Topics

moderated Editing a Post to Add/Remove Attachments

Dennis - WU6X <wu6x@...>

It would be nice to be able to add or delete an attachment to an existing post. Maybe this exists, but I could not find a way to attach a pix, anywhere in the "EDIT" menus, to one of my existing posts. Cheers, Dennis

Jim Higgins

Received from Dennis - WU6X at 2/10/2019 03:32 PM UTC:

It would be nice to be able to add or delete an attachment to an existing post. Maybe this exists, but I could not find a way to attach a pix, anywhere in the "EDIT" menus, to one of my existing posts. Cheers, Dennis

I don't see any significant problem solved by an "add an attachment to an old message" capability.

It's likely to be used only rarely and when it is the members who have emails forwarded to their home won't know an attachment has been added unless Groups.io sends out a notice. So why have a separate "add an attachment to an old message" function and have Groups.io send a notice that that has happened when it's just as easy for the original sender to resend the original message with the originally intended attachment?

Jim H

I agree that being able to add an attachment via editing would be gilding the lily. And you can already delete attachments via editing.

KWKloeber

It’s not just as easy. Not everyone uses email posting. And if the orig post was via the web UI, one might desire to preview the post.

If a majority of users are web peeps rather than mirror email peeps then they see the edit.

That reason for not being able to edit/replace/add an attachment/pic is not gilding anything it’s an important function that’s missing (while y’all argue for a week about  semantics or whether tomato is a veg or a fruit in a menu or message.).  Not everyone uses io as you do.
Different folks, different strokes.

Such editing of text could take on the same argument- why have editing at all, just resend it but that’s a function I bet few would want taken away.

J STOP speaking for other masses and what they should or shouldn’t do. Or are you deciding for Mark what he can or cannot reasonably code?

Why poo-poo a function because YOU don’t see using it?

C’mon, extend the cat claws  ;-)

Ken

On Mon, Feb 11, 2019 at 06:44 AM, Ken Kloeber wrote:
J STOP speaking for other masses
Well, excuse me, I am simply agreeing with the majority in this thread. And I'll reserve the cat claws for far more important issues. This one is not really worth it.

KWKloeber

On Sun, Feb 10, 2019 at 10:34 AM, Dennis - WU6X wrote:
It would be nice to be able to add or delete an attachment to an existing post. Maybe this exists, but I could not find a way to attach a pix, anywhere in the "EDIT" menus, to one of my existing posts. Cheers, Dennis
Dennis no it doesn’t, as well as other functions that are missing from the edit functions. It’s something we’ve discussed over on the group managers forum and would be a VALUE ADDED addition.
Now let’s get back to the really important discussions such as what does “claimed by” really mean?  Mirriam Webster or dictionary.com?

On Mon, Feb 11, 2019 at 6:44 AM Ken Kloeber via Groups.Io <KWKloeber=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:

That reason for not being able to edit/replace/add an attachment/pic is not gilding anything it’s an important function that’s missing (while y’all argue for a week about  semantics or whether tomato is a veg or a fruit in a menu or message.).  Not everyone uses io as you do.

I believe everyone that participates on beta is doing so because they care about the service and want to see it improve. I do think debate sometimes goes on past a point of adding to the conversation and have said so on occasion. But I think that's just because of the passion of the people involved.

C’mon, extend the cat claws  ;-)

Ken, even with the smiley, I think this was uncalled for.

Mark

KWKloeber

I don’t see this forum as a popularity poll. If so start an effin poll.  Or Mark should institute a poll across each group if an idea is brought forward. Just who wants.  Then if it’s 51% do it.  eh?

i see follow up dialog as when one can suggest a work around, or an improvement to an improvement, or a serious pitfall why it could not work. Not well, I prefer, or piling on, or have the need to add .02 to each and every message. Start a .02 group for that.

If if I am wrong on my assessment of why we’re here, then I relent.  But not before I see everybody weigh in on a popularity poll, not just ones with idle fingers.
Im punchy this am, said tongue in cheek to reinforce this craziness- please take it as such. :-)
your groupie

KWKloeber

Mark

thank you sincerely for the work you do, and the desire to improve the io platform.

On a a lighter note I was in a heated (from a member) discussion regarding something that could and should have remained 100% fact based. You know the typical responses when someone doesn’t know the verifiable facts :-).

I gave the group a heads up that IO was beta testing an option - the automatic SPBS filter. Stop posting bullshit. And it was working pretty well and ready to roll out.

Some bit into the apple, believe it or not!!

On Mon, Feb 11, 2019 at 07:45 AM, Ken Kloeber wrote:
the automatic SPBS filter
Reminds me of a product a former software manager of mine wanted to develop: a program called RunRite. You would apply it to any piece of buggy software and it would fix the bugs.

On Mon, Feb 11, 2019 at 7:45 AM Ken Kloeber via Groups.Io <KWKloeber=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:

I gave the group a heads up that IO was beta testing an option - the automatic SPBS filter. Stop posting bullshit. And it was working pretty well and ready to roll out.

Some bit into the apple, believe it or not!!
_._,_._,_
Something I've been hoping to add as an optional integration at some point:

With options like being able to automatically moderate any posts it thinks are toxic, or put up warning signs to people about to post such topics. Not sure how well it works, and it'd be optional of course....

Mark

Jim Higgins

Received from Mark Fletcher at 2/11/2019 03:56 PM UTC:

Something I've been hoping to add as an optional integration at some point:
https://www.perspectiveapi.com
With options like being able to automatically moderate any posts it thinks are toxic, or put up warning signs to people about to post such topics. Not sure how well it works, and it'd be optional of course....

I prefer to deal with problem posters via actively managing my groups. Posters who are repeatedly offensive simply get tossed.

My email client has an option called MoodWatch. If turned on - which it isn't - it warns of harsh language before sending as well as in incoming messages... including calling Richard by his preferred nickname. As a tool for bringing bad behavior to my attention it's far more trouble than it's worth.

Jim H

KWKloeber

On Sun, Feb 10, 2019 at 10:34 AM, Dennis - WU6X wrote:
It would be nice to be able to add or delete an attachment to an existing post. Maybe this exists, but I could not find a way to attach a pix, anywhere in the "EDIT" menus, to one of my existing posts. Cheers, Dennis
Has this gotten any further consideration (other than the tit for tat that had ensued :-) ).

Ive just run across several instances where manipulating attachments (PDFs) and pix needed to be included when message editing and couldn’t.  I wasn’t even able to paste a link to the url of the  PDFs (as a poor workaround.). I could explain why this was needed (but it’s irrelevant to the request to add that feature to editing.)

Thx.