moderated Starting separate thread on new "email" feature

I think there are some serious problems with this feature. First, the one that has already been mentioned: the feature basically undoes the "disable other reply options" in groups that have that set. My group is set to reply-to-group and has other reply options disabled. But with the email feature, all someone has to do to reply to the sender is click on their profile (assuming they have one) and then on "email."

Second, as Bruce has noted, the email feature can be used to send someone email only if they have their profile set to be accessible to group members, and that is how it should be. However, the converse is not true - that is, there is no possibility for someone to have their profile set to be accessible to group members and NOT make themselves available to anyone who wants to PM them. I am really opposed to this. I dislike getting offlist emails from people and don't want to have to make my profile invisible just in order to avoid it.

So I think some controls are in order: (1) create a way for a group to disable the feature altogether (e.g., as Bruce has suggested, tie it to the directory being visible or not to members); and (2) create an option for an individual member to disable the feature as it applies to others sending them emails.

Ro posted this comment in the updates thread, so I'm adding it here:
"Please install a control for owners,,, over ride group member sending emails from the profile or private."
https://beta.groups.io/g/main/message/18813

I want to add that I consider the PM shutoff option to be urgent. If a shutoff option can't be quickly installed, I am strongly requesting that the feature be turned off entirely for the time being. Thanks for the consideration.

Bob Bellizzi

I echo J's last.
--

Bob Bellizzi

Founder, Fuchs Friends ®

Hello,

I have changed it so that the Email link in a member's group profile is not displayed if the group's member directory is set to something other than "Subscribers".

On Sun, Oct 21, 2018 at 3:38 PM Bob Bellizzi <cdfexec@...> wrote:
I echo J's last.
--

Bob Bellizzi

Founder, Fuchs Friends ®

Mark,

Thank you. That's great.

Would you also consider allowing individual members (in a group with directory viewable by subscribers) to opt out of the email feature, in case they prefer not to be contacted but don't want to make their profile invisible? I think that would be more complicated to implement, since it would require a new subscription setting, and it is not as urgent as the other issue. But I think it would be highly desirable to allow users to control whether or not they can be contacted offlist.

p.s. As a slight enhancement, it might make the most sense to always allow moderators to email group members, even if the directory is not visible to non-mods, and even (in case this is eventually implemented) if the individual has opted out of emails. It can be more convenient than using the "send message" feature.

Bruce Bowman

On Sun, Oct 21, 2018 at 10:18 PM, J_Catlady wrote:
p.s. As a slight enhancement, it might make the most sense to always allow moderators to email group members, even if the directory is not visible to non-mods, and even (in case this is eventually implemented) if the individual has opted out of emails. It can be more convenient than using the "send message" feature.
Can't we already do that via the Members list?

Bruce

On Sun, Oct 21, 2018 at 08:16 PM, Bruce Bowman wrote:
Can't we already do that via the Members list?
Yes, and that's why it doesn't change the functionality to allow it. It just improves convenience.

Mark,

It appears that the email link goes to a page identical to the "send message" page, complete with bcc's for "me" and "all moderators." I'm not sure the bcc to "all moderators" should be there when a subscriber (non-moderator) is sending the message.

Brian Vogel <britechguy@...>

On Sun, Oct 21, 2018 at 10:15 PM, J_Catlady wrote:
Would you also consider allowing individual members (in a group with directory viewable by subscribers) to opt out of the email feature, in case they prefer not to be contacted but don't want to make their profile invisible?
And that's generally an option on most forums with regard to private messaging, whether said private messaging comes via e-mail or an internal messaging system or, as is also often the case, both.  One forum on which I moderate sends e-mail messages indicating that a private message has been received, and with a copy of its contents, but all actual messaging occurs using the built-in messaging mechanism on the site.  That wouldn't make much sense here due to the Groups.io infrastructure.

All give the member the option as to whether or not they wish to be able to be privately messaged.  I'd think in this case all it would require is a "visibility switch" for the e-mail address/button where if the member elects to not receive private messages that just would not show for them.

I agree that this applies only to other regular group members.  Moderators and Owners must always be able to privately message anyone who's a member of a group.

On Mon, Oct 22, 2018 at 07:39 AM, Brian Vogel wrote:
And that's generally an option on most forums with regard to private messaging,
Right. And some, as you know (even the god-awful Facebook!), provide even more granular controls (e.g., which types of individuals are allowed to PM you, etc.).