Topics

locked Applying names to members in the main group- carryover to subgroups.

Mike Fay <mikefay8888@...>

We recently transferred a dozen or so yahoo groups to one main .io group, and then also to a dozen sub-groups corresponding to the original

yahoo groups. I've been spending some times applying names to all the members- through the members tab under admin on the main group.

I was surprised to find that the names I applied did not carryover to the subscriber when you view the members list in any sub-group that they are a part of.

That seems strange to me but maybe it is intentional, or maybe it is a bug. Assuming it is intentional, do any of the rest of you who use subgroups have

any reason why you would not want subscribers names applied to an e-mail address in the main group to also carry over to any subgroups of which that

subscriber is a part ?

Maria

I was under the impression that members need to select their profile/display name not owners for them... What am I missing?

Maria

Sharon Villines

Thank you for all the replies and information on transferring lists.

How do you do subgroups? And what is the advantage?

Sharon
——
Sharon Villines, Washington, DC

“If you haven’t said something that offends someone, you haven’t said anything worth saying.”

Mike Fay <mikefay8888@...>

We are a travel group, and the subgroups are archives from each past trip.  Members of the main group are all part of one or more

subgroups- only the ones for a trip they were involved in. If a member is thinking of someone from a particular trip and wants to get a hold of them,

they can go to the subgroup for that trip and find the person they are thinking of by pics in that subgroup and a database table. But having the names

on the members profile makes it much easier to make sure they are getting to them through a current e-mail address.

On Mon, Aug 29, 2016 at 5:55 AM, HR Tech via Groups.io <m.conway11@...> wrote:

I was under the impression that members need to select their profile/display name not owners for them... What am I missing?

If a member doesn't have Display Name set, a moderator can set it for a specific group. But as Mike points out, this does not apply to any subgroups, so you'd have to go in and manually add that name each time a member joins (or is added) to a subgroup.

This seems like a straightforward change. If a member doesn't have a Display Name set for themselves, but the moderator has set their display name on the main group subscription, carry that over when the member is subscribed to a subgroup. Does that make sense? Am I missing anything?

ro-esp

On Mon, Aug 29, 2016 at 04:59 pm, Mark Fletcher wrote:

If a member doesn't have Display Name set, a moderator can set it for a
specific group. But as Mike points out, this does not apply to any
subgroups, so you'd have to go in and manually add that name each time a
member joins (or is added) to a subgroup.

This seems like a straightforward change. If a member doesn't have a
Display Name set for themselves, but the moderator has set their display
name on the main group subscription, carry that over when the member is
subscribed to a subgroup. Does that make sense?
Makes perfect sense to me. I don't use subgroups myself yet, but I can't imagine why someone would want to use a displayname in a subgroup that's different from the one in the main group.
groetjes, Ronaldo

On Tue, Aug 30, 2016 at 6:16 AM, ro-esp <ro-esp@...> wrote:
On Mon, Aug 29, 2016 at 04:59 pm, Mark Fletcher wrote:

> > If a member doesn't have Display Name set, a moderator can set it for a
> specific group. But as Mike points out, this does not apply to any
> subgroups, so you'd have to go in and manually add that name each time a
> member joins (or is added) to a subgroup.
>
> This seems like a straightforward change. If a member doesn't have a
> Display Name set for themselves, but the moderator has set their display
> name on the main group subscription, carry that over when the member is
> subscribed to a subgroup. Does that make sense?

Makes perfect sense to me. I don't use subgroups myself yet, but I can't imagine why someone would want to use a displayname in a subgroup that's different from the one in the main group.

This is now live.

Cheers,
Mark

Mike Fay <mikefay8888@...>

Great- Thanks Mark I take it the change is in effect moving forward- but that any names that had already been applied will not transfer to the subgroups ?

On Thu, Sep 1, 2016 at 3:42 AM, Mike Fay via Groups.io <mikefay8888@...> wrote:
Great- Thanks Mark I take it the change is in effect moving forward- but that any names that had already been applied will not transfer to the subgroups ?

That's correct.