Topics

moderated send user copy of web-posted message if moderated #suggestion

I just composed and sent a message to a moderated thread here, and realized that since I won't see it until it is approved (and will never see it if is not approved), I've lost what I've sent. It would be convenient to somehow(?) email users a copy of their moderated message when sent by web rather than email, similarly to how moderators get an emailed copy of a pending message.

Toby Kraft

That's a good idea. Thanks.

Michael Pavan

I just composed and sent a message to a moderated thread here, and realized that since I won't see it until it is approved (and will never see it if is not approved), I've lost what I've sent. It would be convenient to somehow(?) email users a copy of their moderated message when sent by web rather than email, similarly to how moderators get an emailed copy of a pending message.
I have my email set (with Mac’s Mail) to automatically BCC me on all the messages I sent, not just to Groups.io

Yes, when Groups.io send me my post I have two copies in my inbox, but they are threaded in the same conversation so it is easy to delete my original ‘Sent’ copy.

Unfortunately, not all online forms that I fill out (or send a message from) have the option for me to receive a copy. I wish they did, that would be user-friendly.

On Tue, Sep 11, 2018 at 10:38 AM, Michael Pavan wrote:
I have my email set (with Mac’s Mail) to automatically BCC me on all the messages I sent,
I'm talking about when someone posts from the web. When you post via email, you already have the message in your "sent" folder anyway.

Michael Pavan

That’s why I wrote:
Unfortunately, not all online forms that I fill out (or send a message from) have the option for me to receive a copy. I wish they did, that would be user-friendly.

(Posting from the web = sending a message from an online form)

J,

It would be convenient to somehow(?) email users a copy of their moderated message when sent by web rather than email, similarly to how moderators get an emailed copy of a pending message.

I like that idea. Private replies already have the BCC Me checkbox, regular replies could too.

Or are you thinking it should be sent automatically if the message will be moderated? Perhaps it could be checked by default in that case.

Shal

Shal,
I was thinking more along the lines of the bcc. However, I also see advantages to having it be automatic, especially in an unmoderated group. In the case today, I hadn’t noticed the thread was moderated and would not have thought to check a bcc me box.

On Sep 11, 2018, at 10:51 AM, Shal Farley <shals2nd@...> wrote:

J,

It would be convenient to somehow(?) email users a copy of their moderated message when sent by web rather than email, similarly to how moderators get an emailed copy of a pending message.

I like that idea. Private replies already have the BCC Me checkbox, regular replies could too.

Or are you thinking it should be sent automatically if the message will be moderated? Perhaps it could be checked by default in that case.

Shal

Michael, yes, I realized that belatedly. 😊

On Tue, Sep 11, 2018 at 10:51 AM, Shal Farley wrote:
Perhaps it could be checked by default in that case.
Shal, I think that's the best of both worlds. Provide the box and check it automatically by default (the person could still uncheck it) if the person, thread, or group is moderated.

Linda

Both of my groups are actively moderated. Considering that you are requesting this for web-posters, who typically do not prefer email, this would be all right ONLY if members could opt-out of the extra mail.

Linda

Michael Pavan

Considering that you are requesting this for web-posters, who typically do not prefer email, this would be all right ONLY if members could opt-out of the extra mail.
Perhaps web-posters would have a web copy, or the choice of email and/or web copy.
It could be threaded within the Topic (only that poster could see it).
It should be up to that poster whether or not to ever delete it from their view of the Topic.

Perhaps email-posters would get an email copy, or the choice of web and/or email copy.
Again with the ‘delete from web thread’ options.

Or should web-posts (and probably email-posts) be archived in a separate Post Archive section for each Group of each Subscriber/Member?

Seems like a lot of redundancy to me, but maybe it isn’t a big deal to do…

Linda,

Both of my groups are actively moderated. Considering that you are requesting this for web-posters, who typically do not prefer email, this would be all right ONLY if members could opt-out of the extra mail.

Hmm... So maybe the default state of that checkbox should be be "On" only if the member is Individual Messages AND the message would be moderated (for any cause). This may be starting to get a little overelaborate.

Shal

Shal, I don’t see it as overelaborate but I do see it as potentially confusing to users if the box appears and disappears without their knowing why. Maybe the default should just be unchecked no matter what and let users decide each time.

On Sep 11, 2018, at 3:06 PM, Shal Farley <shals2nd@...> wrote:

Linda,

Both of my groups are actively moderated. Considering that you are requesting this for web-posters, who typically do not prefer email, this would be all right ONLY if members could opt-out of the extra mail.

Hmm... So maybe the default state of that checkbox should be be "On" only if the member is Individual Messages AND the message would be moderated (for any cause). This may be starting to get a little overelaborate.

Shal

J,

Shal, I don’t see it as overelaborate but I do see it as potentially confusing to users if the box appears and disappears without their knowing why.

Eeep. Pardon my poor choice of words.

I meant that the default state should be checked or not, the box should always appear.

Shal

My poor choice of words as well. I meant the box should either always be checked as the default or always unchecked as the default.

On Sep 11, 2018, at 3:34 PM, Shal Farley <shals2nd@...> wrote:

J,

Shal, I don’t see it as overelaborate but I do see it as potentially confusing to users if the box appears and disappears without their knowing why.

Eeep. Pardon my poor choice of words.

I meant that the default state should be checked or not, the box should always appear.

Shal

ro-esp

On Tue, Sep 11, 2018 at 05:17 PM, J_Catlady wrote:

It would be convenient to somehow(?)
email users a copy of their moderated message when sent by web rather than
email
Regardless of how it is sent, the author of a message that was *modified* by a moderator should get that *modified* message in his/her inbox - even if (s)he is on "nomail". I would call that "decent" rather than "convenient".

Or am I missing/misinterpreting something here?

groetjes, Ronaldo

On Wed, Sep 12, 2018 at 01:34 PM, ro-esp wrote:
the author of a message that was *modified* by a moderator should get that *modified* message in his/her inbox
I agree but I think that's a separate issue. The issue here is I think the author of a message should have a copy of what he or she submitted. Not a copy of the approved message (if and when approved).

I agree with you that authors should also receive a copy of an edited message once approved, but I would put that together with the fact that currently, members receive emailed copies of an edited message that was previously approved. It has always struck me as odd that members receive an edit notification of an already existing message, but not a copy of an edit to a message that is currently going through the approval process. The latter does seem less important, since they will see the posted message (if they're using the web) and/or the emailed message (if they're using email). But it seems like a courtesy to notify them of any changes made. In most cases, I've seen the mods do this anyway, within the message (e.g. "mod edit: trailing post removed" etc.), but it's currently totally up to the mods whether to do that or not.