Topics

moderated add "fast forward" double arrow for member page scroll #suggestion

As a favor to a group owner who is relatively unfamiliar with groups.io, I've been working my way through a 3,000-member group, changing M statuses to NuM because of an incorrectly done yahoo transfer. I do this in my spare time, and usually I get through a couple hundred members and then go back to doing something else.

I'm now finding that the scroll button to go to the next page does not allow you to scroll to the next "page of pages" -  if it shows pages 1-17, for example, it won't let you jump to the scroll that starts with page 18. You still have to go one by one through each of the 17 pages to get to page 18. Before I got through page 17, I could remember, for example, that I left off on page 14 and the next time, upon entering the group, could easily click on page 15. But now, I can't jump to page 18. I have to scroll through each page before that.

I would usually expect a double-arrow button in a situation like this, allowing me to see the next "page of pages" (18 through whatever), and I think that should be added if possible.

p.s. I should add that it's not really that the yahoo transfer was done incorrectly. It was that there was no option provided to specify, in a an NuM group, whether M members in the yahoo group should transfer over as M or as NuM. In this case, they should have transferred over as NuM. So as a side issue, I am again suggesting this option/choice for yahoo transfers.

Another issue while scrolling through members: I just jumped through all the hoops to get back to where I was (approximately page 18), and sent a bounce probe to a bouncing member there. Unfortunately that took me back to page 1 and now I have to start all over again. :-( It would be nice if after doing an action on a member, you were taken back to where you were in the members list.

While the 'fast forward' could be useful in several places, I did some 'testing' this morning and found a few things that might speed up the job for you, at least a little bit.  In case you haven't already, set your site preference for 100 items per page.  Then on the Members page, just select all (top left check box), scroll to the bottom, use Change Moderation in the action box, and select NuM for everyone.  (It won't change anything for those that already have this setting, including the number of remaining posts needed.  Any that had already met the posting goal will be reset to the default.)  After that page completes/updates, go to the next page and repeat.  A quick estimate says you should be able to do all 3000 in 10 minutes or so.  If there are a few specific users that should be skipped, a list of them could be used to 'fix' them after the fact.  If there are many, then this method probably wouldn't help much.

This is a situation where being able to sort by moderation status could be helpful.  Maybe that will be in the overhaul that's coming.

Duane
PS  I was going to send this offlist, but thought others might find it useful.

Jim Higgins

Received from J_Catlady at 12/22/2018 02:48 PM UTC:

Another issue while scrolling through members: I just jumped through all the hoops to get back to where I was (approximately page 18), and sent a bounce probe to a bouncing member there. Unfortunately that took me back to page 1 and now I have to start all over again. :-( It would be nice if after doing an action on a member, you were taken back to where you were in the members list.

Yes!

It would be nice when clicking on a member in the member list for that click to open in a new tab so after editing/whatever that member we could just close that page and be back where we started from in the member listing for a simple lather, rinse, repeat for others in the list. Same for lists of bouncing members or any other lists involving members.

Jim H

Thanks Duane, am already doing all of those. 🐱And the thought occurred to me about sorting by posting ststus. But I know that’s already on the Todo list.

On Sat, Dec 22, 2018 at 07:22 AM, Jim Higgins wrote:
It would be nice when clicking on a member in the member list for that click to open in a new tab
The inconsistent thing about it is that if you just open the member page, and then go back, you go back to the list and to the page you were in it. But if you do anything when the member page is open, such as send a bounce probe, you go back to page 1 of the list.

Jim Higgins

Received from J_Catlady at 12/22/2018 06:07 PM UTC:

On Sat, Dec 22, 2018 at 07:22 AM, Jim Higgins wrote:
It would be nice when clicking on a member in the member list for that click to open in a new tab

The inconsistent thing about it is that if you just open the member page, and then go back, you go back to the list and to the page you were in it. But if you do anything when the member page is open, such as send a bounce probe, you go back to page 1 of the list.

Yes, now you do, but with my suggestion you wouldn't. Perhaps I'm not explaining well.

First of all, my suggestion is NOT a replacement or modification of your original suggestion, but it would make a really nice (and related) ADDITION to it.

Your "fast forward" suggestion seems most useful for refinding your place between DIFFERENT viewing/editing sessions. My suggestion is meant for keeping your place during the SAME viewing/editing session.

I'll explain mine again... hopefully better this time...

Currently when you click on a member in a member list (whether a list of all members, pending approval members, bouncing members or banned members) a new page opens and the original page is lost. The only way to get back is via the back button in the browser... or to navigate back via the Gio lefthand menu. Either of those loses your place in the original list. If clicking on a member in the member list opened a NEW TAB in your browser, leaving the list page in place, you could navigate back just by closing the new tab... which redisplays the original list page as it was before you clicked a member in it. It's a great way to keep your place during a single viewing/editing member session.

The usual method of holding the CTRL key while clicking something doesn't spawn a new tab when clicking on a Groups.io member list. I'm basically suggesting that whatever is preventing this "normal" browser behavior be "fixed."

Jim H

No I understood and love your suggestion. Just was making it clear that I was responding to you.😊

On Dec 22, 2018, at 11:37 AM, Jim Higgins <HigginsJ@...> wrote:

[...]

Toby Kraft

Jim, J, I agree - good suggestion to edit member and retain location in list of members you're working from.
Mark's code is using JavaScript to change the location of the current window.  Seems like it could be changed to open a new window (which most browsers can be configured to do new tab).
Since the click event is not an html link, the ctrl and right-click features are not available.  Might be some reason he choose to use click event to open the page.
Thanks
Toby
Merry Christmas and Happy New Year Everyone!

Termicat

Where do you find your site preference?  I have not been able to locate it. I would like to have 100 items per page for photos when deleting photos.

Thank you.

Termi

J_Catlady wrote:

So as a side issue, I am again suggesting this option/choice for yahoo
transfers.
https://beta.groups.io/g/main/message/16503

+1

Shal

Jim,

It would be nice when clicking on a member in the member list for that
click to open in a new tab so after editing/whatever that member we
could just close that page and be back where we started from ...
My reflex is to always use Ctrl+Shift+LeftMouse to open list items in new tabs, for exactly this reason.

I could have sworn that I'd done this previously in the Members list, but it doesn't work now. Presumably for the reason Toby reports.

Huh.

+1 on Jim's suggestion above, or at least making the alternate clicks work in the usual way.

Shal

Shal,
Hey, you found it! At least we’re consistent. 😊

On Dec 22, 2018, at 2:55 PM, Shal Farley <shals2nd@gmail.com> wrote:

J_Catlady wrote:

So as a side issue, I am again suggesting this option/choice for yahoo
transfers.
https://beta.groups.io/g/main/message/16503

+1

Shal

Cacky B

I'd like to give this a bump.
Cacky

I'm now finding that the scroll button to go to the next page does not allow you to scroll to the next "page of pages" - if it shows pages 1-17, for example, it won't let you jump to the scroll that starts with page 18. You still have to go one by one through each of the 17 pages to get to page 18. Before I got through page 17, I could remember, for example, that I left off on page 14 and the next time, upon entering the group, could easily click on page 15. But now, I can't jump to page 18. I have to scroll through each page before that.

I would usually expect a double-arrow button in a situation like this, allowing me to see the next "page of pages" (18 through whatever), and I think that should be added if possible.
I agree with your thoughts, J. As a related thought, I'd like to see that same group of pages scroll bar at both the top and bottom of a search page. If a person is looking for a known group of pages, why is it necessary to scroll to the bottom of the page first? Why isn't the page selection available at both the top and the bottom of a list of messages? It would be more convenient for the browsing I've done. Having one browsing button on top and another on the bottom just seems arbitrary and confusing.

Dano

I agree with that too, Dano, and found the distinction between top and bottom awkward while working my way through.