Topics

locked trimming and e-mail

ro-esp

Hi, I'm new here.

the archive looks pretty "clean", but how does it work in email?  Is there an option to use the traditional interspersing quoting ( http://www.learn.to/quote )? Is there an autotrim-feature like on googlegroups (the only "edge" googlegroups has IMHO), that deletes everything under the last unindented line?

Are messages sorted according to subjectline? does the system assign a new thread to a message that has the subjectline changed?
                                                groetjes, Ronaldo

Cherrill <cdjamieson@...>

if I am understanding this correctly, I would not want anything deleted.  That is up to the group members if that is a rule of the group; which it is in a lot of canine/feline health groups, but isn’t in just chatty groups

Cherrill

On Oct 12, 2014, at 10:34 AM, ro-esp@... wrote:

Hi, I'm new here.

the archive looks pretty "clean", but how does it work in email?  Is there an option to use the traditional interspersing quoting ( http://www.learn.to/quote )? Is there an autotrim-feature like on googlegroups (the only "edge" googlegroups has IMHO), that deletes everything under the last unindented line?

Are messages sorted according to subjectline? does the system assign a new thread to a message that has the subjectline changed?
                                                groetjes, Ronaldo

Hi Ronaldo,

Figuring out what's quoted and what isn't is a very tricky thing to do programmatically, because there are so many different ways of indicating quoting. What we try to do right now is only collapse a quoted part of a message if there's only one quoted part of the message, and if the quoted part falls at the end of the message. It's more tricky if it's an HTML message, and we're not as good at it as I'd like, but that's the goal.

Mark

On Sun, Oct 12, 2014 at 9:34 AM, <ro-esp@...> wrote:
Hi, I'm new here.

the archive looks pretty "clean", but how does it work in email?  Is there an option to use the traditional interspersing quoting ( http://www.learn.to/quote )? Is there an autotrim-feature like on googlegroups (the only "edge" googlegroups has IMHO), that deletes everything under the last unindented line?

Are messages sorted according to subjectline? does the system assign a new thread to a message that has the subjectline changed?
                                                groetjes, Ronaldo

Cherrill,

Ronaldo was just asking about how the messages are displayed in the archives. We don't delete anything. And the quoted parts are just collapsed (not shown). You can click a button and they'll show up. It's just to try to make the archives easier to read.

Hope this helps.
Mark

On Sun, Oct 12, 2014 at 9:48 AM, Cherrill <cdjamieson@...> wrote:
if I am understanding this correctly, I would not want anything deleted.  That is up to the group members if that is a rule of the group; which it is in a lot of canine/feline health groups, but isn’t in just chatty groups

Cherrill

On Oct 12, 2014, at 10:34 AM, ro-esp@... wrote:

Hi, I'm new here.

the archive looks pretty "clean", but how does it work in email?  Is there an option to use the traditional interspersing quoting ( http://www.learn.to/quote )? Is there an autotrim-feature like on googlegroups (the only "edge" googlegroups has IMHO), that deletes everything under the last unindented line?

Are messages sorted according to subjectline? does the system assign a new thread to a message that has the subjectline changed?
                                                groetjes, Ronaldo

Cherrill <cdjamieson@...>

okay, sorry for all the questions.
so many of the emails are totally foreign to me; I have no idea what most of the words mean, but I guess I will learn.   My groups are mostly just fun stuff.
Cherrill

On Oct 12, 2014, at 10:58 AM, Mark Fletcher <markf@corp.groups.io> wrote:

[...]

No problem at all! If you come across terms you don't know or have suggestions for how we can make the site easier to understand, please say so. I'll be the first to admit that there's a lot that can be done to make the site easier to understand.

On Sun, Oct 12, 2014 at 10:01 AM, Cherrill <cdjamieson@...> wrote:
[...]

oh good, I thought you were sort of hoping I would just go back to getting the turkey ready for the oven and shut up, lol,
hopefully by the end of the day I will have our group opened and then I may have more questions.
thanks
Cherrill
I've learned that being kind is more important than being right.

On Oct 12, 2014, at 11:27 AM, Mark Fletcher <markf@corp.groups.io> wrote:

[...]

Laurence Taylor

On 12/10/2014 17:57, Mark Fletcher wrote:
Hi Ronaldo,

Figuring out what's quoted and what isn't is a very tricky thing to do
programmatically, because there are so many different ways of indicating
quoting. What we try to do right now is only collapse a quoted part of a
message if there's only one quoted part of the message, and if the quoted
part falls at the end of the message. It's more tricky if it's an HTML
message, and we're not as good at it as I'd like, but that's the goal.
On that subject, is it possible to send plain text messages (no MIME
codes, no odd symbles, just good old 7-bit, like this one is) and have
them pass through unmolested?

Also, what happens if someone sends something written in HTML? Does your
system try to extract the text, or is it left up to the recipient's mail
reader?

--
rgds
LAurence

Laurence,

Plain text emails are passed through unmodified, except for the addition of the message footer. In addition, you can set your group for plain text only, which means that any HTML messages will be converted to plain text (if they contain a plain text part, that will be used, otherwise the HTML will be converted to plain text). If the group is not set to plain text only, HTML messages are sent through unconverted.

Mark

On Mon, Oct 13, 2014 at 5:58 AM, Laurence Taylor <g7mzh@...> wrote:
On 12/10/2014 17:57, Mark Fletcher wrote:
> Hi Ronaldo,
>
> Figuring out what's quoted and what isn't is a very tricky thing to do
> programmatically, because there are so many different ways of indicating
> quoting. What we try to do right now is only collapse a quoted part of a
> message if there's only one quoted part of the message, and if the quoted
> part falls at the end of the message. It's more tricky if it's an HTML
> message, and we're not as good at it as I'd like, but that's the goal.

On that subject, is it possible to send plain text messages (no MIME
codes, no odd symbles, just good old 7-bit, like this one is) and have
them pass through unmolested?

Also, what happens if someone sends something written in HTML? Does your
system try to extract the text, or is it left up to the recipient's mail
reader?

--
rgds
LAurence

ro-esp

cdjamieson@... sendis:

if I am understanding this correctly,
I'm not quite sure you do :-)

I would not want anything deleted. That is up to the group members if that is a rule of the group; which it is in a lot of canine/feline health groups, but isn't in just chatty groups
I'm not interested in chatty groups, I'm talking discussion-type groups. In those you NEED to be able to quote the pieces you're commenting, and put your comments below them. Being able to read the previous message afterwards won't do.

Of course quoting and trimming customs vary from group to group, but lots of people hate it when all previous messages in a thread are sent along (=TOFU).
An autotrim-option would mean you never have to remind people to not send along superfluous pieces of quote. If you want nothing to be deleted, all you have to do is type something BELOW what you want quoted.
I've found that this custom prevents a lot of (unnecesary) replies to things that weren't said, but merely misremembered.

As to different ways of quoting , I'm fine with what I call(ed) TRADITIONAL quoting, like the pioneers in "usenet" had even before I sent my first e-mail. With a > for every time it's been quoted

As to HTML. What would I (or any EMAIL-list) need that for? [Yes, I am a bit of a "dinosaur" :-)]

groetjes, Ronaldo

On Oct 12, 2014, at 10:34 AM, ro-esp@... wrote:

Hi, I'm new here.

the archive looks pretty "clean", but how does it work in email? Is there an option to use the traditional interspersing quoting ( http://www.learn.to/quote )? Is there an autotrim-feature like on googlegroups (the only "edge" googlegroups has IMHO), that deletes everything under the last unindented line?

Are messages sorted according to subjectline? does the system assign a new thread to a message that has the subjectline changed?
groetjes, Ronaldo
_._,_._,_
Groups.io Links:

Mute This Thread
Change Your Subscription
Unsubscribe From This Group
Group Home
Terms Of Service
_._,_._,_

--
http://www.esperanto.net http://www.moneyasdebt.net

Cherrill <cdjamieson@...>

yes, thanks Ronaldo,
I am not familiar with most of the technical terms unfortunately and Mark did explain to me what you were referring to.
Cherrill

cdjamieson@...  sendis:

On 13/10/2014 16:34, Mark Fletcher wrote:
Laurence,

Plain text emails are passed through unmodified, except for the addition of
the message footer. In addition, you can set your group for plain text
only, which means that any HTML messages will be converted to plain text
(if they contain a plain text part, that will be used, otherwise the HTML
will be converted to plain text). If the group is not set to plain text
only, HTML messages are sent through unconverted.
EXcellent, thank you!

--
rgds
LAurence