Topics

moderated Wiki requests

KWKloeber

Sure would be more friendly/convenient if

Each display page
  • Had a small "Edit" button at the TOP (like MediaWiki) for logged-in users.

  • It's an unnecessary PITA to have to scroll to the end each time when making and saving multiple edits on a LONG page.

The photo editing options (contrast, etc) dialog box
  • Edits displayed real time, as you move the slide-bar
  • The slide-bar locked onto the keyboard L <=> R arrow keys.
  • Adding a border to and/or a (simple) frame to pix was an option.

While composing/editing
  • pages were saved in Wiki Drafts as are message drafts

The Wiki TOC display box
  • The title could display enhanced text (bolt, color, etc.)
  • Width could be user-set.  Or alternately, to simply have the box free-span across the page.
  • The box is too narrow for long headings to display nicely, especially if there are level 2.3.4 headings in the TOC.

PDFs
  • Could reside in a Wiki space, rather than in the Files space.
  • Could be hidden so they are available to only the wiki viewers or mods.

Chris Jones

On Tue, Jan 22, 2019 at 06:48 AM, Ken Kloeber wrote:
PDFs
  • Could reside in a Wiki space, rather than in the Files space.
  • Could be hidden so they are available to only the wiki viewers or mods.
As an option, perhaps. We have several pdfs for members' use in the files section of the group I moderate (and others I know), and we wouldn't want to lose that facility.

Chris

KWKloeber

Chris

Again I am referring to PDFs that are explicitly used on a wiki page.
Not PDF files that are stored in file space for general viewing/use.

-k

Andy Wedge

On Tue, Jan 22, 2019 at 06:48 AM, Ken Kloeber wrote:
It's an unnecessary PITA to have to scroll to the end each time when making and saving multiple edits on a LONG page.
I agree it would be nice to have some edit options at the top of a page but failing that, you shouldn't need to spend time scrolling down. CTRL+End will take you to the bottom of the page.

Andy

Duane

On Wed, Jan 30, 2019 at 08:45 PM, Ken Kloeber wrote:
Again I am referring to PDFs that are explicitly used on a wiki page.
I guess I'm not understanding what you want here, or why it would be different.  The PDFs can be stored in the Files section, then add links in the Wiki.  Seems like it adds up to the same thing.  Only members have access to the files, so the Wiki could be public if you want, but non-members wouldn't be able to open the files.

Duane

Sharon Villines

Many months ago I recommended the Google Sites wiki as an excellent model for the "general public" to use. We have residents of a condominium recording and consulting a Google wiki on all things related to the facilities and there have been no problems even with the most recalcitrant users.

But we now have the new and improved Google Sites which is awful. Just awful. I dread the next phone call or email asking Whaaaaaaat? I don’t even like to look for things myself.

The easy WYSIWG is still there but all the menus are hidden. Layers of hidden menus. Takes forever to navigate from one subpage to another to another. The menu has to be opened each time. And some menus are three vertical dots, others a button with an icon, a hamburger, etc. And you have to hover over many just to find them.

I haven’t made a list of things missing but the options are more limited. And it requires you to use Drive, Documents, etc for some things. It automatically saves them elsewhere. Go figure why this and not that. So if you delete one of those appendages you might be deleting pieces of another one.

It’s a perfect bad example of a new powerful streamlined awe-inspiring thus much less useful service you wish you had never gotten started with.

Sharon
------
Sharon Villines, Washington, DC
"As long as you have two or fewer, your ducks are always in a row." The Covert Comic

Sharon Villines

On Jan 31, 2019, at 9:11 AM, Duane <txpigeon@gmail.com> wrote:

I guess I'm not understanding what you want here, or why it would be different. The PDFs can be stored in the Files section, then add links in the Wiki. Seems like it adds up to the same thing. Only members have access to the files, so the Wiki could be public if you want, but non-members wouldn't be able to open the files.
This is exactly the reason we don’t allow attachments on an active email list of 3000+. When the attachment is one place and the message somewhere else, they get delinked or set up with different permissions, etc. The attachments get deleted and the message then makes no sense in a year. Easier to require the whole message to be the whole message.

The same thing will happen with a wiki. It’s incredibly frustrating to see links to things that you can’t access or are missing. At least if it is all stored together, you have a chance of creating archives that are useful in 10 years.

For example, I frequently research all mentions of a topic over a period of 20 years. I arrange the messages from 3-5 related lists into one chronological list. This has been incredibly helpful in figuring out the history of decisions related to the HVAC or a pesky neighbor.

But at one point, Yahoo decided without notice to delete all attachments on messages with no way to either save or retrieve them. Suddenly years of documents were gone. Hundreds and hundreds of drafts, photos, etc.

I remain highly leery of Google’s integrated apps and things being entered in one place but stored in another. Better to have no attachments and reference the files for PDFs if that is where they really are.

Sharon
----
Sharon Villines, Washington DC
"We're only the light bulbs, and our job is just to remain screwed in.” Bishop Desmond Tutu

That's unfortunate - Google Sites was really a hidden gem.  Are you saying the classic version went away?  I have a project there I intend to get back to one of these days.

Sharon Villines

On Feb 1, 2019, at 3:10 PM, Rob Gordon <rob@action.associates> wrote:

That's unfortunate - Google Sites was really a hidden gem. Are you saying the classic version went away? I have a project there I intend to get back to one of these days.
Yes. It will shortly be defunct. And it was a hidden gem.

The old sites won’t be maintained. I don’t know if they will be automatically transferred or deleted or will just sit there.

Everyone is designing for smartphones so hiding things makes it easier to design for limited space. But on a laptop, all that back and forth, open and close, is irritating.

Sharon
----
Sharon Villines, Historic Takoma Park
In Washington DC, Where all roads lead to Casablanca

KWKloeber

New Sites and classic sites will both be available for your use. We will continue to add capabilities to new Sites over the coming months to increase its usefulness. Once new Sites includes these additional features, we will begin a gradual deprecation process for classic Sites. We will provide at least 12 months notice before beginning this gradual deprecation process.

Sharon Villines

Did this have a date on it — when it was posted? I read this over a year ago and raced to reach the deadline. I remember that there was a date on the notice I saw.

On Feb 2, 2019, at 10:28 PM, Ken Kloeber via Groups.Io <KWKloeber=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:

New Sites and classic sites will both be available for your use. We will continue to add capabilities to new Sites over the coming months to increase its usefulness. Once new Sites includes these additional features, we will begin a gradual deprecation process for classic Sites. We will provide at least 12 months notice before beginning this gradual deprecation process.

KWKloeber

It was on the Sites Help and/or info pages when creating a new group.
I saw it because I checked on starting a new site and checked on the  features of the "Classic Site" vs "New Site."   No date that I saw.

Gerald Boutin <groupsio@...>

Try this page: https://9to5google.com/2019/01/28/classic-google-sites-until-2021/

--
Gerald

KWKloeber

Additionally, seems  Delete and Discard might be forced way right?

On Tue, Jan 22, 2019 at 01:48 AM, Ken Kloeber wrote:
[...]

And please add the “Confirm” warning to the “X Discard” the edited page button?

On Mon, Feb 4, 2019 at 11:42 AM, Ken Kloeber wrote:
please add the “Confirm” warning to the “X Discard” the edited page button
If so, please make it optional.  Yes, I realize it's only 1 click, but ...

Duane

KWKloeber

Another -- consistency between messages and the wiki.
You "X Cancel" a message edit, but "X Discard" a wiki page edit.   Is there a functional difference between those?