Topics

moderated Database Options


Pamela Tatt
 

Would it be possible to change the options for Add Row to be moved to the top (beginning) of the Databases?

Many of our members are confused by the 'Edit Table' option thinking that is what they click on to add their record.

We have just transferred from Y!G and I have found out that the setting for Editing a Database being restricted to Owners/Moderators only has not transferred and is defaulted to 'Members'.  Suddenly all of the headings in the table are being changed due to members clicking Edit Table rather than Add Row.  They are older people and not always computer savvy so moving the Add Row button to the beginning of the table would be so much easier for them.

Thanks for your consideration,
Pamela


Toby Kraft
 

Pamela,
First, check your permissions on the table.  In general, you probably don't want members to edit the structure of the table.

Then they won't have the Edit Table button at the top (unless they are moderators).

However, I agree that having the action buttons at the top and the data rows scrolling below would be an improvement.
Toby


Pamela Tatt
 

Thanks Toby,
I have now changed all of our databases to this setting for Moderators and Table Owner only to Edit.
I only realised there was a problem when I found out all of our databases transferred from Y!G reverted to Anyone can Edit.
So that is all good.
Just be great if the actions buttons could be moved to the top now :)
Cheers,
Pamela


Drew
 

In the meantime you can put instructions at the top of the table. See attached jpeg.

Drew

On 10/22/18 23:39, Pamela Tatt wrote:
Thanks Toby,
I have now changed all of our databases to this setting for Moderators and Table Owner only to Edit.
I only realised there was a problem when I found out all of our databases transferred from Y!G reverted to Anyone can Edit.
So that is all good.
Just be great if the actions buttons could be moved to the top now :)
Cheers,
Pamela


 

It's a good point, though, that "Edit Table" could easily be misunderstood. Should it be changed to something like "Edit Table Structure" or "Edit Table Properties" or is there some other better way to describe it?

JohnF


 

I agree. Or "edit table layout." Something along those lines.
--
J

Messages are the sole opinion of the author, especially the fishy ones.
My humanity is bound up in yours, for we can only be human together. - Desmond Tutu


 

or "edit table design"


On Tue, Oct 23, 2018 at 7:34 AM J_Catlady <j.olivia.catlady@...> wrote:
I agree. Or "edit table layout." Something along those lines.
--
J

Messages are the sole opinion of the author, especially the fishy ones.
My humanity is bound up in yours, for we can only be human together. - Desmond Tutu


--
J

Messages are the sole opinion of the author, especially the fishy ones.
My humanity is bound up in yours, for we can only be human together. - Desmond Tutu


 

Hi All,

I've changed the button to 'Edit Table Properties'. I'm not sure that moving the buttons to the top of the page would help. But I'm not crazy happy with that entire page as is, so I'm open to ideas.

Thanks,
Mark

On Tue, Oct 23, 2018 at 7:34 AM J_Catlady <j.olivia.catlady@...> wrote:
I agree. Or "edit table layout." Something along those lines.
--
J

Messages are the sole opinion of the author, especially the fishy ones.
My humanity is bound up in yours, for we can only be human together. - Desmond Tutu


 

Not crazy about "table properties," since that seems to refer to things *about* the table rather than to the table design. When I hear "properties," I think of things like size, visibility/accessibility, number of rows and columns, that sort of thing. I think you really mean to refer here to the design of the table rather than to its "properties." But nobody is going to sue you for using that word. ;)

--
J

Messages are the sole opinion of the author, especially the fishy ones.
My humanity is bound up in yours, for we can only be human together. - Desmond Tutu


Gerald Boutin <groupsio@...>
 

On Wed, Oct 24, 2018 at 12:30 AM, Mark Fletcher wrote:
Hi All,
 
I've changed the button to 'Edit Table Properties'. I'm not sure that moving the buttons to the top of the page would help. But I'm not crazy happy with that entire page as is, so I'm open to ideas.
 
Thanks,
Mark

On Tue, Oct 23, 2018 at 7:34 AM J_Catlady <j.olivia.catlady@...> wrote:
I agree. Or "edit table layout." Something along those lines.
--
J

Messages are the sole opinion of the author, especially the fishy ones.
My humanity is bound up in yours, for we can only be human together. - Desmond Tutu

 

 

You might consider arranging the buttons in 3 rows, keeping all like functions in the same row.

Table  > Edit, Export, Delete
Row    > View/Edit, Add, Import, Delete
Column > ID, Col1, Col2,
 


--
Gerald


Toby Kraft
 

I think the show/hide column buttons should be at the top, IMHO.
If you want to see a slick online web database, have a look at Obvibase.
Toby