Topics

locked - make edits to posts count in chrono display of messages/threads #suggestion

I would really like to have my "Start Here" sticky message appear at the top, and am trying to edit it to make it the latest post. But editing it doesn't seem to count. It still shows as "3 hours ago" despite my having changed it 5 minutes or so ago. Can edits count as something "new" to be moved up in the chrono order? 

J

Ella Yu <ellaxyu@...>

Maybe this can be done. I think this is a good idea.

----- Original Message -----
To: beta@groups.io
Date sent: Sun, 20 Dec 2015 17:42:34 -0800
Subject: [beta] #wishlist - make edits to posts count in chrono display of messages/threads

I would really like to have my "Start Here" sticky message appear at the top, and am trying to edit it to make it the latest post. But editing it doesn't seem to count. It still shows as "3 hours ago" despite my having changed it 5 minutes or so ago. Can edits count as something "new" to be moved up in the chrono order?혻

J

Here's a kluge around it: Reply to the message, making the thread move up in the chrono list. Then delete the reply. (The thread doesn't move back down. Two bugs cancel each other out.;) This works for now.

vickie <vickie_00@...>

Olivia for your group service this  would be a work around option. 
Personally  I feel work around is added work.. but if this is what works for you. sure why not

In my case with a freecycle group, reply goes directly to the members email account
offer-er has to give the  responder   directions on  where to pick up the item
for privacy reasons I do not allow members  addresses public  in the forum. 

´
Vickie

To: beta@groups.io
Sent: Sunday, December 20, 2015 9:28 PM
Subject: [beta] Re: #wishlist - make edits to posts count in chrono display of messages/threads

Here's a kluge around it: Reply to the message, making the thread move up in the chrono list. Then delete the reply. (The thread doesn't move back down. Two bugs cancel each other out.;) This works for now.

Still getting caught up from vacation...

On Sun, Dec 20, 2015 at 5:42 PM, J_catlady <oliviajcatlady@...> wrote:

I would really like to have my "Start Here" sticky message appear at the top, and am trying to edit it to make it the latest post. But editing it doesn't seem to count. It still shows as "3 hours ago" despite my having changed it 5 minutes or so ago. Can edits count as something "new" to be moved up in the chrono order? 

Not quite sure I understand. You marked a thread as sticky. And it doesn't always show up at the top when viewing the archives in Message View or Expanded Message View. Is that the issue (it's true, sticky doesn't have an effect on those views)? 

Say a sticky thread has more than one message. Do all of those messages get shown at the top of the Message/Expanded Message Views? Not sure there's a good answer there.

Thanks,
Mark

Mark,

... You marked a thread as sticky. And it doesn't always show up at the
top when viewing the archives in Message View or Expanded Message View.
Is that the issue (it's true, sticky doesn't have an effect on those
views)?
I'm not J, but I'd like sticky to apply in the Message views.

Say a sticky thread has more than one message. Do all of those messages
get shown at the top of the Message/Expanded Message Views? Not sure
there's a good answer there.
I'm not sure it needs a good answer, my snap reaction is "no", only the first.

For my use cases (so far) the threads marked "sticky" have only one message. And I think that will be fairly typical when they are used for group rules or group info types of postings. And in those cases where there are more than one, the sticky first has the handy "View All N Messages in Thread" link.

-- Shal