Topics

locked A review of Groups.io

Hi Mark,

I've edited the post. What I meant to say is that was that there aren't many public groups yet. So, it's not like Google Groups or Yahoo Groups or Reddit which already have functioning ecosystems.

In regards to sharing discussions, the idea was that you'd be able to share discussions from any group.

Basic version: Users see an interesting post in a public group and click share. A list of these posts appear on the user's profile. You can subscribe to these posts via RSS or email.
Advanced version: Users gain the ability to follow other users and have the posts of users they follow appear in a newsfeed.

An alternative to this would be provide an activity feed (like Reddit or Quora does). Unfortunately, a stream of all of a persons activity is much less likely to be interesting than a stream of content that they have curated personally.

This feature wouldn't provide any value now. It would only become valuable once there is a healthy ecosystem of groups.

-Chris

Chris,

This is fantastic, thank you so much for your review! One quick question: you mention lack of public groups as a weakness. Are you referring to groups where non-members can post to, or are you referring to something else?

I am intrigued by your idea of being able to share interesting discussions. Were you thinking that it'd be just within a group, or would this be a feed of interesting discussions taking place over many groups?

On Sat, Oct 11, 2014 at 6:14 AM, <walkraft@...> wrote:
Hi Mark,

I really like your service, so I just wrote up a review.

https://medium.com/a-future-together/groups-io-a-modern-take-on-google-groups-83dd0a007b84

In terms of suggestions:

Discovery mechanisms are key to enabling groups to form. Featured groups could be useful during the initial growth period since searching is less likely to be useful. Tags aren’t needed right now, but they will become vital once this site reaches a certain size.

Integrations have been a huge missed opportunity for other products such as Google Groups and Facebook Groups. There are so many tools such as calendars, wikis, polls and photo albums that would benefit from being shared as a group. An API would unleash innumerable collaborative possibilities.

Google groups, Reddit and StackOverflow allow you to star messages and threads. This helps you find that perfect answer that you saw at 2am five months ago, but which you need now.
Member profiles would bring people in a group together by allowing them to get to know each other better. It would also cut down on drama by making them feel more like real people. Furthermore, this could provide a useful discovery mechanism for finding other groups.

It’d be nice if users had a feed for sharing the most interesting discussions that they’d seen recently. This could eventually provide an even better distribution method than groups themselves.