Topics

moderated Ability to apply hashtags to group members #suggestion

This came up in another thread, but it would be a separate feature that can apply to several situations. I'm suggesting an ability to "apply" hashtags to group members. If a member has a certain tag, then all topics they start would automatically have that tag. Possible uses:
  • the member's geographical location in, for example, a group doing sales
  • the species of the member's pet in a group about animals
  • the specific diagnosed disease of the member's pet in a group about pet health
  • the member's area of specialty in a technical group
  • etc
The ability to apply hashtag to a member would also allow moderators to apply a "moderated" hashtag to any member whose threads they want to be automatically moderated, or various other characteristics of hashtags (auto-lock within a given duration, reply to sender, etc.) depending on the member's situation.

There are probably other uses.

In some groups, the members might apply their own hashtags to themselves (e.g., #ToledoOhio) to save themselves from manually adding it to every one of their threads. I see this as akin to the auto-signature, which either the member or the moderators can edit, and it would be on the member page.

I wholeheartedly endorse the idea of member profiles having hashtags, but making them automatically apply to their posts sounds overly complicated.  The results list of the hashtag on a members profile should simply be the other profiles with that same hashtag.

On Wed, Oct 17, 2018 at 07:39 AM, Rob Gordon wrote:
..making them automatically apply to their posts sounds overly complicated. The results list of the hashtag on a members profile should simply be the other profiles with that same hashtag
You could implement whatever functionality is desired, but tagging their posts automatically was the reason for my request of the feature. I want people whose cats have xyz disease or issue to be tagged with #xyz so that their POSTS are automatically tagged with #xyz, (a) facilitating other members' search for posts about that disease or issue and (b) saving the members themselves from having to tag their own posts, some of whom either fail to remember to do it or don't know how.

Having the tag return other profiles (by which I think you might actually mean UserId?) with the same hashtag would be pretty useless at this point, since most UserID profiles (at least in my group) are pretty contentless or don't exist at all. Furthermore, this hashtag idea is per group, not per UserId. It does not make sense to tag groups.io UserIds with group-specific hashtags.

So I think your reply might have been based on a misunderstanding here of my idea, which is to tag group profiles with hashtags. Not groups.io profiles.

Ok, I probably shouldn't have used your post to support the common sense idea of tagging profiles, so I remove my endorsement of your idea.  In your model, a member who usually posted about say "tennis" would have their profile and everything they posted about automatically tagged as "tennis" - even if they suddenly started posting about "volleyball" - what a mess that would create.

You are correct, however, about the profiles having no content - that is a wholly different issue.  Allowing users to tag their profiles - in the example I gave, with "tennis" or "volleyball" would at least provide some content and would allow members to find other members with those interests.

On Wed, Oct 17, 2018 at 11:23 AM, Rob Gordon wrote:
In your model, a member who usually posted about say "tennis" would have their profile and everything they posted about automatically tagged as "tennis" - even if they suddenly started posting about "volleyball" - what a mess that would create.

It would not create a mess since the group moderators would tag the group members with only the hashtags deemed important for that member and that group. In my group, for example, I would tag all members whose cats have large cell lymphoma (as opposed to small cell lymphoma, a radically different disease) so that all the topics they start would be tagged with that designation. There would be no requirement for any member to have any other tags. There would be no requirement, in fact, for any moderators/groups to use the feature at all. So there would be no "mess."

Allowing users to tag their profiles - in the example I gave, with "tennis" or "volleyball" would at least provide some content and would allow members to find other members with those interests.

However, the fact remains that groups.io, unlike, say, Facebook, is message-based rather than profile/user-based. It still would do little or no good for members to be able to "find" other members with those interests. My feature request was a request for a groups.io feature, as currently designed.

"It still would do little or no good for members to be able to "find" other members with those interests".

Sorry, I just could not possibly disagree more.   I should not have commented on your old post - good luck getting the features you want implemented.

I have nothing against letting groups.io members ‘find each other,’ as you put it, but currently at least, there is really no mechanism for that anyway. Group members can access group directories only in groups that have chosen to make it accessible to non-moderators (although in groups where it is accessible, that might be a way for members to find each ofher). There is currently no @ member PM fearure, although that has been requested several times; etc. The whole system is geared on messages, with member profiles almost seeming as an afterthought. If Mark changes that at some point, I could see value in your suggestion.

I envision the hashtags applied to members to be along the lines of identity vs description - e.g. city and state in a group geared towards sales, specialty in a technical group, etc. Using them that way would not create the volleyball vs tennis problem you cite, although of course usage would be up to group moderators (including, as now, which hashtags could be used/applied by non-moderators vs which ones could be used only by moderators).

Best wishes to you as well.

On Oct 17, 2018, at 3:45 PM, Rob Gordon <rob@...> wrote:

"It still would do little or no good for members to be able to "find" other members with those interests".

Sorry, I just could not possibly disagree more.   I should not have commented on your old post - good luck getting the features you want implemented.

Jim Higgins

Received from J_Catlady at 10/17/2018 06:50 PM UTC:

However, the fact remains that groups.io, unlike, say, Facebook, is message-based rather than profile/user-based. It still would do little or no good for members to be able to "find" other members with those interests.

Yes... and it seems to me that if members want to "find" other members with similar interests in Gio groups they subscribe to it would be as easy as posting a message to the group.

Jim H