moderated provide "favoriting" (bookmarking) of posts #suggestion

I may have suggested this in the past (am having deja-vu) but it would be very convenient for any group member to be able to mark posts as personal favorites in order to find them quickly. (I would not want to bookmark them in a browser; that would be much less convenient, and I'm anticipating possibly hundreds of posts being marked.)

Gerald Boutin <groupsio@...>

On Fri, Dec 28, 2018 at 10:16 AM, J_Catlady wrote:
I may have suggested this in the past (am having deja-vu) but it would be very convenient for any group member to be able to mark posts as personal favorites in order to find them quickly. (I would not want to bookmark them in a browser; that would be much less convenient, and I'm anticipating possibly hundreds of posts being marked.)

Flagging posts as "favorites" would be relatively easy. The much harder part would be to find the one you want later. Did you have something in mind as far as what kind of functionality that you would be looking for?

Do you use your browser Favorites much? I do, enough to know that I can do what you are asking for in a reasonable enough fashion that I can find things easily later.

For example, I use Chrome, but I assume other current browsers are still similar enough in their functionality. I would put a folder on the top of the browser, and call it something like "Posts". If I just wanted a straight list of a few favorites, I could use the "Name" text string to provide some bit of organization. You did say "hundreds of posts" and for that, I would add more level(s) of folder structure. I do this now for different applications, but I find the hardest part to be defining the hierarchy. Using the browser favorites manager for me is the easy part.

I am quite curious as to what you had in mind. How would you see this suggestion as being different or better than just using the browser? Were you thinking about perhaps extending the database functionality or making the functionality available for email users? Or would this just be a simple list and "Favorite" would be another filter parameter for the current search?

--
Gerald

On Fri, Dec 28, 2018 at 08:01 AM, Gerald Boutin wrote:
The much harder part would be to find the one you want later.
That's what I'm suggesting.:)

I am quite curious as to what you had in mind. How would you see this suggestion as being different or better than just using the browser?
I don't want to clutter up browser favorites with a bunch of specific messages in groups.io. They are on a lower level. I want my browser favorites to consist of the sites themselves. What I have in mind is being able to go into groups.io and easily seeing a list of messages I've marked as a favorite somehow. This could be as simple as keeping an internal list, per member of the "Liked" posts, and displaying it on demand by the member.

(Note: my prior suggestion of a group option to disable "Likes" would not conflict with this. That suggestion is really a suggestion to allow disabling *public* Likes, because of the social issues involved. "Likes" could still be marked, but they could be made private so that only the member Liking the post sees the Like, and so that the complete list of "Liked" posts could be displayed by the member whenever desired. Since the option to disable Likes would be on a group-by-group basis, and the list of favorites I'm asking for would be over all the member's groups, it might be better to call this feature Favorite, in case the disable-Likes option gets implemented - to avoid confusion.)

p.s. Gerald, I realize you can do this with browser folders, etc. It's why I said preemptively that I don't want to be bothered with all that. I am requesting a groups.io feature to make it easier. (I am in several social media sites where the feature exists.)

Also, browser favorites are a little bit too persistent for what I have in mind. I want to be able to mark - and unmark - posts as favorites easily and directly from the groups.io site.