moderated tweaks to limbo status for member not yet approved to a group #suggestion

I recently applied to a restricted group.

Days later, I am sometimes seeing the group in my groups list as if I'm a member of it, and at other times, seemingly randomly, there is a pink banner at the top of my groups list saying "Your subscription has not yet been approved."

It is not even clear which subscription the banner is talking about, since it's just at the top and not attached to anything, and does not mention a specific group. And even more oddly, when I click on the group itself, the home page appears with no banner at all, as if I'm a member. It's only when I click on my Subscription page for the group that the banner comes up - but wait: it comes up sometimes, but not others! And even when the banner does not come up, leading me to think I've finally been approved, when I go to the home page I see at the bottom, "Your subscription is pending approval." Unless I'm really missing something (always a distinct possibility), this is a holy mess and needs to be cleaned up!

Somewhat related to that: partly because it's taking so long to get approval to that group and partly because I'm having second thoughts about the group in general, I have since rethought my application to that group and am thinking I no longer want to join it. But I don't think there's a way to undo an application to a group. If so, it might be good to add that ability.

And I have since posting the below confirmed that the home page of the group does sometimes display the "You have not yet approved" banner and sometimes does not. Same with the subscription page. Same with my groups list. The only consistent thing is the text at the very bottom of the group's own home page saying that my subscription is pending approval.

More info: 1. The "Your subscription has not been approved" banner appears at the top of my groups list immediately after I've visited my subscription page of the group I haven't yet been approved in - even though it bears no relationship to my groups list. 2. If I visit the home page of the group I have not yet been approved in, and if the banner appears (sometimes it does, sometimes it doesn't), then if I refresh the page, the banner goes away - even though I'm still not approved in the group.

I'm beginning to think this behavior should be classified as a bug and will start compiling the info and reporting it to support instead of here.

Gerald Boutin <groupsio@...>

On Mon, Dec 24, 2018 at 01:31 AM, J_Catlady wrote:
I'm beginning to think this behavior should be classified as a bug and will start compiling the info and reporting it to support instead of here.
Agreed.

This behavior (bug) has existed for at least two years as I noticed it several times when Yahoo groups that I was in started moving here. I wanted to dump my old Yahoo email address and, at the time, it was easiest to just unsubscribe the old Yahoo account based subscription that was transferred over with the group and resubscribe under a new email address.

So, yes, I've seen this one - a lot.

--
Gerald

On Mon, Dec 24, 2018 at 05:28 AM, Gerald Boutin wrote:
So, yes, I've seen this one - a lot.
It probably has not gotten mentioned here in beta because most of us here are group owners or moderators and don't see it from the member's perspective of having applied to a group, but rather from a mod's perspective, where everything looks fine in terms of someone having applied to our groups. And it probably has not gotten reported to support, either, because most new groups.io members would not even realize that it's a bug, or if it is, that they should report it to support.

It occurs to me that it would behoove us here to look at things more from a non-moderator's perspective in general.

I am adding this piece of info to this thread (so that I don't forget) and will harvest the whole thing later to send to support: I just went into my own group, the group I own, and found the "Your subscription has not yet been approved" banner at the top of the page. It was a bit scary and I thought at first I wasn't in the right group. But I was in the Messages page of my own group.

Ok, will take the rest of this offlist and into support.