locked NEW: Unmoderate After

Hi All,

I just pushed out a new little feature. If your group is set to 'New Users Moderated', there will be an additional option in the group setting page, to set the number of approved posts that triggers the automatic unmoderation of people who were moderated as new users.

Notes:

- This is consecutive approved posts from someone. Reject or delete a post, and the count starts over.
- This required a new post status setting. Previously New Users Moderated just meant that new subscribers were set to 'Override: moderated'. Now, they are set to 'Override: new user moderated'. In all other ways, it acts the same as 'Override: moderated'.
- Since this only acts on members who are 'Override: new user moderated', it won't affect anyone who subscribed before this change (unless you go in and change their post status).
- The default is that this is not enabled. So if you do nothing, nothing will change for you.

I needed this feature with all the new users/traffic on beta@. Hopefully it'll be useful to others as well.

Holler if you have any questions. Also, I am working on the much requested database feature. I hope to have a version comparable to Yahoo's up before I go on vacation Friday.

Trish McDonald

Hi Mark,

I would love the option to be able to enable that as a default!

Please, please, please don't make the database comparable to Yahoo. LOL Theirs is downright annoying to use. I know you can do better than Ya-screwy!

Thanks
Trish

On Wed, Dec 16, 2015 at 7:44 PM, Mark Fletcher <markf@corp.groups.io> wrote:
[...]

Oh, I see you already made that available as a default option for the group. Awesome!

Thanks,
Trish

On Wed, Dec 16, 2015 at 7:51 PM, Trish M <happydogrescue@...> wrote:
[...]

I'm not yet using this feature, but the more I think about it, the more I like the idea. A few questions:

1. Does editing a post also reset the number of approved posts counter?
2. Does the change of status get logged?
3. Is there a way for the owner/moderator to know how many posts remain for a member before the status change occurs?

On Sat, Jan 9, 2016 at 4:39 AM, Duane <txpigeon@...> wrote:
I'm not yet using this feature, but the more I think about it, the more I like the idea.  A few questions:

1.  Does editing a post also reset the number of approved posts counter?

It does not.

2.  Does the change of status get logged?

Yes, as a normal post status changed activity.

3.  Is there a way for the owner/moderator to know how many posts remain for a member before the status change occurs?

Not currently. I could add that. Where should it go?

On Sun, Jan 10, 2016 at 10:15 am, Mark Fletcher <markf@corp.groups.io> wrote:
3. Is there a way for the owner/moderator to know how many posts remain
for a member before the status change occurs?
Not currently. I could add that. Where should it go?
I would suggest putting it in parentheses after the NuM indicator in the members list, like NuM(2) if the member has to post two more messages before becoming unmoderated.

That by itself would cause more people to post, "What does the number in parentheses mean?" So you should also update the tooltip when they hover over the indicator to explain.

Another option would be to show the remaining number when a moderator is approving a post, so that moderator would be aware that the user is going to become unmoderated after this post is approved. Though that makes me wonder, if a user has two posts to make before becoming unmoderated, then posts three messages before a moderator has a chance to act, does that third message go through unmoderated even though the first two are waiting, or does the status only change when the messages are let through by a moderator?

JohnF

Duane

Mark,

I was thinking a -x after the NuM, but (x) as JohnF said also works. Having it so only moderators see it would be my preference, if it's not a lot more work.

(and shame on you for "working" on the weekend! ;>)

Duane

On Sun, Jan 10, 2016 at 11:34 AM, Duane <txpigeon@...> wrote:

I was thinking a -x after the NuM, but (x) as JohnF said also works.  Having it so only moderators see it would be my preference, if it's not a lot more work.

I've just added this. If you have member change privileges (i.e. if the member email addresses are clickable), you'll get the number of approved posts remaining before NuM members are changed to group default.

Cheers,
Mark