Topics

moderated Change handling of banned vs. removed members somehow? #suggestion

I am starting to grant more privileges to my moderators (previously I handled almost everything by myself). There is one really confusing them re banned vs. removing members, and my newly privileged moderators, not surprisingly, are totally confused.

Today I asked them to "remove and ban" member X from the group (I was not home and couldn't easily do it from my phone, plus I wanted to give them the experience.) So a mod banned X successfully. But she did not after that show up in the "past members" list. She showed up in the "banned" list with "joined date" of a few months ago, when she joined the group.

I wanted her to be in "past members," so I then went into the banned members list and clicked on "remove." The dialog came up asking me, "Remove this member from the group?" (as if she were still in it) and I clicked on "yes." Of course, the effect was not to remove her from the GROUP, since she'd already been removed (although did show up as such). The effect was to remove her FROM THE BANNED MEMBERS LIST. So I then had to go in and ban her again, using the past members list. This time, her "join date" in the banned list showed up as just now, the date and time I banned her!

I realize there's something going on with internal member records here that I don't grasp and probably never will, but it seems funky, to say the least. I wonder now - and will shortly test this in my test group - whether "ban" and "remove" are commutative operations, i.e., whether the effect of first removing someone and then banning them is the same as first banning them and then removing them. It seems intuitively that when you ban someone, you would expect that they would also be removed (and show up in the past members list). But that's not exactly the case.

I'm going to do some further experimenting, but something seems very quirky here. I've noticed anomalies with banned vs removed before this, but I need something to give my newly-empowered moderators to explain to them what they should do to ban a member and have them show up, as I think they should, in the "past members" list without going through contortions.

Bottom line, my request is to clean this whole area up somehow. At minimum, I think a "banned" member should show up in "past members" without having to specifically remove them from the banned list after the banning, and then ban them AGAIN from the "removed members" list.

Another thing is that a member's "date joined" gets set to the date they were banned under the circumstances I just described. Which is incorrect. It's taking the date they were added to the "banned members" list and using it as the date they joined the group.

On Sun, Jan 27, 2019 at 4:14 PM J_Catlady via Groups.Io <j.olivia.catlady=gmail.com@groups.io> wrote:
Bottom line, my request is to clean this whole area up somehow. At minimum, I think a "banned" member should show up in "past members" without having to specifically remove them from the banned list after the banning, and then ban them AGAIN from the "removed members" list.

Termicat

Where do I find the past members list?

Termi

Bottom line, my request is to clean this whole area up somehow. At minimum, I think a "banned" member should show up in "past members" without having to specifically remove them from the banned list after the banning, and then ban them AGAIN from the "removed members" list.

"Past members" is only available in premium groups.

On Sun, Jan 27, 2019 at 5:30 PM Termicat <termicat@...> wrote:
Where do I find the past members list?

Termi

Bottom line, my request is to clean this whole area up somehow. At minimum, I think a "banned" member should show up in "past members" without having to specifically remove them from the banned list after the banning, and then ban them AGAIN from the "removed members" list.

Termicat

Ah, okay, thanks so much!

Termi

Bottom line, my request is to clean this whole area up somehow. At minimum, I think a "banned" member should show up in "past members" without having to specifically remove them from the banned list after the banning, and then ban them AGAIN from the "removed members" list.

Another funky thing is that the "removal" I just described (where it asks "Remove this member from the group?" even though they've already been removed through the banning, and even though I did the removal from the Banned Members list) does not get logged.