Topics

moderated Changing attachment size in a gruoup does not change settings for existing members

YT9TP - Pedja

I noticed that group had attachment limit set to unlimited, and of course one user managed to send very large attachment to the group.

I changed setting to limit to reasonable attachment size for the group but I notice that for users setting is still set to unlimited.

Is that a bug or group setting would override member setting?

The member setting limits the size of attachments they want to receive. The group setting limits the size of attachments they can send.

Bruce Bowman

On Sat, Sep 22, 2018 at 01:36 AM, YT9TP - Pedja wrote:
I noticed that group had attachment limit set to unlimited, and of course one user managed to send very large attachment to the group.

I changed setting to limit to reasonable attachment size for the group but I notice that for users setting is still set to unlimited.

Is that a bug or group setting would override member setting?
Default Sub Settings are applied only to new subscribers, and can subsequently be overridden in their individual Subscription. On that basis, it's appropriate that your recent change should not affect existing subscriptions.

Also, this setting is not what you think it is. It affects only the size of attachments that will be relayed to that subscriber via email. There is no setting to limit the size of an attachment your group will accept. If you want something like that you will have to moderate messages containing attachments and reject those manually (see Admin>Settings>Message Formatting>Attachments>Moderate).

A setting that does what you expected this to do is not a bad idea. But questions like this are best posted to GMF first...after an appropriate vetting period you can subsequently send it here as a feature request.

Hope this helps,
Bruce

Since messages can be rejected based on too large of an attachment, I think, unless I totally misunderstand, that the group setting does limit the attachment size the group will accept.

But agree that this is not a subject for beta.

On Sat, Sep 22, 2018 at 11:34 AM, J_Catlady wrote:
Since messages can be rejected based on too large of an attachment...
They can't.

Bruce

This is not a bug. You may be misunderstanding the settings available. Take this to Group Manager's Forum https://groups.io/g/GroupManagersForum and we can discuss it there.
Dano

I noticed that group had attachment limit set to unlimited, and of course one user managed to send very large attachment to the group.

I changed setting to limit to reasonable attachment size for the group but I notice that for users setting is still set to unlimited.

Is that a bug or group setting would override member setting?

Photo attachments can be limited by resampling. Go to Settings > Photos > Max Size In Email and set to "Automatically resize photos that are larger than a specific size in emails." There is an option to select a maximum resample size.

Dano

On Sat, Sep 22, 2018 at 11:34 AM, J_Catlady wrote:

Since messages can be rejected based on too large of an attachment...

They can't.

Bruce

Right. That’s what I had in mind in thinking ‘attachments.’ You and Bruce are correct.

On Sep 22, 2018, at 10:10 AM, D R Stinson <@steeplecab> wrote:

Photo attachments can be limited by resampling. Go to Settings > Photos > Max Size In Email and set to "Automatically resize photos that are larger than a specific size in emails." There is an option to select a maximum resample size.

Dano

On Sat, Sep 22, 2018 at 11:34 AM, J_Catlady wrote:

Since messages can be rejected based on too large of an attachment...

They can't.

Bruce

YT9TP - Pedja

Default Sub Settings are applied only to new subscribers, and can subsequently be overridden in their individual Subscription.
On that basis, it's appropriate that your recent change should not affect existing subscriptions.
Ok, it is clear now. I admit i did not thoroughly look for option description as I assumed that it limits size of incoming messages not outgoing.

There is no setting to limit the size of an attachment your group will accept.
I am very surprised to hear that. I have posted message to GMF to ask people to support request that such option is added. Turning moderation just for case that someone might go south and send attachment bomb to the group is not practilcal.

Bruce Bowman

On Sat, Sep 22, 2018 at 01:10 PM, D R Stinson wrote:
Photo attachments can be limited by resampling. Go to Settings > Photos > Max Size In Email and set to "Automatically resize photos that are larger than a specific size in emails." There is an option to select a maximum resample size.
Yes, but this is not the same as limiting the size of the attachment in MB. It does nothing to attachments that are not images. And an uncompressed TIFF file can be pretty big even after it's been rescaled. Ask me how I know.

Bruce