-----Original Message-----
From: robertgmam@yahoo.co.uk [mailto:robertgmam@yahoo.co.uk]
Sent: Friday, January 30, 2015 7:58 PM
To: beta@groups.io

I wish I hadn't asked now!

Robert.

-----Original Message-----
From: Laurence Taylor
Sent: Friday, January 30, 2015 9:48 PM
To: beta@groups.io

On 26 Jan 2015 15:04, robertgmam@yahoo.co.uk wrote:

_._,_._,_
KKT?

What?

Robert.
The symbols that appeared at the bottom of your post formed the letters KKT in Morse.

They seem to be something produced by Groups IO; they only appear occasionally and on posts from various people.

Both K and T are used at the end of an "over", i.e., as an invitation to transmit.

73 DE G7MZH :)

--
rgds
LAurence

Laurence,

_._,_._,_
The symbols that appeared at the bottom of your post formed the
letters KKT in Morse.
I don't know if that choice of characters had anything to do with Morse code or not, but something similar[1] has long been used in Yahoo Groups' outbound messages as a delimiter for the footer material in HTML formatted messages. They are styled as white text on white so that they are not normally seen.

They provide something that can be automatically detected and trimmed on inbound messages; so that when members reply with full untrimmed quotes the footers don't stack up. Apparently Groups.io uses them too, which is probably no big surprise. In plain text messages Groups.io has a pair of rows of hypens and equal signs, probably put to the same purpose.

The only mystery might be how they came to be visible in someone's post. That may have to do with a conversion between HTML and plain text somewhere.

-- Shal
[1] In Yahoo Groups the lead-in and lead-out sequences have dot and comma exchanged:
__._,_.___
.... footer ...
__,_._,___

I wish I hadn't asked now!

Robert.

On 26 Jan 2015 15:04, robertgmam@yahoo.co.uk wrote:

_._,_._,_
KKT?
What?

Robert.
The symbols that appeared at the bottom of your post formed the letters
KKT in Morse.

They seem to be something produced by Groups IO; they only appear
occasionally and on posts from various people.

Both K and T are used at the end of an "over", i.e., as an invitation to
transmit.

73 DE G7MZH :)

--
rgds
LAurence
<><

Laurence Taylor

On 26 Jan 2015 15:04, robertgmam@yahoo.co.uk wrote:

_._,_._,_
KKT?

What?

Robert.
The symbols that appeared at the bottom of your post formed the letters
KKT in Morse.

They seem to be something produced by Groups IO; they only appear
occasionally and on posts from various people.

Both K and T are used at the end of an "over", i.e., as an invitation to
transmit.

73 DE G7MZH :)

--
rgds
LAurence
<><

You and me both then, Judy!

Robert.

Sent from my BlackBerry 10 smartphone on the O2 network.

On 23/01/2015 09:52, robertgmam@yahoo.co.uk wrote:

_._,_._,_
KKT?

--
rgds
LAurence
<><

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

Laurence Taylor

On 23/01/2015 09:52, robertgmam@yahoo.co.uk wrote:

_._,_._,_
KKT?

--
rgds
LAurence
<><

Mark,

So, if in Message Selection, I have All Messages checked, you think
that I should also be able to check Auto Follow Replies. The reasons
being: if I've muted a hashtag, I'll still want to see any threads
with that hashtag that I've replied in. Also, it's a way to quickly
see on the web which threads I've participated in, by just looking at
the Followed Threads tab. Is that correct?
Correct. It also supports Brenda's use case of collecting all messages in email (as a personal archive) but using the web features (Inbox, Followed Threads) for day-to-day reading.

... and made the whole Message Selection area a collapsed advanced
options area. Let me know what you think.
I like that a lot better than having an option hiding somewhere in one's profile, or worse in the group's settings.

Another idea, rather than the Advanced Options opener, might be to insert a block of introductory text as the first element in Message Selection, above the All Messages selection. You could use it to promote the feature while simultaneously labeling it as advanced. For example:

"This is an advanced feature unique to Groups.io but modeled on web-based forums. With this option you can limit your email traffic to just the topic threads or subject #Hashtags you are interested in. Leave this set to the default, "All Messages", if you prefer standard mailing list behavior."

-- Shal

Shal,

On Thu, Jan 22, 2015 at 5:50 PM, Shal Farley <shal@...> wrote:

I think the concept of distinct exclude and include modes of operation is an unnecessary conceptual complication. And I still think that "Auto Follow Replies" usefully applies also to web-only readers (and hence doesn't belong in a Message Selection option, which I claim ought to be only for email).

Trying to wrap my head around things. Let me see if I have it correct: So, if in Message Selection, I have All Messages checked, you think that I should also be able to check Auto Follow Replies. The reasons being: if I've muted a hashtag, I'll still want to see any threads with that hashtag that I've replied in. Also, it's a way to quickly see on the web which threads I've participated in, by just looking at the Followed Threads tab. Is that correct?

I've updated https://groups.io/static/newsubpage , breaking out auto follow replies into it's own thing, and made the whole Message Selection area a collapsed advanced options area. Let me know what you think.

I'm with Brenda on this. If truth be told, all we really need (emphasis on need as opposed to nice to have) is what we had under Yahoo Classic Groups.