Topics

moderated "follow" and "unfollow" dropdown for members using the group's Topics list #suggestion


 

It would be convenient for members subscribed via "following only" to be able to click on a topic in the topics list and follow or unfollow it from there, rather than via email, because sometimes, the original email has been deleted or can't be found, and because sometimes, you just might want to do it that way. Using the overall Topics list on the left to follow or unfollow topics from the site is relatively awkward - unintuitive and takes too many steps.
--
J

Messages are the sole opinion of the author, especially the fishy ones.
My humanity is bound up in yours, for we can only be human together. - Desmond Tutu


Frances
 

I find it annoying that I can’t choose to follow a thread from the web, from the group home. 

So so this would be something I would use. 

Frances


Duane
 

It would appear to me that there would need to be another view, "not followed", available to use the "follow" option.  Otherwise you'd need to click the More (or new drop down?) on each post to see if you were already following.  And the "follow" and "unfollow" options should only appear for those that are using that setting as their delivery method.

Duane


 

Duane,

Currently you can follow and unfollow whether or not you’re set to ‘following only’. The system acts on it only if you’re set to ‘following only.’ Otherwise it ignores. (BTW ‘delivery method’ refers to single email or digest, etc; not your advanced preference to ‘following only’)

I envision it being like ‘moderate/immoderate and lock/unlock, so I don’t see a problem there, either.
  
Maybe I misunderstood your concerns?



On Dec 29, 2018, at 2:41 AM, Duane <txpigeon@...> wrote:

It would appear to me that there would need to be another view, "not followed", available to use the "follow" option.  Otherwise you'd need to click the More (or new drop down?) on each post to see if you were already following.  And the "follow" and "unfollow" options should only appear for those that are using that setting as their delivery method.

Duane

--
J

Messages are the sole opinion of the author, especially the fishy ones.
My humanity is bound up in yours, for we can only be human together. - Desmond Tutu


 

ps I do see a possible implementation headache with displaying a iser’s customized view of the Topics list. But that would be for Mark to sort out if he likes this idea. Not sure whether it’s practical or whether it would slow things to a grinding halt.


On Dec 29, 2018, at 3:14 AM, J_Catlady via Groups.Io <j.olivia.catlady@...> wrote:

Duane,

Currently you can follow and unfollow whether or not you’re set to ‘following only’. The system acts on it only if you’re set to ‘following only.’ Otherwise it ignores. (BTW ‘delivery method’ refers to single email or digest, etc; not your advanced preference to ‘following only’)

I envision it being like ‘moderate/immoderate and lock/unlock, so I don’t see a problem there, either.
  
Maybe I misunderstood your concerns?



On Dec 29, 2018, at 2:41 AM, Duane <txpigeon@...> wrote:

It would appear to me that there would need to be another view, "not followed", available to use the "follow" option.  Otherwise you'd need to click the More (or new drop down?) on each post to see if you were already following.  And the "follow" and "unfollow" options should only appear for those that are using that setting as their delivery method.

Duane

--
J

Messages are the sole opinion of the author, especially the fishy ones.
My humanity is bound up in yours, for we can only be human together. - Desmond Tutu


--
J

Messages are the sole opinion of the author, especially the fishy ones.
My humanity is bound up in yours, for we can only be human together. - Desmond Tutu


 

By customized display, I mean whether the drop down shows ‘follow’ or ‘unfollow’ under any given topic.


On Dec 29, 2018, at 3:19 AM, J_Catlady via Groups.Io <j.olivia.catlady@...> wrote:

ps I do see a possible implementation headache with displaying a iser’s customized view of the Topics list. But that would be for Mark to sort out if he likes this idea. Not sure whether it’s practical or whether it would slow things to a grinding halt.


On Dec 29, 2018, at 3:14 AM, J_Catlady via Groups.Io <j.olivia.catlady@...> wrote:

Duane,

Currently you can follow and unfollow whether or not you’re set to ‘following only’. The system acts on it only if you’re set to ‘following only.’ Otherwise it ignores. (BTW ‘delivery method’ refers to single email or digest, etc; not your advanced preference to ‘following only’)

I envision it being like ‘moderate/immoderate and lock/unlock, so I don’t see a problem there, either.
  
Maybe I misunderstood your concerns?



On Dec 29, 2018, at 2:41 AM, Duane <txpigeon@...> wrote:

It would appear to me that there would need to be another view, "not followed", available to use the "follow" option.  Otherwise you'd need to click the More (or new drop down?) on each post to see if you were already following.  And the "follow" and "unfollow" options should only appear for those that are using that setting as their delivery method.

Duane

--
J

Messages are the sole opinion of the author, especially the fishy ones.
My humanity is bound up in yours, for we can only be human together. - Desmond Tutu


--
J

Messages are the sole opinion of the author, especially the fishy ones.
My humanity is bound up in yours, for we can only be human together. - Desmond Tutu


--
J

Messages are the sole opinion of the author, especially the fishy ones.
My humanity is bound up in yours, for we can only be human together. - Desmond Tutu


 

Still thinking out loud; it wouldn’t necessarily slow things down because the system would have to look up whether the user is following the topic or not only if they click on the drop down. It would not have to check every topic every time it displays the Topics list.


On Dec 29, 2018, at 3:22 AM, J_Catlady via Groups.Io <j.olivia.catlady@...> wrote:

By customized display, I mean whether the drop down shows ‘follow’ or ‘unfollow’ under any given topic.


On Dec 29, 2018, at 3:19 AM, J_Catlady via Groups.Io <j.olivia.catlady@...> wrote:

ps I do see a possible implementation headache with displaying a iser’s customized view of the Topics list. But that would be for Mark to sort out if he likes this idea. Not sure whether it’s practical or whether it would slow things to a grinding halt.


On Dec 29, 2018, at 3:14 AM, J_Catlady via Groups.Io <j.olivia.catlady@...> wrote:

Duane,

Currently you can follow and unfollow whether or not you’re set to ‘following only’. The system acts on it only if you’re set to ‘following only.’ Otherwise it ignores. (BTW ‘delivery method’ refers to single email or digest, etc; not your advanced preference to ‘following only’)

I envision it being like ‘moderate/immoderate and lock/unlock, so I don’t see a problem there, either.
  
Maybe I misunderstood your concerns?



On Dec 29, 2018, at 2:41 AM, Duane <txpigeon@...> wrote:

It would appear to me that there would need to be another view, "not followed", available to use the "follow" option.  Otherwise you'd need to click the More (or new drop down?) on each post to see if you were already following.  And the "follow" and "unfollow" options should only appear for those that are using that setting as their delivery method.

Duane

--
J

Messages are the sole opinion of the author, especially the fishy ones.
My humanity is bound up in yours, for we can only be human together. - Desmond Tutu


--
J

Messages are the sole opinion of the author, especially the fishy ones.
My humanity is bound up in yours, for we can only be human together. - Desmond Tutu


--
J

Messages are the sole opinion of the author, especially the fishy ones.
My humanity is bound up in yours, for we can only be human together. - Desmond Tutu


--
J

Messages are the sole opinion of the author, especially the fishy ones.
My humanity is bound up in yours, for we can only be human together. - Desmond Tutu


Duane
 

On Sat, Dec 29, 2018 at 05:14 AM, J_Catlady wrote:
I do see a possible implementation headache with displaying a iser’s customized view of the Topics list.
For quite awhile, one of my niggling concerns has been that the online view ignores any muted hashtags.  That means that I always see all topics, regardless of any that I might mute.  I think this would be a similar situation.  I believe Mark explained that as having the site be a display of all messages, as opposed to your specific preferences.

I envision it being like ‘moderate/immoderate and lock/unlock, so I don’t see a problem there, either.
But those are only shown to moderators with privileges.  I wouldn't want more items shown, especially if they don't apply to a particular user, which could cause more misunderstandings.

BTW, I don't currently see any way to start following online, but that may be because I don't use email at all (except special notices)?

Duane


 

On Sat, Dec 29, 2018 at 03:37 AM, Duane wrote:
For quite awhile, one of my niggling concerns has been that the online view ignores any muted hashtags.  That means that I always see all topics, regardless of any that I might mute.  I think this would be a similar situation.  I believe Mark explained that as having the site be a display of all messages, as opposed to your specific preferences.
I think doing either one would be an implementation nightmare. But my subsequent thought about looking up whether a topic is followed or not only if the user clicks on the dropdown removes that nightmare. It would be akin to a user clicking on "More" for a message and seeing either "Like"or "Unlike."

I envision it being like ‘moderate/immoderate and lock/unlock, so I don’t see a problem there, either. But those are only shown to moderators with privileges.   I wouldn't want more items shown,
The way I envision this, a non-moderator member would see only the "follow" or "unfollow" option when clicking on the dropdown. Moderators would simply have that added to the rest of their options.

BTW, I don't currently see any way to start following online,
You can do it, but as I said, it's awkward and unintuitive (the latter being proven by the fact that you didn't know about it;). You have to go to groups.io and then to your "Topics" list on the left. That shows you all of your topics in all of your groups, and you can follow or unfollow from there. It's in the Help doc. :)
 
--
J

Messages are the sole opinion of the author, especially the fishy ones.
My humanity is bound up in yours, for we can only be human together. - Desmond Tutu


 

Speaking of "mute" (no pun intended;), if there's going to be follow/unfollow from the Topics list, then there should also be mute/unmute.
--
J

Messages are the sole opinion of the author, especially the fishy ones.
My humanity is bound up in yours, for we can only be human together. - Desmond Tutu


Duane
 

On Sat, Dec 29, 2018 at 06:03 AM, J_Catlady wrote:
On Sat, Dec 29, 2018 at 03:37 AM, Duane wrote:

BTW, I don't currently see any way to start following online,
You can do it, but as I said, it's awkward and unintuitive (the latter being proven by the fact that you didn't know about it;). You have to go to groups.io and then to your "Topics" list on the left. That shows you all of your topics in all of your groups, and you can follow or unfollow from there. It's in the Help doc. :)
Thanks for the reminder.  I was thinking I'd seen it before, but had forgotten since I never use it!  Yes, it is a bit awkward, especially since it only appears on the site overview pages.  As Frances said, it would be nice to have that option in each group.  That might be easier to implement than the drop down addition and could show the "follow" or "unfollow" as appropriate for the topic being viewed, as it now does on the overview page.

Duane


 

I think it would be redundant/superfluous to have a *separate* Topics list per group, in each group, in addition to the main Topics list you see. I think the dropdown addition to the existing group Topics list makes more sense. Plus, it would be fewer steps.


On Sat, Dec 29, 2018 at 4:23 AM Duane <txpigeon@...> wrote:
On Sat, Dec 29, 2018 at 06:03 AM, J_Catlady wrote:
On Sat, Dec 29, 2018 at 03:37 AM, Duane wrote:

BTW, I don't currently see any way to start following online,
You can do it, but as I said, it's awkward and unintuitive (the latter being proven by the fact that you didn't know about it;). You have to go to groups.io and then to your "Topics" list on the left. That shows you all of your topics in all of your groups, and you can follow or unfollow from there. It's in the Help doc. :)
Thanks for the reminder.  I was thinking I'd seen it before, but had forgotten since I never use it!  Yes, it is a bit awkward, especially since it only appears on the site overview pages.  As Frances said, it would be nice to have that option in each group.  That might be easier to implement than the drop down addition and could show the "follow" or "unfollow" as appropriate for the topic being viewed, as it now does on the overview page.

Duane


--
J

Messages are the sole opinion of the author, especially the fishy ones.
My humanity is bound up in yours, for we can only be human together. - Desmond Tutu


 

On Sat, Dec 29, 2018 at 05:06 AM, J_Catlady wrote:
in addition to the main Topics list you see.
meaning: in addition to the Topics list you see in the group
 
--
J

Messages are the sole opinion of the author, especially the fishy ones.
My humanity is bound up in yours, for we can only be human together. - Desmond Tutu


Frances
 

Of course, this doesn’t work ion an iPhone. I can “follow” from a footer in an email. It takes me to a screen to click follow. I can click on Hashtags on my iPhone in my groups - topics. But I can’t subscribe to a thread (follow) from the groups.io web interface. When I am away from home, like now, I use my iPhone. 

And if I am on the groups.io website, whether I am in all topics for my subscriptions or individual group, I can’t follow a thread - ie, get future posts in my email inbox for Beta or GMF.  My subscriptions for these are first message, follow. 

Frances


 

I’m not sure I get your problem. You at first seemed to be saying that the problem was only on a phone, or that the mobile interface was different. I wouldn’t know about that because I rarely use groups.io on my phone. 

But if you’re on the site on your computer, I don’t understand why you can’t choose to follow and unfollow topics from there. What’s the problem you’re experiencing?


On Dec 29, 2018, at 6:31 AM, Frances <frances@...> wrote:

Of course, this doesn’t work ion an iPhone. I can “follow” from a footer in an email. It takes me to a screen to click follow. I can click on Hashtags on my iPhone in my groups - topics. But I can’t subscribe to a thread (follow) from the groups.io web interface. When I am away from home, like now, I use my iPhone. 

And if I am on the groups.io website, whether I am in all topics for my subscriptions or individual group, I can’t follow a thread - ie, get future posts in my email inbox for Beta or GMF.  My subscriptions for these are first message, follow. 

Frances

--
J

Messages are the sole opinion of the author, especially the fishy ones.
My humanity is bound up in yours, for we can only be human together. - Desmond Tutu


 

ps I think you might be unclear on the current way things work. For example, you can’t follow topics from a group site, only from the groups.io site (which lists all your groups). And ‘first’ just means you get the first, but not subsequent, messages of every topic. To get the rest you havd to follow the topic. Have you read the Help topic? Not sure, but sounds like your issues might be better addressed in GMF.


On Dec 29, 2018, at 6:37 AM, J_Catlady via Groups.Io <j.olivia.catlady@...> wrote:

I’m not sure I get your problem. You at first seemed to be saying that the problem was only on a phone, or that the mobile interface was different. I wouldn’t know about that because I rarely use groups.io on my phone. 

But if you’re on the site on your computer, I don’t understand why you can’t choose to follow and unfollow topics from there. What’s the problem you’re experiencing?


On Dec 29, 2018, at 6:31 AM, Frances <frances@...> wrote:

Of course, this doesn’t work ion an iPhone. I can “follow” from a footer in an email. It takes me to a screen to click follow. I can click on Hashtags on my iPhone in my groups - topics. But I can’t subscribe to a thread (follow) from the groups.io web interface. When I am away from home, like now, I use my iPhone. 

And if I am on the groups.io website, whether I am in all topics for my subscriptions or individual group, I can’t follow a thread - ie, get future posts in my email inbox for Beta or GMF.  My subscriptions for these are first message, follow. 

Frances

--
J

Messages are the sole opinion of the author, especially the fishy ones.
My humanity is bound up in yours, for we can only be human together. - Desmond Tutu


--
J

Messages are the sole opinion of the author, especially the fishy ones.
My humanity is bound up in yours, for we can only be human together. - Desmond Tutu


 

J,

It would be convenient for members subscribed via "following only" to
be able to click on a topic in the topics list and follow or unfollow
it from there,
Agreed.

I think anything one can do from your home page (combined group topics) one should be able to do from an individual group's Topics.

Using the overall Topics list on the left to follow or unfollow topics
from the site is relatively awkward - unintuitive and takes too many
steps.
Agreed also.

It would be a bit handier if each message in those Topic lists had a drop-menu of actions after the date, the way the Topics in group lists do. That way one wouldn't have to open it to find the Follow/Unfollow buttons.

Shal


 

Duane,

It would appear to me that there would need to be another view, "not
followed", available to use the "follow" option. Otherwise you'd need
to click the More (or new drop down?) on each post to see if you were
already following.
To identify Followed (and Muted) topics I'd suggest another badge, F (and M) placed in the list, on the line with the author, date, and menu. In expanded view maybe near the date and message number.

That way one could tell at a glance which topics you're following (or have muted), without the need for another view option nor for opening a menu.

And the "follow" and "unfollow" options should only appear for those
that are using that setting as their delivery method.
With badges, members who don't Follow or Mute anything would not see anything new.

Shal


 

J,

I think it would be redundant/superfluous to have a *separate* Topics list per group, in each group, in addition to the main Topics list you see.

My suggestion for viewing, within a group's topic list, only the topics you are Following (or have not Muted) is to add those options to the topic filter (funnel icon):

Right now that opens up controls for filtering topics by date. But it would be logical enough to have checkboxes for additional filter choices here, such as Followed and not Muted.



The primary objection I can see to this would be its "stickiness", or rather lack thereof. I can imagine users might want to filter the groups topics to only Followed (or not Muted) and have that selection stay with them as they navigate the site. It is a topic similar to the stickiness of the Messages / Topics / Expanded / Polls list view selection, but perhaps easier to resolve. I suggest simply remembering the filters as one navigates the site, but one could make that an explicit choice by adding a padlock icon (which toggles between open and locked) on the filters.

Shal


 

Shal, 

I would not want the Topics list to be filtered by ANYTHING. I think that would be a bad mistake. The Topics list is the way for a user to easily see all the messages and topics in a particular group. In fact, it's the ONLY way to see that, per group. Filtering it would be like putting blinders on users.

My suggestion at the top of this thread is only to Follow, Unfollow, Mute, and Unmute *email* messages by using the group's topic list as an interface.
--
J

Messages are the sole opinion of the author, especially the fishy ones.
My humanity is bound up in yours, for we can only be human together. - Desmond Tutu