Topics

moderated Settings, Preferences, Etc. #suggestion

Brian Vogel <britechguy@...>

The recent discussion regarding the footer variations has driven home for me, again, just how "spread out"/disjoint the various preferences and settings for Groups.io are.

I realize that some of this cannot be changed due to the hybrid nature of the Groups.io e-mail/web forum setup.  What would be helpful, though, is a bit of, "If you're looking for," location pointer text on the various preferences/settings pages.  A good example of this is for the the format one wishes to send messages in.  This is found on the following webpage (I'm assuming one is logged in), https://groups.io/account?page=prefs, but I could not find that again to save my life until Lena mentioned it.  On that page the preference in relation to this is listed as "Post Preference," which I also think is not precisely clear as far as e-mail participants are concerned.  A label such as, "Send/Post messages in the following format," with the HTML/Markdown/Plain Text choices would be much clearer.

It would be helpful, if on the Group Subscription page, there were a one line note along the line of, "For additional settings related to posting/e-mailing messages, see your Account Preferences page."  Similar notes, as appropriate to the settings page in question, pointing people to the "other pages" where controls related to the category they're dealing with on the current page are located would be useful as well.  I had forgotten entirely about the checkbox for, "I always want copies of my own messages," that's on the Account Preferences page (and only really applies to the e-mail interface, so it might start with, "If participating by e-mail."  Someone on a group I participate in was asking why they didn't receive a copy of their own messages (which I found strange, as I certainly don't need a copy coming in to my inbox of my own material) but I had no recollection of this setting at all.

Hi Brian,

On Thu, Sep 20, 2018 at 7:42 AM Brian Vogel <britechguy@...> wrote:

I realize that some of this cannot be changed due to the hybrid nature of the Groups.io e-mail/web forum setup.  What would be helpful, though, is a bit of, "If you're looking for," location pointer text on the various preferences/settings pages.  A good example of this is for the the format one wishes to send messages in.  This is found on the following webpage (I'm assuming one is logged in), https://groups.io/account?page=prefs, but I could not find that again to save my life until Lena mentioned it.  On that page the preference in relation to this is listed as "Post Preference," which I also think is not precisely clear as far as e-mail participants are concerned.  A label such as, "Send/Post messages in the following format," with the HTML/Markdown/Plain Text choices would be much clearer.

I hadn't thought the wording was unclear, but now I see it definitely was. I've gone through the accounts pages, the subscription page and the member page (when a owner/mod views someone's subscription). I've tried to make the text more clear and I've added a bunch of panels to group things better as well. I have not yet added a pointer from the subscription page to the accounts pages, but I'm thinking about it.

Michael Pavan

Changing the wording of “Post Preference” to "Editor Preference” and "Which editor to use for composing messages on the website." is less clear.
I have to agree that
| A label such as, "Send/Post messages in the following format," with the HTML/Markdown/Plain Text choices would be much clearer.

Plus, some explanation of how each choice will affect Message Footers would be helpful…

On Sep 21, 2018, at 1:20 PM, Mark Fletcher <markf@corp.groups.io> wrote:

Hi Brian,

On Thu, Sep 20, 2018 at 7:42 AM Brian Vogel <britechguy@gmail.com> wrote:

[...]

Brian,

A good example of this is for the the format one wishes to send
messages in.
That one in particular I wish was also in the formatting toolbar above the message composition box, as an ad hoc override to the default one sets in one's account preferences.

On that page the preference in relation to this is listed as "Post
Preference," which I also think is not precisely clear as far as
e-mail participants are concerned.
It has no effect on email posting. It is only for the on-site composition pages (including Wiki as well as messages).

Shal