Topics

moderated Members list without members' email addresses #suggestion

Don McKee

[A locked post by the same title, although slightly different request, can be found here.]

I would like the ability to display the "Members" list (not the "Directory") to all subscribers, but omit or obscure the email addresses to those who wouldn't otherwise be able to see them. This would be helpful when I want everyone in a group to be able to see who is (or maybe more importantly, who isn't) subscribed, but still want to maintain some level of privacy.

From a UI perspective, this might be implemented by adding an option to the "Members Visible" setting:
  • Subscribers, but mask email addresses for those without the correct permissions
  • Subscribers
  • All owners, and moderators with the correct permissions
  • Owners Only
Thanks for your consideration!

-Don

I can see an advantage to providing that option, but I think it should be sure to clarify that the email addresses of any members who post cannot be hidden from group members who are subscribed via email.

Also, the display in the list of members without a display name seems problematic. Would you just leave them out?

It's also a little unclear what's meant by "those without the correct permissions." I would leave that out entirely and have it say "Subscribers, but mask email addresses." Otherwise, you're basically implying that some subscribers could see more than some moderators, and that sounds like a mistake.

"the display in the list of members without a display name"

should read

"the list's display of members without a display name"

On Tue, Sep 4, 2018 at 01:28 PM, J_Catlady wrote:
I can see an advantage to providing that option, but I think it should be sure to clarify that the email addresses of any members who post cannot be hidden from group members who are subscribed via email.
I'm not sure what you mean. I'm looking for an option that lists the "Display Name", but  hides a usable email address.

Also, the display in the list of members without a display name seems problematic. Would you just leave them out?
If users haven't set their display name, then just leave them blank or maybe replaced with "<Not Provided>" (I'm fine with the former). In those cases, all you've got to go on is the part of the email address that's displayed (e.g. "don.mckee@..." in my case). If the email address is omitted completely, then this option may not provide much value for those groups whose members don't set their display name.

It's also a little unclear what's meant by "those without the correct permissions." I would leave that out entirely and have it say "Subscribers, but mask email addresses." Otherwise, you're basically implying that some subscribers could see more than some moderators, and that sounds like a mistake.
What you suggested is what I originally had. I changed it to imply that owners (and moderators with appropriate permissions) would still see the entire email address.

-Don

Gerald Boutin <groupsio@...>

On Tue, Sep 4, 2018 at 05:14 PM, Don McKee wrote:

I would like the ability to display the "Members" list (not the "Directory") to all subscribers, but omit or obscure the email addresses to those who wouldn't otherwise be able to see them. This would be helpful when I want everyone in a group to be able to see who is (or maybe more importantly, who isn't) subscribed, but still want to maintain some level of privacy.

 Don,

If you didn't mind a bit of effort and you are handy around a computer, you can already export the groups's member list. It comes as a .json format file. However, that is just a text file and with a little bit of editing and formatting, you could generate a file with whatever info you wanted and include that in a post or upload as a file.

--
Gerald

kr402

For those that get messages via email,
they see the persons complete email
addie. As eg I saw yours, because I
received  your message in my email.

On Tue, Sep 4, 2018 at 03:47 PM, Gerald Boutin wrote:
If you didn't mind a bit of effort and you are handy around a computer, you can already export the groups's member list.
Yes, but only if one has permission to look at the "Members" list in the first place.

Actually, the "Members" page lets you download a CSV (the JSON export is under "Settings"). I guess that for the option I'm asking for, the download button would need to be disabled except for Owners and appropriately authorized moderators.

-Don

On Tue, Sep 4, 2018 at 03:16 PM, Don McKee wrote:
I'm looking for an option that lists the "Display Name", but  hides a usable email address.
You can't hide email addresses in groups.io. You can mask them when they appear onlist, but they will always appear in the email messages.

If users haven't set their display name, then just leave them blank or maybe replaced with "<Not Provided>"
If there's no display name, and you omit (which was one of your suggested options) rather than just mask the email address, then there's no info to display. But if you just mask (aka figleaf) the email address, there's no problem.

I changed it to imply that owners (and moderators with appropriate permissions) would still see the entire email address.
I think it's clear that by selecting "subscribers," owners and mods with the correct permission would also have access. So I don't think you need to say that. Plus, it's a little confusing to refer to subscribers with or without permissions, since subscribers, unlike moderators, are not assigned individual permissions. (Note that the next option below says simply "Subscribers," yet still implies that owners and mods with permission would see the list.)

So I think it all makes sense and is a good idea, as long as you mask (rather than omit) the email addresses and remove the part about permissions in your "subscribers, but mask email" option.