Topics

moderated #activitylog - Owner changes not recorded

Tom Vail

I'm curious why changes made by the group owner are not recorded in the activity log like they are when a member makes the change?  For example, if a member changes their display name, their name and email are recorded along with the before and after names.  Thank makes it easy to track, but impossible to tack when an owner makes the same change.

Is there some logic to not recording the activity of the owner?  Seems to me the activity log should record all activity.

Peace,
Tom

I have been bitching and moaning to Mark for months, if not years, about the strange logging, or lack thereof, of display name changes by moderators.

I think display name changes are logged now only when done via email, when the member posts via email and groups.io "harvests" the email name and uses it to set the display name. (This now only happens if the display name does not already exist, after I complained groups.io would keep harvesting the email name and substituting it for a purposely set display name.)

I just did a test and changed a member's display name first by the member, then by a moderator, and neither is logged. So I'm guessing the discrepancy is due to the email "feature" (which I would consider just doing away with).

In any case, I think display-name changes should be logged like everything else, and (like everything else) logged correctly, including who made the change, and no matter whether the member or the moderator changed it.

On Sun, Sep 2, 2018 at 10:37 PM, J_Catlady wrote:
I have been bitching and moaning to Mark for months, if not years, about the strange logging, or lack thereof, of display name changes by moderators.
Maybe it would help if you stopped "bitching and moaning" and just had a logical conversation?

I think display name changes are logged now only when done via email
This is not correct, at least on our site.  I just tested it and the following was in the activity log:  "[email address] changed display name from xxx to yyy via web"  I have not tried it via email, but I assume the same message is logged with "via email" in place of "via web."

Peace,
Tom

On Mon, Sep 3, 2018 at 08:48 AM, Tom Vail wrote:
the following was in the activity log:  "[email address] changed display name from xxx to yyy via web"
That's odd, because I just tested it again and the log showed nothing in either case.
Also, formerly when a mod changed the display name, I would see it logged as the member themselves having changed it.
I can go through and find all my emails to support about this.

You can take "bitching and moaning" as a synonym for "complaining." I am always logical. :) Or try to be. :)

On Mon, Sep 3, 2018 at 09:05 AM, J_Catlady wrote:
 "[email address] changed display name from xxx to yyy via web
In that log entry, is that verbatim? Or is [email address] preceded by the current display name?

Ok, I figured out what's happening. It turns out that if a member changes his or her own display name, then it is not logged if that member happens to be a moderator. So this seems to be a major gap that needs filling. It's not only that a moderator changing a member's display name is not logged: it's that a moderator changing their OWN display name is not logged.

Non-moderator members changing their own display name is logged, as you stated.

Tom Vail

Here is what I think is happening.  If a member changes their display name from their own subscription tab, it gets logged.  The same with an owner/moderator, if done through their own subscription tab.  But if an owner/moderator makes the same change under the functions of the Admin tab, they are not logged.  So it appears to me to be the logging is not recorded when done as a function of the owner/moderator privileges, but is done when changes are done through the individual's subscription tab.

J, you mentioned a DN change being logged when the changes are done via email, but I can find no email command available to change the display name?  Can you point me to it?

Peace,
Tom

The email change happens the first time a member posts to the group via email. If (and only if) no display name has already been explicitly set via the web, groups.io harvests the name from the email and slaps it into the display name.

I think you’re right about the rest of it.

On Sep 3, 2018, at 9:38 AM, Tom Vail <tom@...> wrote:

Here is what I think is happening.  If a member changes their display name from their own subscription tab, it gets logged.  The same with an owner/moderator, if done through their own subscription tab.  But if an owner/moderator makes the same change under the functions of the Admin tab, they are not logged.  So it appears to me to be the logging is not recorded when done as a function of the owner/moderator privileges, but is done when changes are done through the individual's subscription tab.

J, you mentioned a DN change being logged when the changes are done via email, but I can find no email command available to change the display name?  Can you point me to it?

Peace,
Tom

ps the log entry for the email action reads ‘set display name via email,’ not ‘changed’

On Sep 3, 2018, at 9:46 AM, J_Catlady <j.olivia.catlady@...> wrote:

[...]

Chris Jones

On Mon, Sep 3, 2018 at 05:38 PM, Tom Vail wrote:
So it appears to me to be the logging is not recorded when done as a function of the owner/moderator privileges, but is done when changes are done through the individual's subscription tab.
I have checked back to the point in time when I and another moderator of a group chaned our display names "via the web". Both changes appear in the Activity Log.

J, you mentioned a DN change being logged when the changes are done via email, but I can find no email command available to change the display name?  Can you point me to it?
I have seen that "via email" in one or two Activity Log entries as well. and would also be interested in knowing details of the process because I cannot see "how" either.

Chris

On Mon, Sep 3, 2018 at 09:50 AM, Chris Jones wrote:
I have seen that "via email" in one or two Activity Log entries as well. and would also be interested in knowing details of the process because I cannot see "how" either.
I explained it a couple of messages back, as well as in my first message in this thread. It's "harvested" from the name in the email address if the display name has not already been set.

Tom Vail

So the "change" via email is not an option the members have, it really only happens the first time they interact with the group when the system tries to initially "set" the DN...correct?

Peace,
Tom

That's correct.