moderated Wish List

Dave B.

We are struggling with the need for more flexibility in moderation.  We are a condo HOA, with one group for our Board and one group for the unit owners.  We need to keep the Board separate from the unit owners, so email to the board from owners need moderation.  Also, there are sometimes steady streams of email to the board from external contractors.  The load of messages requiring moderation becomes overwhelming.

We tried a subgroup for the Board, but the moderation requirements are no different than for a standalone group.  Any of the following would help us greatly:

  • The ability to whitelist any specific address.  (The moderation approval dialog seems to indicate senders can be unmoderated, but when you select that option, it doesn't work.)
  • If external addresses can't be unmoderated, then the ability to unmoderate senders within Groups.io
  • The ability to allow members of the Main group to write to a subgroup without moderation.
Attention to these requested feature would be greatly appreciated.  Maybe these have been proposed before, but I couldn't find it.
Thanks,
Dave Brown

Bob Bellizzi

I'm sure I posted this before to you;  don't bother with a subgroup, make the Board a separate group.  No cross traffic,  Board Members may be members of both groups
And even unmoderated in both groups or any  of the other 3 binary conditions can apply.
You can always unmoderate senders within any specific group but you can't do it globally among the groups you control and neither can they.

Much of what's currently available in groups.io was never available in Yahoo.

Groups.io has a great deal of flexibility as is.

Whitelisting any specific addfress   I think you need to be more specific.  I would interpret this to mean any subscriber.  As long as the subscriber is valid and unmoderated, they are essentially whitelisted.

--

Bob Bellizzi

Founder, Fuchs Friends ®

Barb M

Agree with Bob. We did the same thing - it seemed logical to have just one group and branch off from there, but it really created more problems for us. It was far easier to just have a totally separate group - that way we could have Settings for the Board (like your external contractor messages) without regard to the "Main Group." One thing I am glad I thought of, though: I named the Board group starting with the word "Board." So instead of being e.g. HOA Board, it's "Board HOA." Starting it with "Board" helped immensely for the Board members to not accidentally send to the main group when they were aiming at Board communication!

Of course, "one size doesn't fit all" which is why Groups is so flexible. You may just have to try out a couple of things to see what works best for your particular group!

Barb

Dave B.

Bob, Barb -- thanks for your thoughts, but I’m not sure you understand our problem.   As recommended by someone else, I posted this message to the Beta group in the hope that some additional flexibility will be added to Groups.io in an upcoming version – consistent with some flexibility that exists in Yahoo Groups and Google Groups.  (Yes, Groups.io has a richness of features that are not found in either Yahoo or Googlegroups, but not in this situation -- from what I can tell.)

Our organization needs to be able to unmoderate mail from outside the group or subgroup.   Either people in the main group can be unmoderated when writing to the subgroup or people writing to the separate Board group.   I could do that in Yahoo and Google Groups, but apparently not in Groups.io.

I've tried having the Board both as a separate group and as a subgroup, and we're stuck either way.  I haven’t been able to unmoderate mail from HOA unit owners into the Board group/subgroup or from outside contractors into the Board group/subgroup.

In Google Groups and Yahoo, I can configure my groups such that if I get a message from someone anywhere outside the group, it will be accepted without moderation.  I can open and close this feature at will.  In years gone by, the moderator for a Google group would get a message requesting moderation for an outside email, and it would include an option to accept further messages from that address without moderation.  I don’t see that now in my Google groups, but a feature like this would be excellent in Groups.io.  (It looks like there's a stub for that feature in the "accept" moderation dialog.)

Dave

Dave wrote:

* The ability to allow members of the Main group to write to a
subgroup without moderation.
I would particularly like to have that one.

Shal