Topics

moderated "suspend membership" action #suggestion

One step beyond putting a member on moderation would be to temporarily "suspend" their membership. Suspension would entail the person not having access to the group, as if they were not a member at all, until the membership is restored. This would be very useful in some cases in our group. Since we are a premium group, we have the ability to effect this by removing the member and then direct-adding them back in. But suspension would be more desirable, because they could be restored with one click and would not be treated like a new member again, with the welcome and direct-add messages.

There have been at least a few people mention that this would be handy for various reasons, usually related to a paid membership in a club/group.  One question that comes to mind is how long this status would remain?  Or would the suspended member need to be removed manually?

Duane

Good question. My original idea was they would have to be reinstated manually. But being able to specify a duration of the suspension might be convenient ("two days", "one week", "a month", "forever"?) "Forever" would just mean they would have to be reinstated manually.

On Fri, Aug 31, 2018 at 12:34 PM Duane <txpigeon@...> wrote:
There have been at least a few people mention that this would be handy for various reasons, usually related to a paid membership in a club/group.  One question that comes to mind is how long this status would remain?  Or would the suspended member need to be removed manually?

Bob Bellizzi

J, that's a  really great idea.  It would work well for our online support group.  There is an occasional person who needs total deprivation to get them to understand how important their posts can be.
I would envision it as another dropdown list in Members
--

Bob Bellizzi

Founder, Fuchs Friends ®

Just realizing you said "removed manually." My thought was that actual removal would not happen automatically. That would be by hand. But reinstatement could possibly be automatic, depending on the duration specified. Or maybe the reverse? (removal would be automatic after a specified time period, but reinstatement would always be manual). I don't know. They both have pros and cons and either way seems fine, or neither (both by hand).