that.