moderated "preview" function for web posts #suggestion

As a moderator, I am using self-moderation in order to preview my posts. I can do this for both email and web posts. For non-moderator members, it might be nice to provide a "preview" feature for their web posts, as exists in some other forums; they would click "send," be shown a preview of how their post would actually look, allowed to edit it, and then "confirm" (or whatever verbiage is desired).

Since I can predict that some groups would object strenuously to this "extra step," it could be made a group option.

Or, rather than a group option or a universally applied feature, it could be made an account option, where an individual user decides whether or not they want to preview their posts.

On Sat, Jan 12, 2019 at 11:55 AM, J_Catlady wrote:
where an individual user decides whether or not they want to preview their posts.
Is there some reason they can't 'preview' their posts before hitting send, other than laziness or impatience?  Seems like an unneeded extra step to me.  Of course, it were optional, I'd certainly disable it.

Duane

Yes, there is s reason. The compose box doesn’t look the same as the final post.

This feature exists in some other forum software and I don’t moderate/preview my posts out of “laziness.” On the contrary.

I’m suggestion an (advanced) account option. You would never need to bother your head about it. 😊

Gerald Boutin <groupsio@...>

On Sat, Jan 12, 2019 at 02:06 PM, J_Catlady wrote:
Yes, there is s reason. The compose box doesn’t look the same as the final post.

This feature exists in some other forum software and I don’t moderate/preview my posts out of “laziness.” On the contrary.

I’m suggestion an (advanced) account option. You would never need to bother your head about it. 😊

On Jan 12, 2019, at 10:02 AM, Duane <txpigeon@...> wrote:

On Sat, Jan 12, 2019 at 11:55 AM, J_Catlady wrote:
where an individual user decides whether or not they want to preview their posts.
Is there some reason they can't 'preview' their posts before hitting send, other than laziness or impatience?  Seems like an unneeded extra step to me.  Of course, it were optional, I'd certainly disable it.

I use the "Show Advanced Toolbar" > "Preview"

How is this different than what is being discussed here?

--
Gerald

Gerald,

I didn't know there even was such a thing. I'll go check that out now. Thanks.

On Sat, Jan 12, 2019 at 10:33 AM Gerald Boutin <groupsio@...> wrote:
[...]

Gerald, thanks for that, great idea. I haven't checked out what happens with attachments, etc., but I'm glad to see this feature is already here.

Brian Vogel <britechguy@...>

On Sat, Jan 12, 2019 at 01:06 PM, J_Catlady wrote:
The compose box doesn’t look the same as the final post.

This feature exists in some other forum software
Yep, and some very "antique" forums software, at that.  One of the car forums I'm on hasn't had the actual software used to run it updated in years now, and it's stayed on it because we have not been able to find anything that can convert the existing archive to something more modern, and the information is just too precious to lose.

It has a preview function because it uses a weird variant of BBCODE to include things like links, images, etc.

You activate "preview message" or not from the compose area.  The same is true on the far more modern forums software used at Bleeping Computer, where the Add Reply and Preview Post buttons are side by side beneath the full compose dialog.

Brian Vogel <britechguy@...>

On Sat, Jan 12, 2019 at 01:33 PM, Gerald Boutin wrote:
I use the "Show Advanced Toolbar" > "Preview"
Where is this hiding?  I can't seem to find it, at least not easily.

Well, anyway, turns out we have it here (thanks, Gerald). I don't know how useful it will be but will start giving it a shot. I think previewing messages sent by email is more valuable, but I don't think that's realistically implementable (except by the moderation hack).

It's the eyeball. :)

On Sat, Jan 12, 2019 at 10:50 AM Brian Vogel <britechguy@...> wrote:
On Sat, Jan 12, 2019 at 01:33 PM, Gerald Boutin wrote:
I use the "Show Advanced Toolbar" > "Preview"
Where is this hiding?  I can't seem to find it, at least not easily.

Brian Vogel <britechguy@...>

J,

           Thanks for the attempted help, but I still am not seeing this.

           Now, after noodling more, I see that the control furthest to the right, which at first glance looks like a "justify text" option, is the "Show Advanced Toolbar" option.  Once that's up I see the eyeball.

           I seem to recall, though, that showing the advanced toolbar doesn't "stick" between posts.  But I'll try another reply right after this one goes to see what shows up.

Brian Vogel <britechguy@...>

Nope, doesn't stick.  Now the question is if there is a control to make one's default toolbar always be the advanced compose toolbar.

Michael Pavan

On Jan 12, 2019, at 1:50 PM, J_Catlady <j.olivia.catlady@gmail.com> wrote:

I think previewing messages sent by email is more valuable, but I don't think that's realistically implementable (except by the moderation hack).
One can always email their message to themself at the same and/or other email addresses to get a sense of how their post will appear to others...

Emailing a message to oneself in order to preview it I would find a bit of a PITA and doesn't allow editing, etc. Anything besides a real preview (including self-moderation) is more or less an inconvenient hack.

Michael Pavan

On Jan 12, 2019, at 2:28 PM, J_Catlady <j.olivia.catlady@gmail.com> wrote:

Emailing a message to oneself in order to preview it I would find a bit of a PITA and doesn't allow editing, etc.
One edits and then resends to oneself, etc.

Anything besides a real preview (including self-moderation) is more or less an inconvenient hack.
I understand self-moderation is also a PITA.

I support this and other suggestions for additional flexibility of group functions in Groups.io that do not diminish or remove functions for others.

Of course, one could always just push for ‘better training’ instead of improvements…

On Sat, Jan 12, 2019 at 11:43 AM, Michael Pavan wrote:
self-moderation is also a PITA.
Yes, it is.

Of course, one could always just push for ‘better training’ instead of improvements
Not really, in this case.

KWKloeber

One issue with advanced options is that, if you “Edit” a msg, the Insert Image icon isn’t available.

Maybe a topic for another topic.

-ken

KWKloeber

I don’t think it shows on a “device”   The icon does show up on a PC under the advanced options.

There’s other quirks on a device (at least iPhone) can’t select a line or two of text - try and it selects the entire page.  So basically impossible to bold, underline  etc.

-k

KWKloeber

On Sat, Jan 12, 2019 at 12:53 PM, J_Catlady wrote:
As a moderator, I am using self-moderation in order to preview my posts. I can do this for both email and web posts. For non-moderator members, it might be nice to provide a "preview" feature for their web posts, as exists in some other forums; they would click "send," be shown a preview of how their post would actually look, allowed to edit it, and then "confirm" (or whatever verbiage is desired).

Since I can predict that some groups would object strenuously to this "extra step," it could be made a group option.

A forced preview is not a bad thing. For anyone. I certainly would not object to one addl click.
Just sayin.

That’s why I have any auto send turned off on outlook. It’s SAVED by rear many times to be forced to Send what’s in my outbox!!!