Topics

moderated Email delivery with Hotmail and MSN

Frances

A couple of errors in email delivery with Hotmail and MSN.

My user with a Hotmail address has not received the most recent email from the group.

Delivered
Sep 1
Response
2.6.0 <000301d4423c$13bd21a0$3b3764e0$@net> [InternalId=5226975234757, Hostname=CY1NAM02HT227.eop-nam02.prod.protection.outlook.com] 10123 bytes in 0.299, 33.052 KB/sec Queued mail for delivery -> 250 2.1.5

And MSN:
Delivered
Sep 1
Response
2.6.0 <000301d4423c$13bd21a0$3b3764e0$@net> [InternalId=17441862226796, Hostname=DM3NAM03HT245.eop-NAM03.prod.protection.outlook.com] 10123 bytes in 0.325, 30.363 KB/sec Queued mail for delivery -> 250 2.1.5

Recent, but I only looked because another owner on the GroupManagers forum said his Hotmail members were complaining.

Frances

Drew

We have approx 200 Hotmail/MSN subscribers. From my sampling it appears that all who are email subscribers to our group are showing the "250 2.1.5" delivery response. Only one person has actually complained about not receiving emails so far.

Drew

On 09/02/18 10:18, Frances wrote:
[...]

Bob Bellizzi

On email, queued means exactly that; the message is queued up for delivery.
RoadRunner calls it delayed and will retry
I think there's an RFC that defined the process to attempt delivery of a message after it is queued.
--

Bob Bellizzi

Founder, Fuchs Friends ®

Jim Higgins

Received from Frances at 9/2/2018 02:18 PM UTC:

A couple of errors in email delivery with Hotmail and MSN.

My user with a Hotmail address has not received the most recent email from the group.
Queued mail for delivery -> 250 2.1.5

And MSN:
Queued mail for delivery -> 250 2.1.5

These aren't errors. This mail was delivered successfully. All response codes beginning with 2 indicate success of the requested transaction.

Jim H

Michael Pavan

A couple of errors in email delivery with Hotmail and MSN.

My user with a Hotmail address has not received the most recent email from the group.
Queued mail for delivery -> 250 2.1.5

And MSN:
Queued mail for delivery -> 250 2.1.5

These aren't errors. This mail was delivered successfully. All response codes beginning with 2 indicate success of the requested transaction.
I think most people believe the meaning of “Email Delivery History” is: ‘if, and when emails were delivered’,
and that the meaning of “Queued mail for delivery” is: 'queued and still waiting to be delivered’ until the “Email Delivery History” is updated to show when it was delivered.

“Queued” implies waiting to ‘get on the bus’, in other words ‘not going anywhere’ or undelivered.

Not having a legend explaining what the codes mean in plain, non-IT language is what is causing the doubt many are expressing.
Could these codes be made ‘clickable’ or when ‘hovered over’ to reveal their plain, non-IT language meanings?

Jim Higgins

Received from Michael Pavan at 9/2/2018 09:06 PM UTC:

A couple of errors in email delivery with Hotmail and MSN.

My user with a Hotmail address has not received the most recent email
from the group.
Queued mail for delivery -> 250 2.1.5

And MSN:
Queued mail for delivery -> 250 2.1.5

These aren't errors. This mail was delivered successfully. All response
codes beginning with 2 indicate success of the requested transaction.

I think most people believe the meaning of "Email Delivery History" is: "if, and when emails were delivered",
and that the meaning of "Queued mail for delivery" is: "queued and still waiting to be delivered" until the "Email Delivery Histor" is updated to show when it was delivered.

That's a reasonable assumption... as long as you also read the whole message to see WHO made the report on delivery status and WHO might be queueing (delaying) the mail. In the case where specific examples were given, it was Outlook.com. Outlook.com belongs to Microsoft... as do MSN and Hotmail. And even if that isn't common knowledge, none of them are Groups.io. So the delivery message was Outlook.com telling Groups.io, "I've got the mail and will deliver it to my customer momentarily." Groups.io has no way to determine whether Outlook.com actually follows thru... so Outlook/MSN/Hotmail customers who aren't getting mail, but who have 250 status reports at GIO, need to contact Outlook/MSN/Hotmail.

Jim H

Frances

Hi

About:

That's a reasonable assumption... as long as you also read the whole message to see WHO made the report on delivery status and WHO might be queueing (delaying) the mail. In the case where specific examples were given, it was Outlook.com. Outlook.com belongs to Microsoft... as do MSN and Hotmail. And even if that isn't common knowledge, none of them are Groups.io. So the delivery message was Outlook.com telling Groups.io, "I've got the mail and will deliver it to my customer momentarily." Groups.io has no way to determine whether Outlook.com actually follows thru... so Outlook/MSN/Hotmail customers who aren't getting mail, but who have 250 status reports at GIO, need to contact Outlook/MSN/Hotmail.
Except that we know that there have been problems with some email providers (or iSPs?) before. Mark has had to reach out to the companies to stop treating the Groups.io messages like spam.

At least that was my untechnical understanding!

Frances

Jim Higgins

Received from Frances at 9/3/2018 01:51 AM UTC:

Except that we know that there have been problems with some email providers (or iSPs?) before. Mark has had to reach out to the companies to stop treating the Groups.io messages like spam.

At least that was my untechnical understanding!

Yes, but the ones doing that aren't giving 2xy responses. they're giving 550... a permanent rejection.

Jim H