locked Reply to group/sender & user names

Reply to group vs reply to sender looks like it's currently only available as a default setting for the group. Can we have it available as a choice for individual emails, both via the group site and also via email? Is that possible to do?

Also, is there an option to have replies go only to list owner and moderators? We use that for one group which only really needs to have minimal volume. Everyone gets the notice and only the people who can assist at that time need to get back to the listowner to confirm their availability.

A separate issue: what's the current character limit on user names? Currently on Wiggio, I can add people and include their full name plus organization they're with so when they post messages, the group can easily identify them. It's important for us to have that as it saves some questions back and forth in our network and cuts down on email volume.

When I add people to Wiggio, I do it in this format
FirstName LastName OrganizationSTATE <email@...>

When they post messages, this comes through in the FROM field of the email:
FirstName LastName OrganizationSTATE <groupname@...>

That's one of the features we really like about Wiggio..

We can't currently reply only to the sender on Wiggio and it's adding unnecessary volume to everyone's in box.

Thanks
Trish

Apologies for getting back to this only now....

On Tue, Jan 27, 2015 at 4:14 AM, pnrfan@... <pnrfan@...> wrote:
Reply to group vs reply to sender looks like it's currently only available as a default setting for the group. Can we have it available as a choice for individual emails, both via the group site and also via email? Is that possible to do?

It's not currently available. I don't know how that'd work via email.

Also, is there an option to have replies go only to list owner and moderators? We use that for one group which only really needs to have minimal volume. Everyone gets the notice and only the people who can assist at that time need to get back to the listowner to confirm their availability.

Good idea. I just added that to the site.

A separate issue: what's the current character limit on user names? Currently on Wiggio, I can add people and include their full name plus organization they're with so when they post messages, the group can easily identify them. It's important for us to have that as it saves some questions back and forth in our network and cuts down on email volume.

Realistically, there's no limit (I mean, there is, but you shouldn't bump into it).

When they post messages, this comes through in the FROM field of the email:
FirstName LastName OrganizationSTATE <groupname@...>

If you invite them like that, and they post from the web site, their messages will come through like that. If they post via email, whatever name their email client is configured to use will come through. I'm guessing, but I don't think people would like us to muck with that.

On 1/30/2015 4:57 PM, Mark Fletcher wrote:

Reply to group vs reply to sender looks like it's currently only
available as a default setting for the group. Can we have it
available as a choice for individual emails, both via the group site
and also via email? Is that possible to do?

It's not currently available. I don't know how that'd work via email.
Going through a *lot* of back mail, and testing every list that
I can find, from email, apparently if the "Reply To" field is
set to go to the poster (which means "Reply" goes to the poster,
not the list), then "Reply All" will include the list if the
list is the "To" field.

This is a ygroup - but I checked other ygroups, and none of
them got more than the list with Reply All.

I do also know that if the poster has set their outgoing
message with "Reply To" filled in, on some lists (LSoft
for sure, and I think Lyris and MailMan) when you set up
the list, you can choose to have all replies go to the
list (override any Reply-To value sent in), always to
the poster (add a Reply-To value of the From value in
all cases), or only insert a Reply-to if the poster has
not set one.

At any rate - if you try inserting a "Reply-To" value in
the headers of messages (as they come in, I suspect) I
think email clients will choose that for Reply, and that
plus 'To' plus 'CC' for Reply All.

I *thought* I remembered a list where Reply went to the
list, but Reply All included the From or Sender. I'm
not finding that in the messages in my inbox at the moment,
though.

Hope this makes sense - not much sleep last night.

dg

On Fri, Jan 30, 2015 at 6:27 PM, CatWoman <diana@...> wrote:
On 1/30/2015 4:57 PM, Mark Fletcher wrote:

    Reply to group vs reply to sender looks like it's currently only
    available as a default setting for the group. Can we have it
    available as a choice for individual emails, both via the group site
    and also via email? Is that possible to do?

It's not currently available. I don't know how that'd work via email.

Going through a *lot* of back mail, and testing every list that
I can find, from email, apparently if the "Reply To" field is
set to go to the poster (which means "Reply" goes to the poster,
not the list), then "Reply All" will include the list if the
list is the "To" field.

Right. So if you want to have your users have the option of (easily) selecting where their reply goes, you should have your group set to Reply to sender. Then, in their mail program, they can decide whether to do a group reply or to the individual.