moderated add mod choices "reply and lock topic" or "reply and moderate topic" #suggestion

When I plan to lock or moderate a topic, I usually announce in a reply that I'm doing so, and then I have to rush to do it before someone else can reply. To avoid that, I am suggesting including moderator options "reply and lock" and "reply and moderate" under the "more" menu, thus eliminating the problem.

Chris Jones

On Wed, Oct 10, 2018 at 07:30 PM, J_Catlady wrote:
To avoid that, I am suggesting including moderator options "reply and lock" and "reply and moderate" under the "more" menu, thus eliminating the problem.
IMHO this suggestion has merit, although my own preference would be for the additional capabilities to be provided via additional Reply + Lock & Reply + Moderate buttons beside the existing Reply to Group rather than be selected via the More tab.

Chris

Brian Vogel <britechguy@...>

Wouldn't it just make more sense for group owners or moderators to have permission to reply to any topic, locked or moderated or not, since they are the very folks doing the locking or moderating?

That's how it's handled on another site where I moderate.  Moderators can reply to locked topics and, in fact, get a big red banner telling them they have the ability to reply to locked topics.

That way you can set the status first and add your note afterward (if you want to add one).

On Wed, Oct 10, 2018 at 04:20 PM, Brian Vogel wrote:
Wouldn't it just make more sense for group owners or moderators to have permission to reply to any topic
That's not related to this issue, although I agree with that suggestion as well. This issue is being able to lock or moderate a topic quickly enough, before anybody jumps into the conversation.

Brian Vogel <britechguy@...>

On Wed, Oct 10, 2018 at 08:15 PM, J_Catlady wrote:
That's not related to this issue, although I agree with that suggestion as well. This issue is being able to lock or moderate a topic quickly enough, before anybody jumps into the conversation.
The title of this topic is "reply and . . .".   That directly implies the topic already exists.   Being able to lock same, or impose moderation on same, then retain the ability to add to it as a moderator or owner gives the same end result.

If you're talking about "post initial and lock/moderate" that's a different issue.  But I'd say in way more than 90% of cases if you post a new topic and the next thing you do is lock/moderate it the chances of a "jump in" is very slim indeed (and you can remove it, if necessary).

Yes, that's true. Locking a topic first, and then responding to it as moderator, would have the same effect.

It seems like the other way ("reply and lock") would be much easier to implement, though. I don't know how difficult it would be to make exceptions to locked topics for moderators. I also would not want exceptions for moderators to moderated topics, because I myself want to keep myself on moderation. So in that case, "reply and moderate" would just be very convenient.

Brian Vogel <britechguy@...>

On Wed, Oct 10, 2018 at 09:59 PM, J_Catlady wrote:
It seems like the other way ("reply and lock") would be much easier to implement, though.
Perhaps, I really can't say.  I find the idea of moderators being "superusers," group owners being "super superusers," and Mark (or the site admin) being "God," as far as permissions go, with each level always having set privileges that include the ability to add to any thread under their respective control much easier to implement.  It also seems to me that with increasing responsibility it's implicitly expected that those having it will be more cautious and circumspect in their actions.  I know I am.

It's so interesting how one's own experience shapes how one views this.  As a moderator I do not want to have to "unmoderate" a topic, even momentarily, if I want to post to it myself.  It sounds like you're just the opposite.  I just don't feel any need to keep myself on moderation because I'm the gatekeeper of moderation and am acutely aware of what's moderated.

But, a lot of that also comes from the fact that I use the web interface almost exclusively, where the graphics that come with topics indicating something is moderated or locked are virtually impossible to miss.  If I am replying to a locked or moderated topic it's a very conscious choice.

Brian Vogel <britechguy@...>

I guess I shouldn't say "unmoderate," per se, but even to have to approve my own posts.  It's an extra step I just don't want to have to take.

On Wed, Oct 10, 2018 at 07:21 PM, Brian Vogel wrote:
I just don't feel any need to keep myself on moderation because I'm the gatekeeper of moderation and am acutely aware of what's moderated.
I only do it to give myself a chance to edit my posts.
I agree with you on being aware of the responsibility of being a moderator.
And I, too, use the web interface most of the time. I use email basically only as a preview, and sometimes to respond when I'm out of the house.
But I don't understand what you mean by "if I am replying to a locked or moderated topic..." (emphasis added), because currently you can't respond to a locked topic. I do see another post by you below and will check to see if you amended this there.

On Wed, Oct 10, 2018 at 07:22 PM, Brian Vogel wrote:
even to have to approve my own posts.  It's an extra step I just don't want to have to take.
It just gives me an extra chance to imagine how the intended audience might receive what I've written. I sometimes find off-key notes in a post that way, and can correct them. :)

Brian Vogel <britechguy@...>

On Wed, Oct 10, 2018 at 10:32 PM, J_Catlady wrote:
"if I am replying to a locked or moderated topic..."
I am discussing my experience under the software on the other site on which I moderate.  Moderators may respond to a locked topic and on rare occasion I do.

Even though we could moderate a topic in the manner that term is used here, we do not.  There is never a post-by-post review of any given topic, which is what "moderated topic" means here.

All I'm trying to get at is that, via the software, moderators there do not have any restrictions on the the topics to which they can respond.  That's just a way the software is written (or, perhaps I should say, is written to allow - as I had absolutely nothing to do with the initial setup of that site, so it could be how the site owner and admin elected to use the available options in settings).

Makes sense.

On Oct 10, 2018, at 7:48 PM, Brian Vogel <britechguy@...> wrote:

On Wed, Oct 10, 2018 at 10:32 PM, J_Catlady wrote:
"if I am replying to a locked or moderated topic..."
I am discussing my experience under the software on the other site on which I moderate.  Moderators may respond to a locked topic and on rare occasion I do.

Even though we could moderate a topic in the manner that term is used here, we do not.  There is never a post-by-post review of any given topic, which is what "moderated topic" means here.

All I'm trying to get at is that, via the software, moderators there do not have any restrictions on the the topics to which they can respond.  That's just a way the software is written (or, perhaps I should say, is written to allow - as I had absolutely nothing to do with the initial setup of that site, so it could be how the site owner and admin elected to use the available options in settings).

Michael Pavan

"reply and lock" and "reply and moderate” would still require that Moderator to rush their reply before someone else can reply because the topic has yet to be locked or moderated until the Moderator’s notifying reply has been sent…

Better yet either:
-allow Moderators to not be subject to the lock or moderation;
or
-the lock or moderation begins immediately, but that Moderator is allowed one more reply.

Self-moderation may function as a safe guard for Moderators who post without adequate proof-reading, however if this is desirable why should not everyone get a “Is this really what you want to post” notice as an extra step in the posting process.

On Oct 10, 2018, at 2:30 PM, J_Catlady <j.olivia.catlady@gmail.com> wrote:

When I plan to lock or moderate a topic, I usually announce in a reply that I'm doing so, and then I have to rush to do it before someone else can reply. To avoid that, I am suggesting including moderator options "reply and lock" and "reply and moderate" under the "more" menu, thus eliminating the problem.

I don’t see thst problem. It would happen nearly instantaneously. Letting mods reply to locked topics would be slightly better but seems much harder to implement.

On Oct 10, 2018, at 10:53 PM, Michael Pavan <michaelpavan@comcast.net> wrote:

[...]

dave w

No.
Understand that I read so many of these and create a reply, that I subsequently do not send.

In this case, I'd say the request for this level of automation is unwarranted. I'd say laziness but it's more than that.
Is it that critical that 'instant' suspension of access/ reply to some thread is so urgently manifest, and that 'action' is so important that everyone must be instatly aware?
Do you sit watching every thread on every group every second of the day waiting for a runaway?
Was this activity available under the previous provider? I think not.
Take the easy way out and place the group on moderated, then nothing of a concerning nature will ever get thru.
For a free service, I see far too many demands and far too many attempts at locking down of freedom of people to use the service. What the US likes to refer to as their freedom of speech- when that speech suits others of course.
dave

On Sun, Oct 21, 2018 at 07:25 PM, dave w wrote:
Is it that critical that 'instant' suspension of access/ reply to some thread is so urgently manifest,
Sometimes, for example in the case of someone's sick or dying cat, yes.

Do you sit watching every thread on every group every second of the day waiting for a runaway?
No, but if I did, I'd call that the opposite of lazy.

Was this activity available under the previous provider? I think not.
All the more reason to include it. Let groups.io to continue in its trajectory of being not the same as, but better than, yahoo groups.

For a free service, I see far too many demands
First, I don't think that's your call. Second, these are not demands, they're suggestions and expressions of desire. Third, I'm willing to bet that Mark appreciates feature suggestions here, which is the purpose of the beta group, or one of them. Fourth, I pay for my group. I encourage you, too, to upgrade to premium if you haven't already. :-)

What the US likes to refer to as their freedom of speech- when that speech suits others of course.
I have no idea what you're talking about. This has nothing to do with freedom of speech that I can see, except possibly insofar as you want to deny others here the "freedom" of speech to talk about the features they want. :)

Brian Vogel <britechguy@...>

On Thu, Oct 11, 2018 at 01:53 AM, Michael Pavan wrote:
Better yet either:
-allow Moderators to not be subject to the lock or moderation;
Which is what I said at the outset, and still think is the best idea.  Group Owners or Moderators should not be subject to any of the strictures that can be put on topics since they, themselves, are the ones putting them on.

I have, way more than once, locked a topic immediately prior to adding my reply.  I could see doing the same thing with putting a topic on moderated status and then posting my reply as a moderator/owner.

On Mon, Oct 22, 2018 at 07:43 AM, Brian Vogel wrote:
Which is what I said at the outset, and still think is the best idea.
And I totally agree with that.