Sent: Friday, January 30, 2015 9:48 PM
To: beta@groups.io
Subject: Re: [beta] Re: New Subscription Options

On 26 Jan 2015 15:04, robertgmam@yahoo.co.uk wrote:

_._,_._,_
KKT?

What?

Robert.
The symbols that appeared at the bottom of your post formed the letters KKT in Morse.

They seem to be something produced by Groups IO; they only appear occasionally and on posts from various people.

Both K and T are used at the end of an "over", i.e., as an invitation to transmit.

73 DE G7MZH :)

--
rgds
LAurence
<><

Laurence,

_._,_._,_
The symbols that appeared at the bottom of your post formed the
letters KKT in Morse.
I don't know if that choice of characters had anything to do with Morse code or not, but something similar[1] has long been used in Yahoo Groups' outbound messages as a delimiter for the footer material in HTML formatted messages. They are styled as white text on white so that they are not normally seen.

They provide something that can be automatically detected and trimmed on inbound messages; so that when members reply with full untrimmed quotes the footers don't stack up. Apparently Groups.io uses them too, which is probably no big surprise. In plain text messages Groups.io has a pair of rows of hypens and equal signs, probably put to the same purpose.

The only mystery might be how they came to be visible in someone's post. That may have to do with a conversion between HTML and plain text somewhere.

-- Shal
[1] In Yahoo Groups the lead-in and lead-out sequences have dot and comma exchanged:
__._,_.___
.... footer ...
__,_._,___

I wish I hadn't asked now!

Robert.

-----Original Message-----
From: Laurence Taylor Sent: Friday, January 30, 2015 9:48 PM To: beta@groups.io Subject: Re: [beta] Re: New Subscription Options

_._,_._,_
KKT?
What?

Robert.
The symbols that appeared at the bottom of your post formed the letters
KKT in Morse.

They seem to be something produced by Groups IO; they only appear
occasionally and on posts from various people.

Both K and T are used at the end of an "over", i.e., as an invitation to
transmit.

--
rgds
LAurence
<><

Laurence Taylor

_._,_._,_
KKT?

What?

Robert.
The symbols that appeared at the bottom of your post formed the letters
KKT in Morse.

They seem to be something produced by Groups IO; they only appear
occasionally and on posts from various people.

Both K and T are used at the end of an "over", i.e., as an invitation to
transmit.

--
rgds
LAurence
<><

You and me both then, Judy!

Robert.

Sent from my BlackBerry 10 smartphone on the O2 network.
  Original Message  
Sent: Tuesday, 27 January 2015 02:14
Reply To: beta@groups.io
Subject: RE: [beta] Re: New Subscription Options

Maybe I'm out of the loop, but what does KKT mean?

Judy F.
SW Florida - USA

Sent: Saturday, January 24, 2015 5:57 PM

On 23/01/2015 09:52, robertgmam@yahoo.co.uk wrote:

_._,_._,_
KKT?

--
rgds
LAurence
<><

Judy F.

Maybe I'm out of the loop, but what does KKT mean?

Judy F.
SW Florida - USA

Sent: Saturday, January 24, 2015 5:57 PM

_._,_._,_
KKT?

--
rgds
LAurence
<><

What?

Robert.

From: Laurence Taylor Sent: Saturday, January 24, 2015 10:57 PM To: beta@groups.io Subject: Re: [beta] Re: New Subscription Options

_._,_._,_
KKT?

--
rgds
LAurence
<><

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

Laurence Taylor

_._,_._,_
KKT?

--
rgds
LAurence
<><

Mark,

So, if in Message Selection, I have All Messages checked, you think
that I should also be able to check Auto Follow Replies. The reasons
being: if I've muted a hashtag, I'll still want to see any threads
with that hashtag that I've replied in. Also, it's a way to quickly
see on the web which threads I've participated in, by just looking at
the Followed Threads tab. Is that correct?
Correct. It also supports Brenda's use case of collecting all messages in email (as a personal archive) but using the web features (Inbox, Followed Threads) for day-to-day reading.

... and made the whole Message Selection area a collapsed advanced
options area. Let me know what you think.
I like that a lot better than having an option hiding somewhere in one's profile, or worse in the group's settings.

Another idea, rather than the Advanced Options opener, might be to insert a block of introductory text as the first element in Message Selection, above the All Messages selection. You could use it to promote the feature while simultaneously labeling it as advanced. For example:

"This is an advanced feature unique to Groups.io but modeled on web-based forums. With this option you can limit your email traffic to just the topic threads or subject #Hashtags you are interested in. Leave this set to the default, "All Messages", if you prefer standard mailing list behavior."

-- Shal

Shal,

On Thu, Jan 22, 2015 at 5:50 PM, Shal Farley <shal@...> wrote:

I think the concept of distinct exclude and include modes of operation is an unnecessary conceptual complication. And I still think that "Auto Follow Replies" usefully applies also to web-only readers (and hence doesn't belong in a Message Selection option, which I claim ought to be only for email).

Trying to wrap my head around things. Let me see if I have it correct: So, if in Message Selection, I have All Messages checked, you think that I should also be able to check Auto Follow Replies. The reasons being: if I've muted a hashtag, I'll still want to see any threads with that hashtag that I've replied in. Also, it's a way to quickly see on the web which threads I've participated in, by just looking at the Followed Threads tab. Is that correct?

I've updated https://groups.io/static/newsubpage , breaking out auto follow replies into it's own thing, and made the whole Message Selection area a collapsed advanced options area. Let me know what you think.

Thanks,
Mark

I'm with Brenda on this. If truth be told, all we really need (emphasis on need as opposed to nice to have) is what we had under Yahoo Classic Groups.

Robert
Sent from my BlackBerry 10 smartphone on the O2 network.
Sent: Friday, 23 January 2015 03:41
Reply To: beta@groups.io
Subject: [beta] Re: New Subscription Options

Shal....

I'm really struggling to understand any of these descriptions. And if I can't understand them, many Yahoo Groups users won't either.

So I have a suggestion:

Give us simple options and advanced options.

Under simple options, use these concepts:

Individual messages
Daily Digest
Special Notices
No Mail

Under Advanced options:

The things you and Mark are describing about muted and followed stuff. That way, people like me who want to collect the messages in e-mail, but read them live on the site, can do it simply, and easily.

I had to have John read both Mark's post and yours on this, and still don't completely understand them. There needs to be a simplified manner, at least at first. Then maybe a help page somewhere to further explain the advanced options.

Brenda

Nightowl >8#

Shal wrote:>>Brenda, That's what I'm trying to do.

Individual messages
Daily Digest
Special Notices
No Mail<<

Ah, sorry, I wasn't grasping that it was two different things. But it does help that the owners and moderators can change mail delivery options for members, because that is something we often have to do when they can't figure out what they want, or it somehow gets changed to something else.

Thanks, Shal.

JohnF,

It's easier to understand that if you don't normally receive mail, but
there are a few types of message that you do want to receive in mail,
you Follow.
Precisely. You select "Following Only" and follow what you want.

In your choice of Individual or Digest (or Special Notices or No Email if you want to turn them off, say while you're on vacation).

If you normally receive mail, but there are a few types of messages that
you don't want, you Mute.
Precisely. You select "All Messages" and you mute what you don't want.

Same delivery options.

-- Shal

Frances,

But I really don't want to lose the possibility of First Message Only.
Easy.

Select "Following Only" then check "First Message Also". Then if you don't explicitly follow any threads or hashtags you'll get only the first message of every thread.

-- Shal

Brenda,

Give us simple options and advanced options.
That's what I'm trying to do.

Individual messages
Daily Digest
Special Notices
No Mail
Got that, it isn't called "simple options", but those are the "Email Delivery" options on Mark's mock-up:
https://groups.io/static/newsubpage

If you adjust only that Option, leaving the other set to the default "All Messages", then you get the simple, Yahoo Groups-like behavior (assuming you don't mute any threads).

Under Advanced options:

The things you and Mark are describing about muted and followed stuff.
Exactly. Those are under "Message Selection".

The "Message Selection" options work subordinate to the "Email Delivery" options. Even if you use the Follow and Mute controls to limit the messages you receive, you receive them Individually, in a daily Digest, or not at all according to your Email Delivery selection.

-- Shal

Nightowl >8#

Frances wrote:>>However, I now see that Mark has put in a link to the archive (In box) on this Beta page right under the heading Group Information! Perhaps I will revamp mine to include a link in this area too!<<

Warning: That isn't always a link to the group.io group. In his case, yes, it is. But it's actually the link that you can add to your Groups description as a website link. In his case, it's his group. But if you check out mine:

https://groups.io/org/groupsio/MMsanctuary

Group Information

You'll see that the link is NOT to MMSanctuary, but to my Yahoo Crusade Blog. So you have to put in the link that you want to be there in that space in description of group. Understand?

Hope that helps!

Brenda

Judy F.

Brenda, I think there was more to the original message than what you are quoting that explained what had to be done as the work around. 

Judy F.

SW Florida - USA

Sent: Thursday, January 22, 2015 11:16 PM
Subject: [beta] Re: New Subscription Options

Frances wrote:>>When I logged out, looked for my group in the directory and clicked on the link on my home page, it required me (properly) to log in. I guess though I am not happy with the idea of having to do a workaround at this point in Groups.io!<<

Not sure what workaround you are referring to. Do you mean having to direct your members to the messages, or do you mean having to log in again once you logged out?

I too agree, maybe there should be a better more obvious link/button or a few messages on the Home page to take you to the "archives" page.

Brenda

Nightowl >8#

Thanks for clearing that up. :) I made a suggestion about putting some of the posts there, or indicating to use a link or button to get to the Archives, so maybe that's what he did.

Brenda

Frances

Hi

I meant to say:
So the design doesn’t have the text of current posts on the group home page, and are not featured in prime real estate on the page.

Frances

On Jan 22 15, at 11:34 PM, Frances <travel@...> wrote:

So the design doesn’t have the text of current posts are not featured in prime real estate on the page.

Frances

Brenda, 

By workaround, I mean that Groups.io is not designed to feature posts on each groups home page.
When you go to your group, you see this:

No actual posts are shown, just the top posters, the top hashtags, and the message history.
So the design doesn’t have the text of current posts are not featured in prime real estate on the page.

However, I now see that Mark has put in a link to the archive (In box) on this Beta page right under the heading Group Information!
Perhaps I will revamp mine to include a link in this area too!

Frances

On Jan 22 15, at 11:15 PM, Feathered Leader <featheredleader@...> wrote:

I guess though I am not happy with the idea of having to do a workaround at this point in Groups.io!<<

Not sure what workaround you are referring to. Do you mean having to direct your members to the messages, or do you mean having to log in again once you logged out?