Topics

Integration message moderation change

Hi All,

I just made a change to how integration messages are handled with groups that are set to moderated. Integration messages for this conversation include email integration messages as well as any automated messages from the system, specifically including calendar invites and any notification messages, like new file notifications.

Previously, these messages ignored the group moderated setting. Now, if a group is moderated, these messages will be moderated as well.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mark,

Previously, these messages ignored the group moderated setting. Now,
if a group is moderated, these messages will be moderated as well.
Email integrations have their own control for moderated or not.

I take it this change means the two operate as an OR: messages via an email integration are moderated if that integration is moderated OR the group is moderated.

Makes sense to me.

Shal

On Sat, Jan 19, 2019 at 8:46 PM Shal Farley <shals2nd@...> wrote:

Email integrations have their own control for moderated or not.

I take it this change means the two operate as an OR: messages via an
email integration are moderated if that integration is moderated OR the
group is moderated.

That is correct.

On Fri, Jan 18, 2019 at 11:46 AM, Mark Fletcher wrote:
Integration messages for this conversation include email integration messages as well as any automated messages from the system, specifically including calendar invites and any notification messages, like new file notifications.
Would it be possible to have a way for noreply@groups.io to be set to unmoderated for these situations, especially calendar entries?  Many folks use a calendar entry to make monthly (or other scheduled) announcements to their groups and it caught many off guard this morning.  If there's a better option, I'm all for it.  Possibly an 'always unmoderated' option for hashtags could be used?

Duane,

Would it be possible to have a way for noreply@groups.io
to be set to unmoderated for these situations, especially calendar
entries?
I'd like to see an Override: Unmoderated option in the setup for a calendar event. Only available to moderators of course.

I was originally thinking it could just be a rule that events set by owners/mods have unmoderated invite/reminder/notice despite the group moderation setting; but that might be too mysterious. Having it as an explicit option makes it self-documenting.

Shal

Bruce Bowman

A hashtag setting would be more versatile. That way I can set up different behavior for the initial invitation, reminders and notices -- not to mention non-calendar related hashtags. It would have to somehow be restricted to Mods, though. I don't want subscribers to be able to set up hashtags that override the group moderation setting.

Bruce

This change is definitely causing issues for some groups, especially around calendar notifications/invites. So I think I need to do something.

On Fri, Feb 1, 2019 at 11:35 PM Shal Farley <shals2nd@...> wrote:

I'd like to see an Override: Unmoderated option in the setup for a
calendar event. Only available to moderators of course.

I like this but it doesn't work for the case where groups allow members to add events.

I don't see how adding an 'unmoderate' flag to a hashtag would work, because that opens things up to people abusing it.

It seems like, for better or worse, a group setting is needed. Should it apply to all notifications or just calendar events? And what should the default be?

Mark,

I like this but it doesn't work for the case where groups allow members to add events.

I don't see how adding an 'unmoderate' flag to a hashtag would work, because that opens things up to people abusing it.

I'd restrict the control's visibility to moderators, and make the default be "moderated" for non-mods. I'm ambivalent whether the default should be unchecked (moderated) or checked (override) for moderators.

This way a moderator can go in and apply the "unmoderate" override  to an event created by a member, if so desired, but the member can't themselves create an event with the override enabled.
It seems like, for better or worse, a group setting is needed. Should it apply to all notifications or just calendar events? And what should the default be?

If I were to recommend a group setting it would control the default for the event's override checkbox, and probably be defaulted to "override" to match (prior) behavior. That of course would be event notice/reminder/invite only.

What Yahoo Groups did eventually was tie event reminders to the Posting Privileges of the event's creator. The events created by those with the Override Moderate (which also meant NuM) would not send reminders. This stopped spammers from using events as a back-door around message moderation. I was never very fond of that solution because it was entirely cryptic behavior. But they were able to just slap it in place during a time when they had minimal development resources. Groups.io can/should do better.

Shal

Bruce Bowman

On Fri, Feb 8, 2019 at 07:47 PM, Mark Fletcher wrote:
This change is definitely causing issues for some groups, especially around calendar notifications/invites. So I think I need to do something.
If folks wanted their various integrations, calendar notices, etc to be moderated, they have always had the ability to edit the corresponding hashtags and/or integration settings to make that happen. To be honest, I feel the best path forward is to revert this change.

Regards,
Bruce

Bob Bellizzi

A bit late to this conversation but while I like the idea of integration moderation variation for the moderators (sorry, I like to pun)
this change disabled our Facebook page integration which was working fine till the change went into effect.
I have the moderate box checked and nothing is getting through since the change on two of my groups.
We don't do a lot of FB but feel that it's important to pass the info along when we do things, especially Fundraisers since FB fundraisers have no charges except foreign exchange charges.  So they are essentially free and people can look at all of the fundraisers even without logging into FB.

Looking for ideas here.

--

Bob Bellizzi

Founder, Fuchs Friends ®

Bob Bellizzi

I solved the issue which apparently was caused by the change to Integrations which made moderation of them optional.
The Moderated box somehow was checked by the change (as default?) but we weren't seeing any FB Page posts coming through.
I simply unchecked the Moderated box and saved it and then reopened that integration and rechecked it.
That worked!
--

Bob Bellizzi

Founder, Fuchs Friends ®

Hi All,

I have reverted the change to how integration/notification messages are handled. Now, as originally, they do not obey the group moderation setting. I think this was the most straightforward solution, as you can use hashtag settings to moderate them.

Mark,

I have reverted the change to how integration/notification messages
are handled. Now, as originally, they do not obey the group moderation
setting.
Yay, sort-of.

This still leaves events as a back-door around moderation, if members are allowed to create events. That could be significant for groups that rely on NuM to weed out spammers before they post.

I think this was the most straightforward solution, as you can use
hashtag settings to moderate them.
True, but this sledgehammer (applied to the #cal-... hashtags) would moderate invites, notices and reminders from all events, even "official" ones created by the group admins.

And it is a bit awkward, because the group admins must remember to apply it to all three of those hashtags. Or else have the strange situation of moderating one but not the others.

This situation points to the need for a moderation mechanism for the creation of events by members. I realize that implies several UI changes, including listing events in the Pending queue (or having a separate queue for them), and however you handle their display in the Calendar while pending (mods and creator only?).

Given that calendar events can be used to generate spam, I'd suggest that at least initially they be controlled by settings in the Spam Control section of the Group Settings. Moderate event creation by members if either Moderated or New Users Moderated is checked. Perhaps also disallow the "Subscribers can view and edit" choice in the Calendar control if the "Announcement Group" box is checked.

Shal