Topics

moderated Site updates #changelog

Changes to the site this week:

  • NEW: Topics can have a reply to setting that overrides the group's reply to (and any associated hash tags).
  • NEW: Replaced the Reply To Sender Only checkbox on hashtags with a dropdown, allowing you to override the group's reply to setting.
  • NEW: When a subscriber is viewing a member's profile, display the Email button to send them an email.
  • CHANGE: You can now like messages in topics that are closed (matches email behavior now)
  • BUGFIX: Crash fix for database map view when geocoding cannot find a proper lat/long for an address.
  • BUGFIX: Crash fix when exporting event responses.
  • INTERNAL: Updated logrus logging package and fixed the logging when running a web server in development.

Have a good weekend everyone.

Mark

Ro

This really annoys me.  I dont WANT my group settings over ridden!  Why, every time there is a change, do we have to fight and discuss endlessly for there to be a group setting to control this stuff, and allow those group owners who dont want it, to be able to shut it off.   Instead there is endless discussion and back an forth every single time.   Please install a control for owners,,, over ride group member sending emails from the profile or private.

Ro

Hi Ro, I think your group settings won't be over-ridden unless you specifically sent a hashtag accordingly and apply it to a topic. This does not cause any loss of group control. (Caveat: I still haven't read through it for the interactions and the nuances but am planning to do that soon.)

Ro

my post also refers to the email option when clicking on a profile.   I dont have time to read all of beta and all the back and forth that goes on with every change.   I do agree that I dont want to make private emailing easier, and if it IS made easier, then I want a shut off.   If those are not the changes listed, then I will eventually get to the right thread,,, maybe.   Moving, intermittent internet,,, no time for multiple posts or corrections.

Ro

On Sun, Oct 21, 2018 at 11:07 AM, Ro wrote:
Please install a control for owners,,, over ride group member sending emails from the profile or private.
Walking back, since you used the word "override" I assumed you were talking about the topic/hashtag change. I totally agree with you about the control over PMs and even started a separate thread about it.

On Sun, Oct 21, 2018 at 11:21 AM, Ro wrote:
my post also refers to the email option when clicking on a profile.
Yes, posts crossing, I was confused because you used the word "override." I totally agree with you on needing controls over PM'ing.

Ro,

On Sun, Oct 21, 2018 at 11:07 AM Ro <recarlton@...> wrote:
This really annoys me.  I dont WANT my group settings over ridden!  Why, every time there is a change, do we have to fight and discuss endlessly for there to be a group setting to control this stuff, and allow those group owners who dont want it, to be able to shut it off.   Instead there is endless discussion and back an forth every single time.   Please install a control for owners,,, over ride group member sending emails from the profile or private.

The reply-to overrides are only available to people who can otherwise edit a topic and/or edit the settings for a hashtag, ie. owners and moderators.

Mark

Michael Pavan

Yes, Group Owners should be able to control the default setting for their groups, and all options should be available for them to choose among.

I have no need/desire to restrict subscribers/members from communicating privately.

If such an option existed and is chosen as a blanket prohibition, it should be stated (by un-editable default) in the Group’s description (Home).

If done on a Topic by Topic basis, it should be stated in the Message Footer of those Topics (instead of the choice of reply links).

Perhaps all Messages should state what the default reply is.

Changes to the site this week:

• NEW: Topics can have a reply to setting that overrides the group's reply to (and any associated hash tags).
• NEW: Replaced the Reply To Sender Only checkbox on hashtags with a dropdown, allowing you to override the group's reply to setting.
• NEW: When a subscriber is viewing a member's profile, display the Email button to send them an email.

Marina

On Sat, Oct 20, 2018 at 06:32 AM, Mark Fletcher wrote:

Changes to the site this week:

- NEW: Topics can have a reply to setting that overrides the group's reply to
(and any associated hash tags).
In the dropdown menu I see two options which sound similar to me:
Reply to Sender
Reply Only to Sender

What's the difference?

Thank you for all your work, Mark.
Marina

Bruce Bowman

On Wed, Oct 24, 2018 at 04:54 AM, Marina wrote:
In the dropdown menu I see two options which sound similar to me:
Reply to Sender
Reply Only to Sender

What's the difference?
"Reply only to Sender" actively blocks posts in the same thread that subscribers attempt to send back to the group. "Reply to Sender" does not.

(Ref: https://beta.groups.io/g/main/message/18853)

Regards,
Bruce

Marina

On Wed, Oct 24, 2018 at 05:08 PM, Bruce Bowman wrote:

"Reply only to Sender" actively blocks posts in the same thread that
subscribers attempt to send back to the group. "Reply to Sender" does not.
Thank you, Bruce. I must admit that I am still struggling with the concept and trying to figure out the practical use of both options.

Best regards,
Marina

Michael Pavan

"Reply only to Sender" actively blocks posts in the same thread that
subscribers attempt to send back to the group. "Reply to Sender" does not.
I have "Reply to Sender” set as the default in my groups to be informative, not chatty; but it seems some people go out of their way to “Reply to Group” anyway, even though our Message Footer says:
| PLEASE BE CONSIDERATE:
| Replies are set to only go to the original sender, as RSVPs, 'me too's, 'I don't know's, and such rarely need to be sent to everyone.

So I think I like the "Reply Only to Sender” option.
I do wonder if those people will then create a New Topic to get around the "Reply Only to Sender”, which would not only subject the group to their misdirected replies, but also split the ’Topic’ into 2 or more ‘Topics’…

I must admit that I am still struggling with the concept and trying to figure out the practical use of both options.
It depends on the nature of your group "Reply to Sender” and "Reply Only to Sender” could help keep down the ‘noise of chatter’; however if you want everyone’s every thought to be heard, then set your group’s messages to “Reply to Group”.

Bruce Bowman

On Thu, Oct 25, 2018 at 10:03 AM, Marina wrote:
Thank you, Bruce. I must admit that I am still struggling with the concept and trying to figure out the practical use of both options.
I created a hashtag with the "reply only to sender" option that I intend to use for requests for articles for our newsletter. In such a case, I want everyone to know that the newsletter deadline is coming soon but I want actual submissions to come only to me (I edit the newsletter).

Similar needs have arisen in our group in the past so the ability to apply this hashtag is a welcome addition. Both options, of course, put the sender's address (not the group address) in the "reply-to" field of each message header; but only the new "reply only to sender" option (which is not available via a group setting) actually blocks attempts to send to the group.

Further discussion on this should probably either be moved to GMF, or posted to the original thread.

Regards,
Bruce