From: "Nightowl >8#" <featheredleader@...>
Date: 10/13/16 20:20 (GMT-08:00)
To: beta@groups.io
Subject: Re: [beta] Proposal: All groups must be moderated or new user moderated

Mark Fletcher wrote:>>So I propose to make it so that all groups must be either moderated or have new users be moderated.  I have not yet thought through whether this should apply to sub-groups as well. But I wanted to get everyone's take on this proposal first. Is there a good reason to allow open groups at all?<<

It depends what you mean by open groups. Sanctuary is a group where anyone can join, and it can be read publicly. But no one can post without being unmoderated and approved. As long as a group's archives can still be open to the public,I'd be fine with what you are proposing to do.

Brenda

Nightowl >8#

Mark Fletcher wrote:>>So I propose to make it so that all groups must be either moderated or have new users be moderated.  I have not yet thought through whether this should apply to sub-groups as well. But I wanted to get everyone's take on this proposal first. Is there a good reason to allow open groups at all?<<

It depends what you mean by open groups. Sanctuary is a group where anyone can join, and it can be read publicly. But no one can post without being unmoderated and approved. As long as a group's archives can still be open to the public,I'd be fine with what you are proposing to do.

Brenda

ncatt

I think Mark is asking for a io groups solution . . . not a single group solution.

He needs something that works for all with as little inconvenience as possible.

If someone will not even post to join, what will they ever contribute to the group, ever!
(except a member count)

The better group:
10 that often post are better then a thousand that will never

Maybe capchas for group creation then membership approval for groups
until membership reaches a certain size

On 10/6/2016 11:09 AM, Robert Schechter wrote:
My group is closed. We do not need/want moderating.

--
✞
God Bless America

Sorry to be coming in late on this and I haven't had time to read the beta groups digest much lately (recently moved and started new job) so I might be speaking up unnecessarily, in which case, never mind.

I would not want to have to moderate my group, even for new users. It takes way too much time, and for my group isn't normally needed except rarely for someone being inappropriate. I wonder why this came up at all. Surely it should be up to the owner whether their group or individuals in the group should be moderated?

As much as I adore groups.io, requiring moderation would be a deal breaker for me.

Rae
--------------------------------------
Rachel Rice, MA
Professional Indexer and Editor

Robert Schechter

My group is closed. We do not need/want moderating.

Brian Vogel <britechguy@...>

Also, lurkers (and I've been one) who are true lurkers aren't going to be too concerned about posting, at least not immediately.  If they know what they need to do prior to posting capability being "turned on" that's generally enough to filter humans from spambots.
--
Brian

Brian Vogel <britechguy@...>

Sue,

           You take "new member introductions" literally.  The users on the forum I refer to don't.  There's often an "introduction" post that says nothing but "new here."  They need not be revelatory in any way and that group is largely ignored.  It exists in the most part as a spam prevention mechanism.

           I presume all groups have lurkers.  That being said, if someone's so reserved as to not be able to make a one word post to a new member forum this is not a large population.

--
Brian

Sue

>I think this is the best idea, since one-size does not fit all.  My groups
both have open membership but all messages are moderated.

Likewise. My group requires a response from any applicant before we allow them membership and they are then moderator for a period - several messages - before we unmoderate them.  Problems with spam have been few and far between; mainly only when an existing member's email address has been hacked and then the odd spam mail might slip through but we then put that person back on moderator until such time as they sort out the problem.

>Brian's idea of "New Member Introductions" would not work at all in my
health support group, where most folks prefer to anonymously lurk and learn
until they feel comfortable enough to post, if ever.

Delightful though it would be to have everybody contributing to the group, we would have a very small group indeed if this were to be the case. We are also happy to allow long term lurkers.

Sue

Linda

Hi Mark, you wrote: "How about I modify the proposal: All (parent) groups must either be restricted or set to moderated or NuM (or some combination thereof). In each case there's at least one approval step before a member can post."

I think this is the best idea, since one-size does not fit all. My groups both have open membership but all messages are moderated. Spam does not get through, period.

Brian's idea of "New Member Introductions" would not work at all in my health support group, where most folks prefer to anonymously lurk and learn until they feel comfortable enough to post, if ever.

I'm not even sure the members of my travel discussion group would be happy about having to introduce themselves before posting. It's like having to present your passport just to talk about travel. ;-)

Linda

Joseph Hudson <jhud7789@...>

Hey Brian, I think this will work very well especially for groups like mine. Going to discuss it over with my staff as soon as possible.

On Oct 5, 2016, at 3:22 PM, Brian Vogel <britechguy@...> wrote:

I got alerted to this by Joseph Lee, so thought I'd briefly jump back in on beta.

On another forum I participate on we had issues with spam that kept getting worse and worse.  The forum as a whole is unmoderated and the desire was to keep it that way.  What was done there was that a "New Member Introductions" group was created (and I'd suppose the same in the form of subgroup could be used) and new members must post there before posting privileges are opened for any other venue.  This drove spam to as close to zero as I've seen it, and very quickly, since most spam attacks are machine-driven, not done by human hands.

Something akin to that could be implemented here.

--
Brian

David P. Dillard

My praise for a very creative possible solution (if others approve) to this problem. This sounds like a great idea.

Sincerely,
David Dillard
Temple University
(215) 204 - 4584
jwne@temple.edu

On Wed, 5 Oct 2016, Brian Vogel wrote:

[...]

Hi Mark and others,
After reading David's message below and other responses, I think a
compromise solution could be to add an entry to FAQ's or on a similar place
that creating moderated/new user approval list is recommended for certain
types of lists, and it should be up to moderators of various lists to decide
how moderation should be done on their turf. Thus we keep the possibility of
creating open lists, at the same time, telling potential list owners to
think about security in deciding what to do about new members, moderations
and so on by directing them to read a post from you and other moderators on
best practices.
Thanks.
Cheers,
Joseph