Topics

moderated Reply options #suggestion

Tom Vail

When you reply to a message, if the reply settings are set to "Group & Sender" then the reply goes to both.  Although you can click on the "Private" button on the far right and it changes the reply button to "Reply to Sender."

I would like to suggest simplifying the process by eliminating the private button and having 2 reply buttons, "Reply to Group & Sender" and "Reply to Sender," hot when the settings are set to"Group and Sender."  By having the option all the time, it would (okay might) make the sender think "Do I need to send this to the group, or just to the sender?"  Overall it could reduce the number of messages to the entire group, plus allow people to more easily communicate things which do not necessarily need to go to everyone.

It would also be nice if the sending of private messages were recorded in the activity log.  Not the message itself, but just the fact that it was sent.

Peace,
Tom

Gerald Boutin <groupsio@...>

Tom,

I like it the way it is with the two buttons. Typically I see "Reply to Group" and an option to send a private reply to the sender.

On the second point, I am definitely against your suggested change in functionality. The reason I use the Private reply is that I want to send only to the respondent and I do not want others knowing that. Hence, the term "Private".

--
Gerald

Tom,

I would like to suggest simplifying the process by eliminating the
private button and having 2 reply buttons, "Reply to Group & Sender"
and "Reply to Sender," hot when the settings are set to"Group and
Sender."
When the Private Reply (aka Direct Reply, aka Reply to Sender) feature was first implemented in the group's messages section it was done that way, two buttons for the user to choose from.
https://beta.groups.io/g/main/topic/2182742

That raised a problem for some groups with Reply to Group as default: they reported that members were too often mistakenly hitting the wrong button, and a reply would go to the sender rather than the group. Then that replying member would complain about their message not posting. So this extra step and the physical separation was introduced to mitigate that concern.

Shal

Tom Vail

Shal, thanks for the background.  But are you saying that folks don't always think about which button they are clicking?  May it never be!

But since that is reality, I can see the logic and am good with it.  It would be nice if the button was in line with the others on the left so it is more obvious and still require 2 steps.

As to recording the event in the activity log, I was not suggesting the message be recorded, just the fact that the system sent it.  It would only be available to moderators, so still be private to the general membership.  Having the event recorded can help moderators troubleshoot problems.

Peace,
Tom