moderated Locked Topic Message needs Editable Reason for Rejection

Linda

Hello,

List does not allow Private messages.

Scenario: A New Topic from a member reveals a bad prognosis.
List has more than 1250 members who want to offer support.
Locking the topic is necessary to stay focused on the disease.

Requested: The ability to customize the rejection notice for a Locked Topic.
In this case including the private email address would avoid hurt feelings.
Also, same message in a Tool Tip for web readers would make it perfect.

Thanks,
Linda

Duane

On Tue, Jan 15, 2019 at 04:42 AM, Linda wrote:
List does not allow Private messages.

Requested: The ability to customize the rejection notice for a Locked Topic.
In this case including the private email address would avoid hurt feelings.
I don't understand why you would not allow Private replies, but then send the person's email address in a rejection notice.  Or am I misunderstanding this?

Duane

Bob Bellizzi

So, someone can report a bad prognosis but you want to lock that topic so that others can't offer sympathy?
Hope this is not a patient advocacy group
--

Bob Bellizzi

Founder, Fuchs Friends ®

Linda

Hello,
The purpose of the group is to educate people about a particular disease and
the latest treatments and research. "List does not allow Private messages"
referred to the group Settings, chosen so all group members can benefit from
the info that is shared. It is less about hiding email addresses, but that
is important also. Members who receive single messages already know how to
respond privately. Others are told in the rejection of their messages, where
to email their sympathy.

The member reported they had just been diagnosed with a second, completely
different, unrelated disease.

In the absence of the requested feature, I appended the following message to
the post before locking it, but I would have preferred that the second
statement go only to members who tried to offer sympathy publicly, once the
topic was locked:

Note from Linda: XXXXX, it goes without saying that each and every one of us
is touched by your revelation and sends love and support as you deal with
this new hurdle. You will beat this too! Xo

Members: It is YYYYY Groups policy to have personal messages sent directly
to the person being addressed, in this case XXXXX. Please send your message
directly to XXXXX at ZZZ @ ZZZ (close spaces). Thank you.

Thanks,
Linda
Bob wrote:
So, someone can report a bad prognosis but you want to lock that topic so
that others can't offer sympathy?
Hope this is not a patient advocacy group
Linda wrote:
List does not allow Private messages.

Scenario: A New Topic from a member reveals a bad prognosis.
List has more than 1250 members who want to offer support.
Locking the topic is necessary to stay focused on the disease.

Requested: The ability to customize the rejection notice for a Locked Topic.
In this case including the private email address would avoid hurt feelings.
Also, same message in a Tool Tip for web readers would make it perfect.

My group has a nearly identical problem. We require condolences for cats with the disease we deal with to be sent privately, for a plethora of reasons; yet, for a plethora of other reasons, we do not allow private replies. So we lock topics about cats who have just died, and send a group message asking people to send condolences privately, with the person's email address included in the message.

The problem with the requested feature I see is that it would only work for people trying to reply via email. So I'm not sure it would be effective.

Currently, I just post a message to the group saying we are sorry for the person's loss, and that condolences may be sent to xyz email address.