Topics

moderated Message edit menu missing picture and attach file option

Tom Vail

When I try to edit an existing message from the "More" drop-down to correct a broken link on a picture the add picture and add attachment icons are not available.  (My settings allow pictures and attachments.)

Without them, there seems to be no way to correct a broken link from a picture which did not get added to the email picture folder like the one below.

Am I missing something, or is this by design for some reason?

Peace,
Tom Vail

Ken Kloeber

DITTO on that question?

Can the photo AND file attachment functionality be added to the Edit function?
Not attaching a photo or file is likely one of the key reasons for needing to edit a message.

Thx

This is a different but related(?) issue: I would also like the "reason for edit" line to be editable when the edited message is in pending.

Frances

That would be very useful - to edit a message and add a missing attachment or photo. Or to change the attachment if we made a mistake.

Frances

Ken Kloeber

Frances

There’s valid arguments against being able to do that.

I understand the argument against that, seeing that gio is an email service unlike an online forum. I don’t like it, but I’ve bowed to it because it makes logical sense (so few things do these days, so I’ll sign onto anything that helps preserves that.) LOL!

Bruce Bowman

On Thu, Jul 11, 2019 at 09:38 AM, Ken Kloeber wrote:
I understand the argument against that, seeing that gio is an email service unlike an online forum.
I'm with Ken on this one. The message and attachment has already gone out as emails. Changing an attachment an hour or a day or a year later feels a lot like an attempt to revise history. It seems more straightforward just to send another message with the updated attachment, while deleting the old message from the archive, if you have to.

Regards,
Bruce

dave w

On Fri, Jul 12, 2019 at 05:27 AM, Bruce Bowman wrote:
It seems more straightforward just to send another message
And is a clear indication, for future reference of a positive action taken.
But DO use the original message Subject line; DO NOT change it to some obsequious subject like "Correction" and have no logical path to the original message.
That way they stay related and linked when searched for.
If it was that important in the first place, then do it right!
regards davew

Bruce,

The message and attachment has already gone out as emails. Changing an
attachment an hour or a day or a year later feels a lot like an
attempt to revise history.
That concern is already addressed by the Edit Message mechanism: when a member edits the message it is resent. I suggest that this remain true if that edit includes or consists solely of adding or replacing an attachment or image.

Likewise if a moderator edits a message: the moderator may choose to save without re-sending to the group, but it will be resent to the member who originally posted the message.

Shal

Ken Kloeber

Of course, an obvious fix to this would be a gio group setting so it sends out a notice, or the text of the post w/o any attachments and users have to read the msg/see attachment inline. Then it would act more like a real online forum and not an email service with a “side” web interface (same as Y!, google groups, etc.)

Or, option 2: change to something like simpleforums, which lets you edit attachments and has the option above (and many many more.)